Desktop Icons Position - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Desktop Icons Position - Microsoft Windows ; Hello and sorry to interrupt the flow... I've asked this before, and never got an answer. Maybe NO ONE knows. All I got was links to WinTidy. I am aware of its existence, was before, and also know of other ...

  1. Desktop Icons Position

    Hello and sorry to interrupt the flow...

    I've asked this before, and never got an answer. Maybe NO ONE
    knows.
    All I got was links to WinTidy. I am aware of its existence, was
    before, and also know of other programs which handle this
    problem.

    The QUESTION I would like answered - NO LINKS TO PROGRAMS WHICH
    TAKE CARE OF IT PLEASE - is WHERE IN THE WORLD does Windows
    store the desktop icon position information???

    I have looked everywhere and I can not find it. It has to be
    SOMEWHERE, right? One would think registry, but I must have
    looked at every damn key and value and I can't find it.

    W H E R E ???!?!
    W H E R E ???!?!

    Someone PLEASE tell me.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #22
    Give yourself until about 30. If things don't get rolling by

  2. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    You are right. The coder responsible for saving/retrieving the icon
    positions left Microsoft and joined Google. He has taken all source
    code and documentation with him. NO ONE KNOWS.

  3. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "thanatoid" wrote in message
    > Hello and sorry to interrupt the flow...
    >
    > I've asked this before, and never got an answer. Maybe NO ONE
    > knows.
    > All I got was links to WinTidy. I am aware of its existence, was
    > before, and also know of other programs which handle this
    > problem.
    >
    > The QUESTION I would like answered - NO LINKS TO PROGRAMS WHICH
    > TAKE CARE OF IT PLEASE - is WHERE IN THE WORLD does Windows
    > store the desktop icon position information???

    This has been asked and answered many times on various newsgroups like
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32, microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui,
    microsoft.public.win32.programmer.shell, ...

  4. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    For the time being try this article:
    http://www.codeguru.com/vb/controls/...cle.php/c3055/
    It is titled: Locating Desktop Icon Positions using Memory Mapped
    Files.
    In the meantime, I will give it a shot.

    [
    Previously I had posted:
    You are right NO ONE KNOWS. The programmer incharge of
    saving/retrieving icon positions left Microsoft and joined Google
    taking all source code and documentation along with him. NO ONE KNOWS.
    /*
    I think someone (MS?) is trying to prevent me from speaking the truth.
    */
    ]

  5. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    One would definitely think Registry.
    Either use Regmon to track it down or export the Registry, make a
    change, export again and compare the two exports.

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On 24 May 2006 03:54:55 GMT, in
    microsoft.public.win98.display.general, thanatoid
    wrote:

    >Hello and sorry to interrupt the flow...
    >
    >I've asked this before, and never got an answer. Maybe NO ONE
    >knows.
    >All I got was links to WinTidy. I am aware of its existence, was
    >before, and also know of other programs which handle this
    >problem.
    >
    >The QUESTION I would like answered - NO LINKS TO PROGRAMS WHICH
    >TAKE CARE OF IT PLEASE - is WHERE IN THE WORLD does Windows
    >store the desktop icon position information???
    >
    >I have looked everywhere and I can not find it. It has to be
    >SOMEWHERE, right? One would think registry, but I must have
    >looked at every damn key and value and I can't find it.
    >
    >W H E R E ???!?!
    >W H E R E ???!?!
    >
    >Someone PLEASE tell me.

  6. Re: Desktop Icons Position

  7. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "thanatoid" wrote in message

    > I've asked this before, and never got an answer. Maybe NO ONE
    > knows.

    I know

    > All I got was links to WinTidy. I am aware of its existence, was
    > before, and also know of other programs which handle this
    > problem.

    There are even sample source code on planet source code that shows this
    acording to google.

    > The QUESTION I would like answered - NO LINKS TO PROGRAMS WHICH
    > TAKE CARE OF IT PLEASE - is WHERE IN THE WORLD does Windows
    > store the desktop icon position information???

    Watch those caps!
    where in the world.. hmm.. i guess that would be where ever your computer is
    located or in some cases where the domain controller is located..

    > I have looked everywhere and I can not find it. It has to be
    > SOMEWHERE, right? One would think registry, but I must have
    > looked at every damn key and value and I can't find it.

