install winxp into 2nd primary partition and failed - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on install winxp into 2nd primary partition and failed - Microsoft Windows ; HI I have a linux /boot in the 1st partition which I don't wanna touch. I set a 2nd partition (primary) with NTFS for winxp. The installation all went well until the file copying stage( dos-based stage) finished, and the ...

  1. install winxp into 2nd primary partition and failed

    HI
    I have a linux /boot in the 1st partition which I don't wanna touch.
    I set a 2nd partition (primary) with NTFS for winxp.
    The installation all went well until the file copying stage( dos-based
    stage) finished, and the windows installer requires a restart.
    on restart, the computer went into Grub (my bootloader for linux) and
    not continued windows installation.
    Certainly, windows installer did not overwrote MBR therefore Grub came
    up on restart.
    However, I added an item for winxp in grub.conf with chainloader, that
    did not work.
    What can I do to make windows installation continue?
    Is it because windows xp cannot installed into the 2nd primary
    partition?
    I saw some post that this could be done.
    Thanks
    kyle

  2. Re: install winxp into 2nd primary partition and failed

    kylenix@gmail.com writes:

    > HI
    > I have a linux /boot in the 1st partition which I don't wanna touch.
    > I set a 2nd partition (primary) with NTFS for winxp.
    > The installation all went well until the file copying stage( dos-based
    > stage) finished, and the windows installer requires a restart.
    > on restart, the computer went into Grub (my bootloader for linux) and
    > not continued windows installation.
    > Certainly, windows installer did not overwrote MBR therefore Grub came
    > up on restart.
    > However, I added an item for winxp in grub.conf with chainloader, that
    > did not work.
    > What can I do to make windows installation continue?
    > Is it because windows xp cannot installed into the 2nd primary
    > partition?
    > I saw some post that this could be done.

    Luckily there are lurkers in this windows group who know what Linux is
    and about grub.conf.

    Furthermore, I too have linux on my primary master, and win2k on my
    slave drive.

    My example grub.conf might be useful for you. Since you only have one
    drive, I don't think the map statements will apply to you.
    rootnoverify is important though. My best guess of what might work for
    you is:
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    Perhaps some other trickery is needed since windows is not on the
    first primary partition. Google up some examples using the keyword
    "rootnoverify" and "windows" and you might have some luck.

    default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

    title=Linux on my ide master, boot is hda1, swap hda2, root hda3
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-whatever root=/dev/hda3
    hdd=ide-scsi
    hdc=ide-scsi

    title=Windows 2000 Pro on the ide slave, first and only partition
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    makeactive