Bypass XP Pro password? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Bypass XP Pro password? - Microsoft Windows ; I recently pulled a computer out of garbage and was surprised it booted. Unfortunately, it's password protected and the password has expired. I have no way of obtaining PW, as previous owner has moved. I'd really like it to boot ...

  1. Bypass XP Pro password?

    I recently pulled a computer out of garbage and was surprised it
    booted. Unfortunately, it's password protected and the password has
    expired. I have no way of obtaining PW, as previous owner has moved.

    I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware info and
    settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.

    Can it be done?????

    TomJ

  2. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    25.09.2006 20:32, TomJ schrob:

    > I recently pulled a computer out of garbage and was surprised it
    > booted. Unfortunately, it's password protected and the password has
    > expired. I have no way of obtaining PW, as previous owner has moved.
    >
    > I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware info and
    > settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.
    >
    > Can it be done?????
    >
    > TomJ

    What about a linux boot CD? It should deliver all necessary information to
    you. I don't have any names now, but there are pretty small CD images out
    there.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla' - http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/
    No user was harmed by sending this Outlook-free message.

  3. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    Frank Steinmetzger writes:

    > 25.09.2006 20:32, TomJ schrob:
    >
    > > I recently pulled a computer out of garbage and was surprised it
    > > booted. Unfortunately, it's password protected and the password has
    > > expired. I have no way of obtaining PW, as previous owner has moved.
    > >
    > > I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware info and
    > > settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.
    > >
    > > Can it be done?????
    > >
    > > TomJ

    > What about a linux boot CD? It should deliver all necessary information to
    > you. I don't have any names now, but there are pretty small CD images out
    > there.

    That wouldn't help him in getting settings necessarily if registry
    reading is a requirement.

    TomJ here's your answer:
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    25.09.2006 22:11, Todd H. schrob:

    >>> I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware info and
    >>> settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.

    >> What about a linux boot CD? It should deliver all necessary information to
    >> you. I don't have any names now, but there are pretty small CD images out
    >> there.

    > That wouldn't help him in getting settings necessarily if registry
    > reading is a requirement.

    ???
    He wants to get the hardware info and then "wipe the HD" in order to
    install Win98. So there is no need for reading the registry.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla' - http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/
    No user was harmed by sending this Outlook-free message.

  5. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    TomJ wrote in

    > I recently pulled a computer out of garbage and was
    > surprised it booted. Unfortunately, it's password
    > protected and the password has expired. I have no way of
    > obtaining PW, as previous owner has moved.
    >
    > I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware
    > info and settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.
    >
    > Can it be done?????
    >
    > TomJ

    I could be wrong, but I believe you are talking about the BIOS
    password. Leave the computer plugged into a grounded outlet and
    make sure there's no static around. Open the machine, remove the
    motherboard battery *or* pull out the BIOS chip, and replace
    (carefully). Done.

  6. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    Frank Steinmetzger writes:
    > 25.09.2006 22:11, Todd H. schrob:

    > >> What about a linux boot CD? It should deliver all necessary information to
    > >> you. I don't have any names now, but there are pretty small CD images out
    > >> there.

    > > That wouldn't help him in getting settings necessarily if registry
    > > reading is a requirement.

    > ???
    > He wants to get the hardware info and then "wipe the HD" in order to
    > install Win98. So there is no need for reading the registry.

    Maybe, maybe not. If he doesn't need to get into the OS at all, why
    is he wanting the XP password?

    If he wants to reset the password for XP, a linux boot disk isn't
    gonna do it unless it includes captive ntfs and a means of resetting
    SAM file entries.

    Or, there's ntpasswd.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    26.09.2006 02:58, Todd H. schrob:

    >> He wants to get the hardware info and then "wipe the HD" in order to
    >> install Win98. So there is no need for reading the registry.

    > Maybe, maybe not. If he doesn't need to get into the OS at all, why
    > is he wanting the XP password?

    To use the already installed XP to get the hardware info (so I reckon).
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla' - http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/
    No user was harmed by sending this Outlook-free message.

  8. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    TomJ wrote:

    > I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware info and
    > settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.

    Why not just install W98 and then check?

    --
    Baloo
    email & xmpp: baloo@ursine.ca

  9. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    On 2006-09-26, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

    > 26.09.2006 02:58, Todd H. schrob:
    >
    >> Maybe, maybe not. If he doesn't need to get into the OS at all, why
    >> is he wanting the XP password?

    > To use the already installed XP to get the hardware info (so I reckon).

    Sure, but why bother? Any decent OS will be able to get you that info,
    and without all the tedious registry editing.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  10. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    On 2006-09-25, TomJ wrote:

    > I recently pulled a computer out of garbage and was surprised it
    > booted. Unfortunately, it's password protected and the password has
    > expired. I have no way of obtaining PW, as previous owner has moved.
    >
    > I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware info and
    > settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.
    >
    > Can it be done?????

    I'd use the System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/) to boot and
    probe the hardware.

    But why install Win98? That's a dead-end OS -- why not put something up
    to date on it like linux?

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  11. Re: Bypass XP Pro password?

    >I'd really like it to boot so I can get all the hardware info and
    >settings. Then I can wipe the HD and install W98.
    >
    >Can it be done?????
    >
    >TomJ

    Thanx to all that replied. Sorry it took so long to get back to you,
    but I've had phone line problems the last month. Seems AT&T got it
    fixed.

    Anyway:
    Don't have Linux and I'm too old to figure out another OS.
    Don't have a full install CD for XP.
    I do have the CD for W98 2nd edition.

    As for pulling BIOS, I assume I have to go thru the cmos and copy all
    the settings. I've never used a PW so this all new to me. IF the PW
    is stored in the bios chip that would be the way to go, But XP won't
    boot without it, so I believe the PW is stored somewhere in Windows.
    I think/guess/assume???

    Might be easier to install another drive as C: and install W98. And
    hope the W98 CD has all the drivers needed.

    TomJ

+ Reply to Thread