block Internet access to users - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on block Internet access to users - Microsoft Windows ; I block Internet access by not setting a gateway and DNS in the TCP/IP settings. That way users can't connect to the Internet since they don't have Administrator rights to change that settings. But sometimes I have to log on ...

  1. block Internet access to users

    I block Internet access by not setting a gateway and DNS in the TCP/IP
    settings. That way users can't connect to the Internet since they don't
    have Administrator rights to change that settings. But sometimes I have
    to log on and I have to change the settings back to download some
    software or to allow Windows Update to download patches.
    Do you know how to set it so that it automatically allows access to
    Administrator and denies it to everyone else?

  2. Re: block Internet access to users

    mdiazfreire@hotmail.com writes:

    > I block Internet access by not setting a gateway and DNS in the
    > TCP/IP settings.

    I guess that works if you have a single subnet.

    > That way users can't connect to the Internet since they don't have
    > Administrator rights to change that settings. But sometimes I have
    > to log on and I have to change the settings back to download some
    > software or to allow Windows Update to download patches. Do you
    > know how to set it so that it automatically allows access to
    > Administrator and denies it to everyone else?

    The usual real solution to this is a business grade firewall that
    supports user logins for egress filtering. Users wouldn't have an
    id, administrator would. Workstations could actually have DNS and a
    gateway but just wouldn't be able to do much with em.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/