Computer name or IP address stored in file ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Computer name or IP address stored in file ? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi! I am sure there is a file with computer name info and/or IP address of certain computer on Windows XP but i cannot find it! Can somebody help me? Brgds, Sergej...

  1. Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    Hi!
    I am sure there is a file with computer name info and/or IP address of
    certain computer on Windows XP but i cannot find it!

    Can somebody help me?

    Brgds,
    Sergej

  2. Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    Look for a file named hosts or lmhosts.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    sergejk@gmail.com writes:

    > Hi!
    > I am sure there is a file with computer name info and/or IP address of
    > certain computer on Windows XP but i cannot find it!
    > Can somebody help me?

    I'm not aware of any text files that reliably inclue this info
    anywhere, but these shell commands get you where you want to go:

    c:\> ipconfig
    c:\> echo %computername%

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    Here is where the host file will be found:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

    Hope this helps.

  5. Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    "sha" writes:

    > Here is where the host file will be found:
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Note that by default this file does not answer the OP's questions
    about IP address and computer name.

    It simply lists
    127.0.0.1 localhost

    At least that's the case on my win2k machines. I haven't checked my XP
    box.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    Since the hosts files are plain text you can easily add IP addresses and computer names, e.g. all the PCs on your local network. The sample files (hosts.sam) clearly explains this. The files that TCP/IP uses for address resolution are the hosts files with no extension.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  7. Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    Mike Walsh writes:

    > Since the hosts files are plain text you can easily add IP addresses
    > and computer names, e.g. all the PCs on your local network. The
    > sample files (hosts.sam) clearly explains this. The files that
    > TCP/IP uses for address resolution are the hosts files with no
    > extension.

    This is true, but not pertinent.

    Unless the original poster (a user who doesn't know where this file
    is) somehow knew its location before and populated it with his own
    computer's IP address and computername, the
    %systemdir%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts ain't gonna answer his
    question. :-) These shell commands will, however:

    ipconfig
    echo %computername%

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  8. Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    On 7/02/2006 12:49, sergejk@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I am sure there is a file with computer name info and/or IP address of
    > certain computer on Windows XP but i cannot find it!
    >
    > Can somebody help me?
    >
    > Brgds,
    > Sergej

    start-->run-->cmd-->"ipconfig /all" (without the quotes and
    with the space)

    enjoy
    stx

  9. Exclamation Re: Computer name or IP address stored in file ?

    my lord, all of your responses are horrible...

    He asked if there was the name of the computer stored on a file on the XP machine. Not how to get it if you have real-time access to the computer.(ie have a ghost image that you can access via Ghost Explorer.)

    The file that will most likely have the computer name:

    C:\Windows\Debug\NetSetup.log

    It should be all over this document, something like "checking to see if 'computerName' is valid as type 5 name"

    As for the IP address, you are S.O.L.

+ Reply to Thread