Two mice, different settings - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Two mice, different settings - Microsoft Windows ; I have two mice connected two the computer (WinXP sp2). I want to set them up differently, especially different pointer speeds (now one is moving too slowly if the other is "just right"). Also, I want one of those to ...

  1. Two mice, different settings

    I have two mice connected two the computer (WinXP sp2).

    I want to set them up differently, especially different pointer speeds
    (now one is moving too slowly if the other is "just right"). Also, I
    want one of those to be "left-handed" (right/left buttons swapped) while
    the other should not be.

    However, it seems these settings (Control Panel > Mouse) apply to both
    input devices at the same time, which is not satisfying.

    Any ideas how to solve this simple demand?

    --
    -+-Ben-+-

  2. Re: Two mice, different settings

    >I want to set them up differently, especially different pointer speeds
    >(now one is moving too slowly if the other is "just right"). Also, I
    >want one of those to be "left-handed" (right/left buttons swapped) while
    >the other should not be.

    >However, it seems these settings (Control Panel > Mouse) apply to both
    >input devices at the same time, which is not satisfying.

    >Any ideas how to solve this simple demand?

    As far as In kow there is no way to have two mice on the system
    configured differently. Having two mice on the system is an issue by
    itself, as, if they are both moving, which one does the system listen
    to? As long as only one is moving though, it is not a problem.

    You could set up different preference for different user, so if one
    person logs in it is a left handed mouse, and if another person logs in
    it is a right handed mouse.
    You can also setup different hardware profiles on the PC to accompish
    this, but that is even less convenient.

    Maybe someone else will have a better answer.

  3. Re: Two mice, different settings

    Tonagon wrote:
    > As far as In kow there is no way to have two mice on the system
    > configured differently.

    It seems... :-( I was hoping maybe someone knew a way to do it more or
    less "manually" by tweaking in the Registry or something. But it seems not.

    > Having two mice on the system is an issue by
    > itself, as, if they are both moving, which one does the system listen
    > to? As long as only one is moving though, it is not a problem.

    Yes, it's an issue, but it works quite well nevertheless. If I move both
    simultaneously it's like I'm pulling the tracker (pointer arrow) with
    two different rubber bands attached to it.

    Another way to solve that potential conflict in a more generalized way,
    could be to have a separate tracker for each pointing device attached.

    And in fact, having multiple pointing devices is not so uncommon as one
    might think! Many people having laptops do this on a regular basis as
    they attach an external mouse even though they often have a touchpad or
    something. And those having a pen ("tablet") or digitizer attached also
    usually have a mouse as well. And don't forget that it /is/ possible to
    use the keyboard to move the pointer too, so in theory there's mostly at
    least two such inputs to any computer... :-)

    > You could set up different preference for different user, so if one
    > person logs in it is a left handed mouse, and if another person logs in
    > it is a right handed mouse.

    Yes, I know, and that's the acceptable part of it. But it's even worse,
    because if you get remote assistance with your computer, and the other
    person opens a window reflecting your desktop (Remote Desktop, for
    instance), then the /local/ mouse configuration is reflected on the
    assistant's mouse as well, just that it's only while (s)he is clicking
    _inside_ that windows on his/her desktop. Makes it very amusing to swap
    your buttons right-left, then call the IT department for help :-)

    However, this time I want to use both mice myself... :-)
    I'm right-handed, but I found it very convenient to have a mouse
    directly to the left of my keyboard. In combination with the editing and
    navigation keys (Insert, PgUp, Left, ...) or the numeric keypad, it's
    just great as I don't have to move my right hand between the mouse and
    keyboard. Depending on the task at hand (literally!) of course.

    This also makes it very easy to alternate between using left and right
    arm, without having to reconfigure every time I swap, which means I can
    do it frequently. And that's good for reducing the "mouse disease".

    --
    -+-Ben-+-

  4. Re: Two mice, different settings

    Ben Hetland wrote in

    > I have two mice connected two the computer (WinXP sp2).
    >
    > I want to set them up differently, especially different
    > pointer speeds (now one is moving too slowly if the other
    > is "just right"). Also, I want one of those to be
    > "left-handed" (right/left buttons swapped) while the other
    > should not be.
    >
    > However, it seems these settings (Control Panel > Mouse)
    > apply to both input devices at the same time, which is not
    > satisfying.
    >
    > Any ideas how to solve this simple demand?

    Not exactly an idea, but I'll tell you of my experiences.

    I have a Summasketch tablet with a 4-button puck (which is a
    better mouse than any I've ever tried) and a stylus. This is
    connected to a serial port (it's very old). There is a normal
    mouse connected to the PS2 port. They both work fine together
    or separately. I have also tried using a Logitech wireless
    trackball with the USB port and it worked fine.
    Unfortunately, I can't remember whether I was actually crazy
    enough to leave the other two devices plugged in at the same
    time, but I believe I might have been. It worked, anyway.

    While the general mouse settings are universal, I believe,
    the Summa (now CalComp) control panel offers additional
    flexibility, such as "application override" for some graphics
    apps, button assignments, etc).

    I have never used one but I imagine Wacom tablets which come
    with a pen and mouse have their own control panels which
    probably offer a wealth of options.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #22
    Give yourself until about 30. If things don't get rolling by

+ Reply to Thread