ehome directory "access denied" - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on ehome directory "access denied" - Microsoft Windows ; So I picked up a nifty little box: Acer Travelmate C100. It's a tablet/laptop with pen input. I did not receive any restore CDs for it. Windows XP Tablet edition was installed (and the license key is still afixed to ...

  1. ehome directory "access denied"

    So I picked up a nifty little box: Acer Travelmate C100.
    It's a tablet/laptop with pen input.

    I did not receive any restore CDs for it.

    Windows XP Tablet edition was installed (and the license key is still
    afixed to the bottom) and some of the original acer stuff was on
    it.... I'm guessing this was the original OS.

    after wrestling with it, battling the miriad of spy/adware, viruses,
    etc I think i've got it to a state that is fairly clean.
    (rootkit revealer shows nothing, and hijack this looks clean. Spybot
    S&D and AVG find nothing as well)

    I figures i'd re-install XPsp2 to make sure nothing had been corrupted
    but it errors out. It seems the ehome directory is not accessable.
    (a google lookup of the file it couldn't write said it was supposed to
    be in ehome, so i checked it and sure enough...)
    When i try to click it, it returns access denied. I've tried this as
    the administrator proper, as well as from other administrator
    accounts. Properties of the folder doesn't show the "take ownership"
    that i'm used to seeing in XP Professional, nor does it show an
    ownership.

    I've tried booting into safemode, but the directory is still
    unaccesable.

    Anyone have a suggestion as to what my next step should be?
    Boot to a live cd and try from there perhaps?

    --
    May no harm befall you,
    flip

  2. Re: ehome directory "access denied"

    Total format fixes everything
    "Philip Lewis" wrote in message
    > So I picked up a nifty little box: Acer Travelmate C100.
    > It's a tablet/laptop with pen input.
    >
    > I did not receive any restore CDs for it.
    >
    > Windows XP Tablet edition was installed (and the license key is still
    > afixed to the bottom) and some of the original acer stuff was on
    > it.... I'm guessing this was the original OS.
    >
    > after wrestling with it, battling the miriad of spy/adware, viruses,
    > etc I think i've got it to a state that is fairly clean.
    > (rootkit revealer shows nothing, and hijack this looks clean. Spybot
    > S&D and AVG find nothing as well)
    >
    > I figures i'd re-install XPsp2 to make sure nothing had been corrupted
    > but it errors out. It seems the ehome directory is not accessable.
    > (a google lookup of the file it couldn't write said it was supposed to
    > be in ehome, so i checked it and sure enough...)
    > When i try to click it, it returns access denied. I've tried this as
    > the administrator proper, as well as from other administrator
    > accounts. Properties of the folder doesn't show the "take ownership"
    > that i'm used to seeing in XP Professional, nor does it show an
    > ownership.
    >
    > I've tried booting into safemode, but the directory is still
    > unaccesable.
    >
    > Anyone have a suggestion as to what my next step should be?
    > Boot to a live cd and try from there perhaps?
    >
    > --
    > May no harm befall you,
    > flip
    > Ich habe keine Ahnung was das bedeutet, oder vielleicht doch?
    > In my email replace SeeEmmYou.EeeDeeYou with CMU.EDU

+ Reply to Thread