Need alternative to Yahoo messenger - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Need alternative to Yahoo messenger - Microsoft Windows ; Barry OGrady wrote: > Windows Messenger. ....is a choice against freedom. 1) Only allowed to use official MS clients. 2) All data sent via MSN becomes property of Microsoft Corporation, be it a private, personal conversation or your company's trade ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > Windows Messenger.

    ....is a choice against freedom.

    1) Only allowed to use official MS clients.
    2) All data sent via MSN becomes property of Microsoft Corporation, be it a
    private, personal conversation or your company's trade secrets.
    3) Only Microsoft can run a server for that network.

    Jabber uses the same email-style addressing as MSN, but...

    1) Allows any client from any vendor as long as it implements XMPP properly.
    2) Being decentralized, nobody else can claim ownership of data transferred
    via the network, particularly if you use the OpenPGP encryption built into
    most clients.
    3) Anybody can start their own Jabber server.

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  2. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    In article <1159395287.298461.24260@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    kara.t@mailinator.com says...
    > I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    > search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    > the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    > be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    > something Yahoo and MSN won't do.

    Yahoo Messenger and Windows Live Messenger do exactly this. I use both.

    --
    Howard

  3. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    Gaim for the win
    wrote in message
    > kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    >>search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    >>the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    >>be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    >>something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    >>prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    >>html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    >>and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    >>messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    >>see that).

    > Read up on Gaim and see if that works for you
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/
    >
    > --
    > Remember the forgotten hero who saved the world
    > http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/09/26/2259237.shtml

  4. Re: Need alternative to Yahoo messenger

    "The Fallen One" writes:
    > Gaim for the win
    > wrote in message
    > > kara.t@mailinator.com wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>I am looking for an alternative the Yahoo and MSN messenger. I did a
    > >>search, and there are a bunch, but I would have to install them to see
    > >>the features - so I'm hoping someone can suggest one. Mainly, I want to
    > >>be able to be invisible to the world, except for people I select -
    > >>something Yahoo and MSN won't do. I would also like it to be secure (I
    > >>prefer it exclusively uses port 80 to operate - that's the standard
    > >>html port). It's fine if it's not compatable with other messengers,
    > >>and everyone has to use the same software. It needs to do instant
    > >>messaging, and show when a user is idle (again, only users you allow to
    > >>see that).

    > > Read up on Gaim and see if that works for you
    > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/

    Gaim's decent and responsive and works. Caveat: haven't jumped to
    2.x yet.

    Now, if you want all that with "pretty" consider Trillian. But it
    does have a relatively pokey load time for all hte prettiness.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/