Text editor and command prompt - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Text editor and command prompt - Microsoft Windows ; Here are some of my querries..... what is command prompt in windows XP? I am learning C programming and using Turbo C Compiler.......Now, I want to make a text editor which I can open in the command prompt(I recently found ...

  1. Text editor and command prompt

    Here are some of my querries.....

    what is command prompt in windows XP?

    I am learning C programming and using Turbo C Compiler.......Now, I
    want to make a text editor which I can open in the command prompt(I
    recently found out that it is called a console application.....more
    explanation will be appreciated and helpful)........Till now I have the
    idea that it can best done by memory mapped files technique.....but i
    didn't find the required library files in Turbo C, so where can i find
    the headers/functions for memory mapping?which compiler?

    what is a WIN32 application?

    I know that these are very simple questions....but I'm confused?

    Please reply.....

    Thanx

  2. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    "AMN" writes:

    > Here are some of my querries.....
    >
    > what is command prompt in windows XP?

    Strat> run> cmd.exe

    > I am learning C programming and using Turbo C Compiler.......Now, I
    > want to make a text editor which I can open in the command prompt

    From the command prompt, just type
    c:\> edit filename.blah

    Edit is the ms dos text editor. it's a text-mode application. It
    does not require windows to run. The pull-down looking menus are
    accessed with alt+the highlighted letter. E.g. Alt-f for the file
    menu.

    > (I recently found out that it is called a console
    > application.....more explanation will be appreciated and
    > helpful)........Till now I have the idea that it can best done by
    > memory mapped files technique.....but i didn't find the required
    > library files in Turbo C, so where can i find the headers/functions
    > for memory mapping?which compiler?
    >
    > what is a WIN32 application?

    Simply an application that runs in the 32-bit windows environment. If
    you're in windows reading, this, you're probably reading it with a
    win32 application.

    Your turbo c compiler will take your source code, compile it to object
    code and link it into a win32 application (.exe file).

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "AMN" writes:
    >
    > > Here are some of my querries.....
    > >
    > > what is command prompt in windows XP?

    > Strat> run> cmd.exe
    >

    > > I am learning C programming and using Turbo C Compiler.......Now, I
    > > want to make a text editor which I can open in the command prompt

    > From the command prompt, just type
    > c:\> edit filename.blah

    I have seen that editor......but as i said i m learning C programming
    and i want to make a text editor .......???

    >>Till now I have the idea that it can best done by
    > > memory mapped files technique.....but i didn't find the required
    > > library files in Turbo C, so where can i find the headers/functions
    > > for memory mapping?which compiler?

    ............??????

    Thanx

  4. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    "AMN" writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > "AMN" writes:
    > >
    > > > Here are some of my querries.....
    > > >
    > > > what is command prompt in windows XP?

    > > Strat> run> cmd.exe
    > >

    > > > I am learning C programming and using Turbo C Compiler.......Now, I
    > > > want to make a text editor which I can open in the command prompt

    > > From the command prompt, just type
    > > c:\> edit filename.blah

    > I have seen that editor......but as i said i m learning C programming
    > and i want to make a text editor .......???

    Oh...you actually meant make/write.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "AMN" writes:
    >
    > > Todd H. wrote:

    > > > Strat> run> cmd.exe

    > > > From the command prompt, just type
    > > > c:\> edit filename.blah

    > > I have seen that editor......but as i said i m learning C programming
    > > and i want to make a text editor .......???

    > Oh...you actually meant make/write.

    okay..... yeah i meant to develop/program such a test editor.......So,
    u realized that.....it appears that the question or the problem (
    writng a text editor is so difficult that no one knows about it)........

  6. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    "AMN" writes:

    > okay..... yeah i meant to develop/program such a test editor.......So,
    > u realized that.....it appears that the question or the problem (
    > writng a text editor is so difficult that no one knows about
    > it)........

    You'll wanna head to a developer C newsgroup. Or download an install
    any of existing open source dos based editors to have a peek.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "AMN" writes:
    >
    > > okay..... yeah i meant to develop/program such a test editor.......So,
    > > u realized that.....it appears that the question or the problem (
    > > writng a text editor is so difficult that no one knows about
    > > it)........

    > You'll wanna head to a developer C newsgroup. Or download an install
    > any of existing open source dos based editors to have a peek.

    Okay thanx.......but where in my posts,have i said that I want to
    develop a "Dos text editor" ???? "console text editor".....check my
    posts,I've asked about memory mapping which isn't supported by dos......

  8. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    "AMN" writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > "AMN" writes:
    > >
    > > > okay..... yeah i meant to develop/program such a test editor.......So,
    > > > u realized that.....it appears that the question or the problem (
    > > > writng a text editor is so difficult that no one knows about
    > > > it)........

    > > You'll wanna head to a developer C newsgroup. Or download an install
    > > any of existing open source dos based editors to have a peek.
    > >

    > Okay thanx.......but where in my posts,have i said that I want to
    > develop a "Dos text editor" ???? "console text editor".....check my
    > posts,I've asked about memory mapping which isn't supported by
    > dos......

    AMN, your posts hardly make any goddamn sense to me to be quite
    honest. I'm sure that's my fault. But you post to a windows
    newsgroup and start talking about console text editing... well, you
    are aware that cmd.exe aka "DOS prompt" is the command shell for win32
    and that if you're gonna code up a console mode text editor it's gonna
    have to run in a dos shell right? Or how creatively are you defining
    "console text editor?"

