Remove shell extension "Play with Windows Media Player" - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Remove shell extension "Play with Windows Media Player" - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, when i right-click on a folder with audio or video files, i get an entry in the menue for "Play with Windows Media Player" an some others that have to do with Windows Media Player. I want to remove ...

  1. Remove shell extension "Play with Windows Media Player"

    Hello,
    when i right-click on a folder with audio or video files, i get an entry
    in the menue for "Play with Windows Media Player" an some others that
    have to do with Windows Media Player.
    I want to remove these entries. I think it can be done with Sysinternals
    Autoruns, but i don't see the entry for it. Which entries should i
    deactivate to remove the entries from the explorer menue?

    Thanks,
    Martin

  2. Re: Remove shell extension "Play with Windows Media Player"

    Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:07:12 +0100, Martin Schall schrob:

    > Hello,
    > when i right-click on a folder with audio or video files, i get an entry
    > in the menue for "Play with Windows Media Player" an some others that
    > have to do with Windows Media Player.
    > I want to remove these entries. I think it can be done with Sysinternals
    > Autoruns, but i don't see the entry for it. Which entries should i
    > deactivate to remove the entries from the explorer menue?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Martin

    The easy way: Explorer menu->Tools->File Types
    In the list find the "directory" (or folder or however it is called in
    English Windows) and then click on advanced (the button bottom right).
    There you see all associated actions.

    The more complicated way:
    open regedit.exe and go to \HKCR\directory\shell and remove the respective
    key there.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla' - http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

    Erst lesen, dann schreiben: http://www.seidseit.de/
    Gegen die OjE-Plage: http://piology.org/news/oe-erste-schritte.html

  3. Re: Remove shell extension "Play with Windows Media Player"

    I had the same problem, but unfortunately, I didn't find the keys I was
    looking for in the registry and it's too boring going through Folder
    Options. After a quick Google search, I dug this up:

    1. Go to Start > Run
    2. Type in "regsvr32 /u wmpshell.dll" (without the quotes)
    3. Hit OK
    4. Voila! No more WMP shell extensions

    -Justin

+ Reply to Thread