Need alternative to Yahoo messenger - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Need alternative to Yahoo messenger - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Hi,

    I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    see that).

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    >search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    >the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    >be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    >something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    >prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    >html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    >and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    >messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    >see that).

    Read up on Gaim and see if that works for you
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/

    --
    Remember the forgotten hero who saved the world
    http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/09/26/2259237.shtml

  3. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:30:45 -0500, wrote:

    > kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    >> search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    >> the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    >> be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    >> something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    >> prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    >> html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    >> and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    >> messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    >> see that).

    > Read up on Gaim and see if that works for you
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/

    Yes, Gaim and Trillian are both awesome.

    --

    I research freeware http://bearbottoms1.com

  4. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    > search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    > the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    > be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    > something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    > prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    > html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    > and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    > messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    > see that).

    There are some big technical hurdles with this idea. To get the privacy you
    desire, you must give up the primary advantage offered by a central server.

    If you and a friend log onto a normal service, each with some unexpected
    address, perhaps one never used before by either of you (typical of DHCP
    address assignment), if you both log into a central switchboard, the
    switchboard will resolve your user names and make each of you aware of the
    other.

    If, by contrast, you decide to use client apps that do not rely on a central
    server, you would have to think of a way to tell your friend where you are
    and what address you have on a particular day. That sounds difficult.

    You know, not every use of a central server represents a plot by Big Brother
    to invade your privacy. That is only usually true.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

  5. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    If I can recall correctly bitwise is secure in its messages by encrypting
    them.

    If that is what you mean...

    as for yahoo and msn, you can set the settings so no one will add you ore
    message you

    By the way, the msn-yahoo service integration just became live today...
    they can talk to each other

    wrote in message
    news:1159395287.298461.24260@i42g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    > search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    > the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    > be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    > something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    > prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    > html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    > and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    > messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    > see that).
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  6. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    kara.t@mailinator.com wrote in news:1159395287.298461.24260
    @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a

    I highly recommend Miranda over Trillian and Gaim. It's only for Windows
    platform but I find that it's the smallest and leanest in resource usage.
    You can add on as many or as few "plugins" or modules as you like.

    Find it here:

    For your query on using a proprietary protocol in privacy, try BitWise at
    . It's as good as Miranda and offers the
    possibilty of one to one encrypted messaging without routing through any
    central server.

    Preema

  7. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    "Bear Bottoms" writes:

    > Yes, Gaim and Trillian are both awesome.

    Trillian I'd call awesome, but a bit of a lumbering Giant at least on
    the 1GHz P3 box I have. It is very slickly put together. I went with
    teh Pro version and like it quite a bit, except on that one slow
    machine.

    Gaim is a nice, free multiprotocol IM client. However, it's lacks
    polish and has several annoyances at least in its Windows
    incarnation. I hate how it leaves little status balloons up in the
    workspace periodically and you have to click something on the contact
    list to make them go away. The add buddy interface is pretty clunky,
    and the multi-party chat initiation could all be improved. Trillian
    gets all that stuff right.

    However, all this may not answer the OP's question, which I believe is
    more one of IM network feature support vs that of clients?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  8. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    kara.t@mailinator.com writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    > search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    > the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    > be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    > something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    > prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    > html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    > and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    > messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    > see that).

    If you have a budget, and can stand up a server on one of the machines
    and point all clients to it, IBM Lotus sametime instant messenger
    system will do this. Its client/architecture supports this notion of
    visibility only to a select group of users, and the client is pretty
    as yer used to, and idle time away messages and all that familiar
    stuff is out there. The server can be configured to listen on port 80
    if you desire.
    http://ibm.com/lotus/sametime/

    There are plugins for both Trillian and GAIM to support it too. I
    have a colleague who's a geek in a big Lotus Notes shop. I'm not sure
    if its available separately of Notes for small groups though. But it
    would get you where you wanna go, for a price.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  9. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    > search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    > the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    > be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    > something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    > prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    > html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    > and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    > messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    > see that).
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    I think you can do this with AIM--just select Direct Chat or something
    along those lines. I've never used IM before, but I have heard somewhere
    (I forget where) that AIM can do what's called "direct IM" that only
    uses the central server to let the two computers find out each other's
    IP address--then it's all between the computers and no central server. I
    also heard in the same place that the "photo IM" or something along
    those lines is also direct. As for encryption...I know you can do
    encryption when using the central server (to keep AOL and others from
    reading your messages) and I would have to assume that you can do the
    same with Direct IM.