    Look again! its there!

    > W H E R E ???!?!
    > W H E R E ???!?!
    >
    > Someone PLEASE tell me.

    Absolutely not, you message is rather annoying.. so findout yourself.. And i
    do belive this link can help you: http://just****inggoogleit.com

    //eric

  8. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "brooder" wrote in
    news:1148470524.727845.301210@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:

    > See this article on Code Guru
    > http://www.codeguru.com/vb/controls/...rticle.php/c30
    > 55

    Thanks. While it did not answer my question (or at least not
    in a way I can understand), at least it was not rude like
    some of the other replies. FWICS, it's a VB6 script for
    arranging icons. Still doesn't tell me where the info is
    stored. But the most programming I ever did was managing to
    draw a circle in DOS on a PC (with 2 x 5.25" disks and no HD)
    in 1987.

    I must comment your second reply was a little strange. But
    I'm very new and very temporarily here - this is just
    something that had been bugging me for about 10 years.

    Anyway, thanks for your help.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #22
    Give yourself until about 30. If things don't get rolling by
    then, consider saving yourself another 40 years of pain and
    misery.

  9. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "Philippe" wrote in

    > "thanatoid" wrote in message
    >> Hello and sorry to interrupt the flow...
    >>
    >> I've asked this before, and never got an answer. Maybe NO
    >> ONE knows.
    >> All I got was links to WinTidy. I am aware of its
    >> existence, was before, and also know of other programs
    >> which handle this problem.
    >>
    >> The QUESTION I would like answered - NO LINKS TO PROGRAMS
    >> WHICH TAKE CARE OF IT PLEASE - is WHERE IN THE WORLD does
    >> Windows store the desktop icon position information???

    > This has been asked and answered many times on various
    > newsgroups like comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,
    > microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui,
    > microsoft.public.win32.programmer.shell, ...

    BION, that >has< occurred to me, after all, I couldn't be the
    only person perplexed by this issue. BION, I have also heard
    of search engines, and have spent SOME time searching for the
    answer in many various places. Over the years. Nothing.

    Perhaps the words I used in my searches (icon, placement,
    desktop, registry) were not the correct ones. But I am,
    regrettably, unaware of special M$ programmer terms (perhaps
    like freldenguk or something) used by the cognoscenti in such
    discussions.

    It may be too much to ask, but it would be rather nice of you
    to provide a link to the answer, if not the answer itself...

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #22
    Give yourself until about 30. If things don't get rolling by
    then, consider saving yourself another 40 years of pain and
    misery.

  10. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    Alan Edwards wrote in

    > One would definitely think Registry.
    > Either use Regmon to track it down or export the Registry,
    > make a change, export again and compare the two exports.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I realize that doing it this way MAY
    provide the answer, but in all honesty, I was hoping for a more
    direct answer [like a reg key name(s)].

    Still, I appreciate the fact that you actually replied with a
    valid suggestion instead of insulting me like some of the
    others...

    Regards,
    t.

  11. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "Eric Jensen" wrote in
    news:44744bbd$0$99992$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.d k:

    > "thanatoid" wrote in message
    >
    >> I've asked this before, and never got an answer. Maybe NO
    >> ONE knows.

    > I know

    But you're not telling, are you? And so DARN proud and happy
    about it, too. Don't you think it's time to move beyond 3rd
    grade level? Or are you just mad today because Mommy didn't make
    you your favorite sandwich?

    >> All I got was links to WinTidy. I am aware of its
    >> existence, was before, and also know of other programs
    >> which handle this problem.

    > There are even sample source code on planet source code
    > that shows this acording to google.
    >
    >> The QUESTION I would like answered - NO LINKS TO PROGRAMS
    >> WHICH TAKE CARE OF IT PLEASE - is WHERE IN THE WORLD does
    >> Windows store the desktop icon position information???

    > Watch those caps!

    I just type them. And if you're referring to the idiotic "all
    caps is yelling" convention from decades ago, I have consciously
    chosen to ignore it ages ago.

    > where in the world.. hmm.. i guess that would be where ever
    > your computer is located or in some cases where the domain
    > controller is located..

    Wow. You REALLY are smart. Not just smart, WITTY and CLEVER,
    too!

