Nothing will show under My Network Places - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Nothing will show under My Network Places - Microsoft Windows ; I just bought a new Windows XP Tablet Edition PC (Toshiba Protege M400) and the problem I'm having is with the networking. I have a local network of 3 desktops which are wired and as well a laptop that is ...

  1. Nothing will show under My Network Places

    I just bought a new Windows XP Tablet Edition PC (Toshiba Protege
    M400) and the problem I'm having is with the networking. I have a
    local network of 3 desktops which are wired and as well a laptop that
    is wireless. Both of these work fine. I can map to network drives,
    go to my network places to browse the network, etc. on all of these
    without any problems.
    The problem I'm having with my new computer is I can go under search
    computer to find another computer on the network and map to those
    drives. The problem is if I go to my network places it wont' find
    anything else on the network and when I try to add printers of course
    it won't find them since they are on the network. Any idea what is
    causing this problem? Everything on my network is using Windows XP.

  2. Re: Nothing will show under My Network Places

    MarkW wrote in

    > I just bought a new Windows XP Tablet Edition PC (Toshiba Protege
    > M400) and the problem I'm having is with the networking. I have a
    > local network of 3 desktops which are wired and as well a laptop that
    > is wireless. Both of these work fine. I can map to network drives,
    > go to my network places to browse the network, etc. on all of these
    > without any problems.
    > The problem I'm having with my new computer is I can go under search
    > computer to find another computer on the network and map to those
    > drives. The problem is if I go to my network places it wont' find
    > anything else on the network and when I try to add printers of course
    > it won't find them since they are on the network. Any idea what is
    > causing this problem? Everything on my network is using Windows XP.

    Check the properties of your network adapter (network connection) to see
    which protocols are installed, and compare the tablet to one of the
    desktops. If there isn't a protocol missing I have no idea. Try asking
    in

  3. Re: Nothing will show under My Network Places

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 21:32:38 GMT, Mark Blain
    wrote:

    >MarkW wrote in
    >
    >> I just bought a new Windows XP Tablet Edition PC (Toshiba Protege
    >> M400) and the problem I'm having is with the networking. I have a
    >> local network of 3 desktops which are wired and as well a laptop that
    >> is wireless. Both of these work fine. I can map to network drives,
    >> go to my network places to browse the network, etc. on all of these
    >> without any problems.
    >> The problem I'm having with my new computer is I can go under search
    >> computer to find another computer on the network and map to those
    >> drives. The problem is if I go to my network places it wont' find
    >> anything else on the network and when I try to add printers of course
    >> it won't find them since they are on the network. Any idea what is
    >> causing this problem? Everything on my network is using Windows XP.

    >Check the properties of your network adapter (network connection) to see
    >which protocols are installed, and compare the tablet to one of the
    >desktops. If there isn't a protocol missing I have no idea. Try asking
    >in

    I battled a similar issue recently when I bought a new PC. It turned
    out that the new PC was configured as a "Master Browser" and it wasn't
    playing happily with the other "master browser" on the network.

    In simplest terms, the "browser" is the computer that populates the
    "My Network Places" with information about what resources are
    available. Although you should be able to -and sometimes can- have
    more than one Master Browser, Windows can be mighty picky about this
    sometimes.

    It is supposed to work out that if there is a conflict, the faster
    computer amicably wins the contest, but sometimes it doesn't happen
    that way. In my case, my new (faster) PC set itself as master browser
    and only could see its own resources, while the older, slower "master
    browser" was used by the rest of the LAN. The solution was for me to
    configure the PCs manually.

    Generally speaking, for home networks, you should make sure there's
    only one "Master Browser" enabled. If you have one PC that is always
    on, make that your master browser; otherwise, use your fastest PC.

    To configure a single computer to be the master browser is simple:
    enable the service on one computer and disable it on all the others.

    To enable it on the computer you chose as your master browser, perform
    the following steps:

    1) click START to open the Start menu
    2) click RUN on the Start menu
    3) In the new box, type SERVICES.MSC and press ,
    4) The Services window opens. Scroll down the list to find the item
    labeled "Computer Browser" . Double-click it to open it
    5) A new window opens. In the "startup type" drop-down box in the
    middle, select "automatic". Click the START button, then click OK to
    close the window.
    6) Close the Services list window.

    Next, disable the browser service on all the other computers. Repeat
    this process for all the PCs on your LAN
    1) click START to open the Start menu
    2) click RUN on the Start menu
    3) In the new box, type SERVICES.MSC and press ,
    4) The Services window opens. Scroll down the list to find the item
    labeled "Computer Browser" . Double-click it to open it
    5) A new window opens. Click the STOP button to kill the service (if
    it is running). In the "startup type" drop-down box in the middle,
    select "disabled", then click OK to close the window.
    6) Close the Services list window.

    Reboot all the computers on the LAN. Sometimes it takes a few minutes
    after restart for the master browser to gather all the info about the
    network before "My Network Places" is fully responsive..

    (see BROWSTAT.EXE from Microsoft's Windows Support Tools package
    for more troubleshooting help with the browser. Specifically, running
    BROWSTAT.EXE status will let you know which computer is serving as
    that PCs master browser )

+ Reply to Thread