Fixmbr resulted in corrupted partition table - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Fixmbr resulted in corrupted partition table - Microsoft Windows ; I am running a laptop with Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu linux. Yesterday, I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so I removed my Linux-partitions. I had to run fixmbr so I could reboot into Windows. When I ran fixmbr and rebooted ...

  1. Fixmbr resulted in corrupted partition table

    I am running a laptop with Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu linux. Yesterday,
    I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so I removed my Linux-partitions. I had to
    run fixmbr so I could reboot into Windows. When I ran fixmbr and
    rebooted I got a blank screen. When I reboot into the recovery console
    and type 'map', my primary Windows XP NTFS-partition lists as an
    unknown partition. I am now unable to access my files and my Windows. I
    have also tried to run fixboot and bootcfg with no effect.

  2. Re: Fixmbr resulted in corrupted partition table

    marius.se@gmail.com writes:

    > I am running a laptop with Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu linux. Yesterday,
    > I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so I removed my Linux-partitions. I had to
    > run fixmbr so I could reboot into Windows. When I ran fixmbr and
    > rebooted I got a blank screen. When I reboot into the recovery console
    > and type 'map', my primary Windows XP NTFS-partition lists as an
    > unknown partition. I am now unable to access my files and my Windows. I
    > have also tried to run fixboot and bootcfg with no effect.

    Oy.

    When you boot the Ubuntu live cd, is the ntfs partition mountable to
    view? If not, it sounds like you may have corrupted the partition.
    When map can't find a valid ntfs partition, something has gone very
    wrong.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Fixmbr resulted in corrupted partition table

    You probably can recover from this problem by issuing the following
    recovery console commands:

    bootcfg /scan
    (This should show you your Windows XP system. If it doees issue:

    bootcfg /rebuild
    this will display the OS (Windows XP) and ask you to rebuild
    the boot configuration. Reply Yes. Then try rebooting the
    system.

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On 25 May 2006 04:13:37 -0700, marius.se@gmail.com wrote:

    -|I am running a laptop with Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu linux. Yesterday,
    -|I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so I removed my Linux-partitions. I had to
    -|run fixmbr so I could reboot into Windows. When I ran fixmbr and
    -|rebooted I got a blank screen. When I reboot into the recovery console
    -|and type 'map', my primary Windows XP NTFS-partition lists as an
    -|unknown partition. I am now unable to access my files and my Windows. I
    -|have also tried to run fixboot and bootcfg with no effect.

+ Reply to Thread