automatic restart - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on automatic restart - Microsoft Windows ; Morning, since I installed Norton SystemWorks 2006 I have been having a problem with w2k. First, it kept restarting; the 'last good configuration' helped a bit, but still after turning it on it restarts once before I can work on ...

  1. automatic restart

    Morning,

    since I installed Norton SystemWorks 2006 I have been having a problem with w2k. First, it kept restarting; the 'last good
    configuration' helped a bit, but still after turning it on it restarts once before I can work on it, sometimes returning to the
    infuriating restart -> restart -> restart... vicious cycle. How to get rid of this problem? It must be somewhere (registry?) I'll be
    most grateful for assistance!

    Loads of TIA

    bj

  2. Re: automatic restart

    "bj" wrote:

    >How to get rid of this problem?

    You already gave yourself the answer. "since I installed Norton
    SystemWorks 2006 I have been having a problem with w2k." If you know
    that's the problem's origin, then get rid of it.

    JK'06

  3. Re: automatic restart

    > >How to get rid of this problem?
    >
    > You already gave yourself the answer. "since I installed Norton
    > SystemWorks 2006 I have been having a problem with w2k." If you know
    > that's the problem's origin, then get rid of it.
    >

    > JK'06

    Yeah, but:
    1. I'd still like to use NSW
    2. Even if I uninstall it, there's no guarantee it will restore the system to its previous state. I'd rather get rid of the problem
    only.

    bj

  4. Re: automatic restart

    "bj" wrote:

    >Yeah, but:
    >1. I'd still like to use NSW

    In this case you probably can't be helped.

    >2. Even if I uninstall it, there's no guarantee it will restore the
    >system to its previous state. I'd rather get rid of the problem only.

    The problem quite obviously is Norton software. I've seen tons of
    machines so far which bogged down due to trouble with Norton Internet
    Security, Norton Antivirus and Norton whatnot. If you still want to use
    it, even though you know it's causing your problems, it constitutes a
    bad case of masochism. How can anyone (except those who wrote the stuff)
    possibly know which mistake(s) the coders made?

    JK'06

  5. Re: automatic restart

    bj wrote:
    > Morning,
    >
    > since I installed Norton SystemWorks 2006 I have been having a
    > problem with w2k. First, it kept restarting; the 'last good
    > configuration' helped a bit, but still after turning it on it
    > restarts once before I can work on it, sometimes returning to the
    > infuriating restart -> restart -> restart... vicious cycle. How to
    > get rid of this problem? It must be somewhere (registry?) I'll be
    > most grateful for assistance!

    I agree with the comment about the pile of ****e that is Norton/Symantec
    but if you insist...

    It sounds like either NSW isn't configured properly or your installation
    hasn't worked properly. Try booting in Failsafe mode and changing the
    Norton config (if it is loaded so that you can, though I doubt that it
    will be in fail safe mode) or simply re-install it.

  6. Re: automatic restart

    "John of Aix" wrote:

    >Try booting in Failsafe mode and changing the
    >Norton config (if it is loaded so that you can, though I doubt that it
    >will be in fail safe mode) or simply re-install it.

    Recently I've had some fun with a neighbour's PC, upon bootup it managed
    to load the OS (XP SP2) and then crashed after about 30 to 90 seconds,
    but every time. It turned out that Norton Internet Security was the
    culprit...and it can't be uninstalled in Safe Mode, yet the machine
    didn't run long enough to uninstall it in normal mode. Safe mode,
    deactivating the services, and it was stable again. Stable enough to
    uninstall NIS, at least. Not stable enough to do without a clean
    re-install of Windows and everything else. What a nice piece of
    software. Shoved into the faces of those who don't know much about
    computers, if anything at all, and then leaving them out in the rain.

    JK'06

  7. Re: automatic restart

    Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    > "John of Aix" wrote:
    >
    >> Try booting in Failsafe mode and changing the
    >> Norton config (if it is loaded so that you can, though I doubt that
    >> it will be in fail safe mode) or simply re-install it.

