Greatings -

After installing latest hotfix from Microsoft (the new authenticicity
validation tool), I can no longer get sfc to run on my machine (XP Pro
- SP2). I've tried every trick I know, without success.

Bascially, if I run sfc /scannow from a cmd window, the little popup
window springs up, but there is no movement of the progress bar. After
about 30 seconds, the popup disappears altogether. And, no sfc has
taken place.

This happpens in safe mode, normal mode, running only windows
services, running all services normally....basically, every trick I
tried. I even talked to MS tech support, and after 1.5 hours, they
were stumped (meaning, they couldn't find it in their knowledge base).

So, thought I'd take a stab here. Any suggestions welcomed.