    >> Someone PLEASE tell me.

    > Absolutely not, you message is rather annoying..

    I dare say not nearly as annoying as you are.

    > so findout
    > yourself.. And i do belive this link can help you:
    > http://just****inggoogleit.com
    >
    > //eric

    Thank you for your friendly and polite help.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #21 (a quote this time)
    "Hell is other people."

  12. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    Im not gonna reply to all that, cause it will not be nice

    Anyways, this is important to you - So here it is:

    Open regedit.exe and "surtf" to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags\1\Desktop

    There will all the registry keys used for icon positions be.

  13. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    Eric Jensen wrote:
    > Im not gonna reply to all that, cause it will not be nice
    >
    > Anyways, this is important to you - So here it is:
    >
    > Open regedit.exe and "surtf" to
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags\1\Desktop
    >
    > There will all the registry keys used for icon positions be.

    Zut alors. This question intrigues me too so as I thought you had found
    the answer I joyfully went to look. Close but no banana on my machine,
    no icon positions there. However SheelNotRoam/Bags just down a bit looks
    pretty interesting.

  14. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "John of Aix" skrev i en meddelelse
    > Eric Jensen wrote:
    >> Im not gonna reply to all that, cause it will not be nice
    >>
    >> Anyways, this is important to you - So here it is:
    >>
    >> Open regedit.exe and "surtf" to
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags\1\Desktop
    >>
    >> There will all the registry keys used for icon positions be.

    > Zut alors. This question intrigues me too so as I thought you had found
    > the answer I joyfully went to look. Close but no banana on my machine, no
    > icon positions there. However SheelNotRoam/Bags just down a bit looks
    > pretty interesting.

    At that key
    (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shel l\Bags\1\Desktop) i have
    desktop icon positions - I checked and there are posistions for multiply
    resolutions. e.g. value name is ItemPos1280x800(1).
    btw. this is on win xp pro sp2. I guess the location in registry could
    variate depending on network configuration and such.

    //eric

  15. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "Eric Jensen" wrote in

    > Im not gonna reply to all that, cause it will not be nice
    >

    > Anyways, this is important to you - So here it is:
    >
    > Open regedit.exe and "surtf" to
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags\1\De
    > sktop
    >
    > There will all the registry keys used for icon positions
    > be.

    What a pleasant about-face. Thank you. While IMO nothing is
    >really< important, this minor mystery HAS been bugging me

    for years.

    AFA my original post being annoying, I actually kind of
    agree, but I had to "reply" to you first.

    I started realizing a long time that the thing I was best at
    was being annoying, so I have been working on perfecting it.
    I am exactly the same in person, except I *DO* yell. And
    swear a lot, etc.

    Anyway, as far as your kind information, it is inapplicable
    to the OS's I use, 95B and 98SE Lite.

    I didn't mention this originally because for some reason the
    fact that there are some DOS programs I still use almost
    daily, and that I do not enjoy spending several hours every
    week installing security patches etc. on the XtraProblem,
    seems to REALLY upset a lot of people, and as you can
    imagine, I have heard/read enough insults in my life already.

    If you by any chance know where this info is stored in the 95
    and 98 registries, I would love to know. Someone suggested I
    get regview and play around with it and find out that way. I
    will probably do that, but of course, just someone telling me
    would be a lot easier. I am getting old and peeking into the
    foul-smelling guts of an OS is not as much fun as it used to
    be.

    Anyway, thanks again.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #22
    Give yourself until about 30. If things don't get rolling by
    then, consider saving yourself another 40 years of pain and
    misery.

  16. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "thanatoid" wrote in message

    > Anyway, as far as your kind information, it is inapplicable
    > to the OS's I use, 95B and 98SE Lite.

    Actually i found this info at work we have this database
    with all sorts of microsoft information released.
    When i think about it i might have the "XP" filter enabled
    (it is by default)

    > If you by any chance know where this info is stored in the 95
    > and 98 registries, I would love to know. Someone suggested I
    > get regview and play around with it and find out that way. I
    > will probably do that, but of course, just someone telling me
    > would be a lot easier. I am getting old and peeking into the
    > foul-smelling guts of an OS is not as much fun as it used to
    > be.