    > Recently I've had some fun with a neighbour's PC, upon bootup it
    > managed to load the OS (XP SP2) and then crashed after about 30 to 90
    > seconds, but every time. It turned out that Norton Internet Security
    > was the culprit...and it can't be uninstalled in Safe Mode, yet the
    > machine didn't run long enough to uninstall it in normal mode. Safe
    > mode, deactivating the services, and it was stable again. Stable
    > enough to uninstall NIS, at least. Not stable enough to do without a
    > clean re-install of Windows and everything else. What a nice piece of
    > software. Shoved into the faces of those who don't know much about
    > computers, if anything at all, and then leaving them out in the rain.

    I like your restraint ;-). I knew Norton when it was battling PC Tools
    for the affections of the PC fiddlers that we are. I preferred the
    former but Norton wasn't bad and it won. Since then it has gone
    completely daft and thinks that by taking over the PC completely people
    will be impressed. Whenever I come across it on a PC I'm sorting out I
    always do my best to convince the owner to let me clean it off and put
    something serious in irs place. Though I know Norton/Symanyec have a
    whole spile ont heir site about the correct way (and order) to unistall,
    I usually go via failsafe, uninstall eveything via the Control Panel and
    then do a few runs of various registry cleaners to get rid of what's
    left, and by god does it leave a lot. Norton should be banned.

    > JK'06

  8. Re: automatic restart

    "John of Aix" wrote in

    > Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    >> "John of Aix" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try booting in Failsafe mode and changing the
    >>> Norton config (if it is loaded so that you can, though I
    >>> doubt that it will be in fail safe mode) or simply
    >>> re-install it.

    >> Recently I've had some fun with a neighbour's PC, upon
    >> bootup it managed to load the OS (XP SP2) and then crashed
    >> after about 30 to 90 seconds, but every time. It turned
    >> out that Norton Internet Security was the culprit...and it
    >> can't be uninstalled in Safe Mode, yet the machine didn't
    >> run long enough to uninstall it in normal mode. Safe mode,
    >> deactivating the services, and it was stable again. Stable
    >> enough to uninstall NIS, at least. Not stable enough to do
    >> without a clean re-install of Windows and everything else.
    >> What a nice piece of software. Shoved into the faces of
    >> those who don't know much about computers, if anything at
    >> all, and then leaving them out in the rain.

    > I like your restraint ;-). I knew Norton when it was
    > battling PC Tools for the affections of the PC fiddlers
    > that we are. I preferred the former but Norton wasn't bad
    > and it won. Since then it has gone completely daft and
    > thinks that by taking over the PC completely people will be
    > impressed. Whenever I come across it on a PC I'm sorting
    > out I always do my best to convince the owner to let me
    > clean it off and put something serious in irs place. Though
    > I know Norton/Symanyec have a whole spile ont heir site
    > about the correct way (and order) to unistall, I usually go
    > via failsafe, uninstall eveything via the Control Panel and
    > then do a few runs of various registry cleaners to get rid
    > of what's left, and by god does it leave a lot. Norton
    > should be banned.
    >>

    >> JK'06

    Most "do-all" tweak/security suites just **** everything real
    good, rendering the machines unusable, so I guess in a way they
    DO accomplish their goal.

    A couple of good registry cleaners (Adv Reg Optimizer, JV Reg
    Cleaner etc.), Spybot S&D, a process viewer-killer and a basic
    firewall and virus scanner is all anyone needs. And if they are
    stupid enough to use IE/OE, "the **** they are cooking they will
    have on their own plate" as an old boss of mine used to say.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #25
    Ten boxes with 20 objects in each one are easier to navigate

  9. Re: automatic restart

    thanatoid wrote:

    >A couple of good registry cleaners (Adv Reg Optimizer, JV Reg
    >Cleaner etc.), Spybot S&D, a process viewer-killer and a basic
    >firewall and virus scanner is all anyone needs.

    Use a router instead of directly connecting a computer to the internet.
    These things are rather cheap and eliminate a lot of problems by NAT
    alone. Anyone hooking up a machine straight to a broadband connections,
    be that DSL or the cable stuff used in the US, should be severely
    punished and then left alone with the trouble.

    >And if they are
    >stupid enough to use IE/OE, "the **** they are cooking they will
    >have on their own plate" as an old boss of mine used to say.

    They can even use that. All it takes are a few thoughts and the actual
    usage of manuals.

    JK'06

+ Reply to Thread