    The last time I used Turbo C was 16 years ago. Evidently Borland
    bought back that brand and is selling current products under that
    monicker. News to me.

    At any rate, you'll get where you wanna go faster by finding a
    programming newsgroup where this question is on topic and in teh
    wheelhouse of the participants versus pissing and moaning to the only
    guy remotely trying to help you in this ng.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  9. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "AMN" writes:
    >
    > > Todd H. wrote:

    > > > You'll wanna head to a developer C newsgroup. Or download an install
    > > > any of existing open source dos based editors to have a peek.
    > > >

    > > Okay thanx.......but where in my posts,have i said that I want to
    > > develop a "Dos text editor" ???? "console text editor".....check my
    > > posts,I've asked about memory mapping which isn't supported by
    > > dos......

    > AMN, your posts hardly make any goddamn sense to me to be quite
    > honest. I'm sure that's my fault. But you post to a windows
    > newsgroup and start talking about console text editing... well, you
    > are aware that cmd.exe aka "DOS prompt" is the command shell for win32
    > and that if you're gonna code up a console mode text editor it's gonna
    > have to run in a dos shell right? Or how creatively are you defining
    > "console text editor?"
    >
    > The last time I used Turbo C was 16 years ago. Evidently Borland
    > bought back that brand and is selling current products under that
    > monicker. News to me.
    >
    > At any rate, you'll get where you wanna go faster by finding a
    > programming newsgroup where this question is on topic and in teh
    > wheelhouse of the participants versus pissing and moaning to the only
    > guy remotely trying to help you in this ng.
    >
    > Best Regards,

    Thanx Todd.......
    Actually i was directed to this newsgroup from
    comp.os.ms-dos.programmer and when i put up my querry here u directed
    me to somewhere else.......so u c it naturally boiled me .........

    Anyway u r right that in saying that i should go to a programmers group
    and i have gone.........

    I thought cmd.exe has nothing to do with DOS?? it's a console
    application which i want to write and so i can use the memory mapping
    function of windows.......

    Okay I m thankful to u for helping me at your best........

    Thanx
    AMN

  10. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    AMN wrote:
    > Todd H. wrote:

    > > > Okay thanx.......but where in my posts,have i said that I want to
    > > > develop a "Dos text editor" ???? "console text editor".....check my
    > > > posts,I've asked about memory mapping which isn't supported by
    > > > dos......

    > > AMN, your posts hardly make any goddamn sense to me to be quite
    > > honest. I'm sure that's my fault. But you post to a windows
    > > newsgroup and start talking about console text editing... well, you
    > > are aware that cmd.exe aka "DOS prompt" is the command shell for win32
    > > and that if you're gonna code up a console mode text editor it's gonna
    > > have to run in a dos shell right? Or how creatively are you defining
    > > "console text editor?"
    > >
    > > The last time I used Turbo C was 16 years ago. Evidently Borland
    > > bought back that brand and is selling current products under that
    > > monicker. News to me.
    > >
    > > At any rate, you'll get where you wanna go faster by finding a
    > > programming newsgroup where this question is on topic and in teh
    > > wheelhouse of the participants versus pissing and moaning to the only
    > > guy remotely trying to help you in this ng.
    > >
    > > Best Regards,

    > Thanx Todd.......
    > Actually i was directed to this newsgroup from
    > comp.os.ms-dos.programmer and when i put up my querry here u directed
    > me to somewhere else.......so u c it naturally boiled me .........
    >
    > Anyway u r right that in saying that i should go to a programmers group
    > and i have gone.........
    >
    > I thought cmd.exe has nothing to do with DOS?? it's a console
    > application which i want to write and so i can use the memory mapping
    > function of windows.......
    >
    > Okay I m thankful to u for helping me at your best........
    >
    > Thanx
    > AMN

    Also there is a little chance that a Programmers group could explain me
    about memory mapping,paging and virtual memory ......they will just
    tell me how to use these functions but wouldn't explain how windows do
    this/manage this......so i thought atleast this group can explain me
    these since it can be covered in miscelleneous topics of windows......

  11. Re: Text editor and command prompt

    "AMN" writes:

    > I thought cmd.exe has nothing to do with DOS??

    Yes and no. On one hand, you can say taht DOS was an operating system
    (well, sorta--it wasn't even multi-user) that had command.com as its
    command interpreter that provided the happy c:\> prompt we all know
    and hate. cmd.exe on the other hand is a command line interface for
    the Windows operating system that implements an environment very very
    similar to what folks remember of command.com in DOS.

    As such, colloquially folks will blur the two and refer to a cmd.exe
    window as "DOS" or the "DOS prompt." That's a bit sloppy in wording,
    I'll grant.

    > it's a console application which i want to write and so i can use
    > the memory mapping function of windows.......

    A Windows _programming_ newsgroup or web forum would be where I'd
    point you. You have a variety to choose from, all of which will be
    more technical than us folks here can give ya:
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33583489

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 might be the place to start over
    there is my guess if you need to leverage functions not available in a
    pure old school DOS environment. A quick search in that group
    indicated memory mapped goodies have been discussed there before.

    > Okay I m thankful to u for helping me at your best........

    You're welcome.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.