  10. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    If Yahoo Messenger is the main criteria you may want to take a look at
    YahElite (www.yahelite.org). It will only do Yahoo, and it is free,
    even thoghh they talk about paying for it on the home page. Both
    versions of the software are identical, and I have been using it for
    well over a year with good results.

    If you want to use the Conference feature of Yahoo, this software is
    not for you, as it does not support conferences. Also file sharing is a
    bit of a pain, and will only work with others using YahElite.

    David
    kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    > search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    > the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    > be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    > something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    > prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    > html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    > and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    > messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    > see that).
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  11. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    On 27 Sep 2006 15:14:47 -0700, kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    >search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    >the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    >be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    >something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    >prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    >html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    >and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    >messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    >see that).

    If you want a clean, light, safe, encrypted IM program with no
    garbage, BitWise is by far the best. Easy to register with a minimum
    of info, easy to install, easy to use.

    www.bitwiseim.com
    -

    Bob

  12. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    "AnonyMouse" wrote in message
    > kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    >> search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    >> the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    >> be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    >> something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    >> prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    >> html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    >> and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    >> messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    >> see that).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > I think you can do this with AIM--just select Direct Chat or something
    > along those lines. I've never used IM before, but I have heard somewhere
    > (I forget where) that AIM can do what's called "direct IM" that only uses
    > the central server to let the two computers find out each other's IP
    > address--then it's all between the computers and no central server. I also
    > heard in the same place that the "photo IM" or something along those lines
    > is also direct. As for encryption...I know you can do encryption when
    > using the central server (to keep AOL and others from reading your
    > messages) and I would have to assume that you can do the same with Direct
    > IM.

    I recommend Trillian from ceruleanstudios dot com

    --
    The generation that used acid to escape reality
    is now using antacid to deal with reality

  13. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Bear Bottoms wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:30:45 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >> kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    >>> search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    >>> the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    >>> be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    >>> something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    >>> prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    >>> html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    >>> and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    >>> messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    >>> see that).

    >> Read up on Gaim and see if that works for you
    >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/
    >>

    > Yes, Gaim and Trillian are both awesome.

    That doesn't really answer the original poster's question, though: Clients
    can't fix the inherent flaws in the Obsolete Four networks that he's
    worried about.

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  14. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:

    > Mainly, I want to be able to be invisible to the world, except for people
    > I select: something Yahoo and MSN won't do.

    Jabber is the only instant messenger network that can do that. You have
    final say on who is allowed to subscribe to your presence info (see your
    status), and you have final say on what status each individual person on
    your list sees (so you can be Online, but say you find Jerry tends to be
    annoying if he doesn't think you're busy, and you want to throttle Bill for
    some reason. Well, you can set yourself Do Not Disturb for Jerry and
    Invisible for Bill.

    > I would also like it to be secure (I
    > prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    > html port).

    No network uses port 80. It's the HTTP port: HTTP services are assigned to
    that port. There are web clients that are helpful if you're behind a
    restrictive firewall, such as JWChat. I have one installed on my local
    jabber server at http://jabber.ursine.ca/ and there's a public installation
    that can use any jabber server at http://www.jwchat.org/

    > It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    > and everyone has to use the same software.

    That's the great thing about Jabber: All clients that support Jabber are as
    official as any other. It's one of the reasons Jabber is more popular than
    Yahoo Messenger and approaching the popularity of ICQ.