    Its friday now and im off from work, but i'd be happy to search
    the database (without filters) monday when im back at work

    Comparing registry would probably be fastest way to find out,
    but this info is stored when system shuts down. So the software
    would need to make a snapshot, and compare it once the machine
    is restarted. However, comparing registry will probably also
    return inapplicable information, due to it might be different location
    on other systems and configurations. And im almost sure we have
    a more general info sheet about these locations at work.

    //eric

  17. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    Eric Jensen wrote:
    > "John of Aix" skrev i en meddelelse
    >> Eric Jensen wrote:
    >>> Im not gonna reply to all that, cause it will not be nice
    >>>
    >>> Anyways, this is important to you - So here it is:
    >>>
    >>> Open regedit.exe and "surtf" to
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags\1\Desktop
    >>>
    >>> There will all the registry keys used for icon positions be.

    >> Zut alors. This question intrigues me too so as I thought you had
    >> found the answer I joyfully went to look. Close but no banana on my
    >> machine, no icon positions there. However SheelNotRoam/Bags just
    >> down a bit looks pretty interesting.

    > At that key
    > (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shel l\Bags\1\Desktop) i
    > have desktop icon positions - I checked and there are posistions for
    > multiply resolutions. e.g. value name is ItemPos1280x800(1).
    > btw. this is on win xp pro sp2. I guess the location in registry could
    > variate depending on network configuration and such.

    You may be right, I assumed that it wasn't there because though I have
    four ItemPos entries (one for each resolution) and 8 ScrollPos (two for
    each resolution) that is not enough entries to covers my twenty or so
    icons on the desktop.

  18. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    > You may be right, I assumed that it wasn't there because though I have
    > four ItemPos entries (one for each resolution) and 8 ScrollPos (two for
    > each resolution) that is not enough entries to covers my twenty or so
    > icons on the desktop.

    If you look at the binary data stored in the REG_BINARY value, you will find
    all your icons there.

    //eric

  19. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    "Eric Jensen" wrote in

    > "thanatoid" wrote in message
    >
    >> Anyway, as far as your kind information, it is
    >> inapplicable to the OS's I use, 95B and 98SE Lite.

    > Actually i found this info at work we have this database
    > with all sorts of microsoft information released.
    > When i think about it i might have the "XP" filter enabled
    > (it is by default)

    Understandable. I have been told by many Usenet "regulars" than
    NO ONE except ME in the entire world still uses 95B.

    >> If you by any chance know where this info is stored in the
    >> 95 and 98 registries, I would love to know. Someone
    >> suggested I get regview and play around with it and find
    >> out that way. I will probably do that, but of course, just
    >> someone telling me would be a lot easier. I am getting old
    >> and peeking into the foul-smelling guts of an OS is not as
    >> much fun as it used to be.

    > Its friday now and im off from work, but i'd be happy to
    > search the database (without filters) monday when im back
    > at work

    That would be EXTREMELY nice of you.

    > Comparing registry would probably be fastest way to find
    > out, but this info is stored when system shuts down. So the
    > software would need to make a snapshot, and compare it once
    > the machine is restarted. However, comparing registry will
    > probably also return inapplicable information, due to it
    > might be different location on other systems and
    > configurations. And im almost sure we have a more general
    > info sheet about these locations at work.

    Well, after having installed and played around with probably
    about a thousand or more programs only to delete 90% from
    boredom or disgust, while I believe RegView works, I am not that
    thrilled about messing with it. But it apparently takes
    snapshots of the registry which are later fully accessible and
    can be compared to others WITHIN windows.

    WTF was wrong with ini files?????

    Oh yes, they were too easy to work with for the users.

    SIGH.

    Thanks again for your help.

    t.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #22
    Give yourself until about 30. If things don't get rolling by
    then,
    consider saving yourself another 40 years of pain and misery.

  20. Re: Desktop Icons Position

    Eric Jensen wrote:
    > "John of Aix" skrev i en meddelelse
    >
    >> You may be right, I assumed that it wasn't there because though I
    >> have four ItemPos entries (one for each resolution) and 8 ScrollPos
    >> (two for each resolution) that is not enough entries to covers my
    >> twenty or so icons on the desktop.

    > If you look at the binary data stored in the REG_BINARY value, you
    > will find all your icons there.

    OK, thanks

+ Reply to Thread