hostname - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on hostname - Microsoft Windows ; I have installed Windows 2003 and it is running. I can navigate through internet. I use static IP address. When I do "ping hostname" it does not work, I need to type in "ping hostname.domain.name" instead. Would anyone please shed ...

  1. hostname

    I have installed Windows 2003 and it is running. I can navigate through
    internet.
    I use static IP address.
    When I do "ping hostname" it does not work, I need to type in "ping
    hostname.domain.name" instead.

    Would anyone please shed a light.

    tks

  2. Re: hostname

    "blackdog" writes:

    > I have installed Windows 2003 and it is running. I can navigate through
    > internet.
    > I use static IP address.
    > When I do "ping hostname" it does not work, I need to type in "ping
    > hostname.domain.name" instead.
    >
    > Would anyone please shed a light.

    Sounds like you need to set some DNS suffix settings.

    It's in networking, TCP/IP in the advanced section under win2k.
    YMMV in 2003.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: hostname

    That is normal. If it is a frequently used name you can place an entry in your hosts file for name resolution. See the sample file (hosts.sam) for examples.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Re: hostname

    Thanks all of you.
    I finally make it works.

    tks again.

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "blackdog" writes:
    >
    > > I have installed Windows 2003 and it is running. I can navigate through
    > > internet.
    > > I use static IP address.
    > > When I do "ping hostname" it does not work, I need to type in "ping
    > > hostname.domain.name" instead.
    > >
    > > Would anyone please shed a light.

    > Sounds like you need to set some DNS suffix settings.
    >
    > It's in networking, TCP/IP in the advanced section under win2k.
    > YMMV in 2003.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/