    Some popular Jabber resources:

    http://www.jabber.org/ (Jabber's official website)

    http://talk.google.com/ (Google's well-known Jabber service, requires Google
    account to use)

    http://www.livejournal.com/ljtalk/ (LiveJournal's Jabber server, requires LJ
    account to use)

    http://www.imfederation.com/ (Big list of public, open and functional Jabber
    servers)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabber (Wikipedia's description of Jabber).

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  15. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Todd H. wrote:

    > "Bear Bottoms" writes:
    >
    >> Yes, Gaim and Trillian are both awesome.

    > Trillian I'd call awesome, but a bit of a lumbering Giant at least on
    > the 1GHz P3 box I have. It is very slickly put together.

    If it's a lumbering giant, it's not very slickly put together. I would call
    it slickly put together if Trillian ran stably, didn't have such a
    convoluted GUI, didn't crash just because someone sent you a chat invite
    (like Trillian Pro does on Jabber) and came in around a megabyte like Psi
    does.

    > Gaim is a nice, free multiprotocol IM client. However, it's lacks
    > polish and has several annoyances at least in its Windows
    > incarnation.

    GAIM has polish, it just uses GTK instead of the MS widgets so it
    doesn't "look" like a Windows program. Though it is annoying, popping up
    status windows for trivial crap that barely warrants a mention in a debug
    log. And memory leaks as bad as Trillian.

    > I hate how it leaves little status balloons up in the
    > workspace periodically and you have to click something on the contact
    > list to make them go away. The add buddy interface is pretty clunky,
    > and the multi-party chat initiation could all be improved. Trillian
    > gets all that stuff right.

    Trillian gets it just as wrong, just makes you get there a different way
    than GAIM does. Windows Messanger, the old school ICQ clients and Psi get
    this right.

    > However, all this may not answer the OP's question, which I believe is
    > more one of IM network feature support vs that of clients?

    That's how I read the OP's post, too, which is why I'm a little bit
    surprised everybody went for the pinhead "Trillian" answer to what is
    obviously a network question. )

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  16. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    DWACON wrote:

    > I recommend Trillian from ceruleanstudios dot com

    For an IM client, it's impossible to beat Psi. It only does Jabber, but
    that's what transports to the Obsolete Four are for until your contacts
    move to Jabber anyway. It's rock solid, and doesn't crap out just because
    you got a chat invite like Trillian Pro does...

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  17. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Todd H. wrote:

    > If you have a budget, and can stand up a server on one of the machines
    > and point all clients to it, IBM Lotus sametime instant messenger
    > system will do this.

    How does Sametime's TCO compare to Jabber? How about functionality?

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  18. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Top posting is considered harmful. Please quote in the same direction we all
    read English: Conversational order.
    http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting

    Humphry wrote:

    > If I can recall correctly bitwise is secure in its messages by encrypting
    > them.

    What kind of encryption? Has this code received peer review (ie, is it open
    source? If not, how do we know it actually uses the encryption they
    advertise, and that it is actually secure?)

    > By the way, the msn-yahoo service integration just became live today...
    > they can talk to each other

    That's been live for a while now according to my roommate, who talks to
    Yahoo users via MSN via the MSN-Jabber transport on msn.ursine.ca...

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  19. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Bob Adkins wrote:

    > If you want a clean, light, safe, encrypted IM program with no
    > garbage, BitWise is by far the best. Easy to register with a minimum
    > of info, easy to install, easy to use.

    How does Bitwise do compared to Jabber, which is an open standard and allows
    for known good encryption, and has peer review of the source code on all
    widely used server and client software?

    How do we know the encryption is strong and that the code is safe if there
    is no peer review? Show me the source!

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  20. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:01:33 -0500, "Mrs. Sock Puppet" wrote:

    >kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    >> search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    >> the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    >> be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    >> something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    >> prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    >> html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    >> and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    >> messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    >> see that).
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    >Try trillian or cheetah chat.

    Windows Messenger.