help - software or virus problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on help - software or virus problem - Microsoft Windows ; Today when I started up, for some reason my Mozilla mail program wouldn't open. Then i got 'You have a virus!" window. I pressed the button that said "heal" and since then, my computer doesn't start. I have AVG scanner ...

  1. help - software or virus problem

    Today when I started up, for some reason my Mozilla mail program
    wouldn't open. Then i got 'You have a virus!" window. I pressed the
    button that said "heal" and since then, my computer doesn't start. I
    have AVG scanner and have so far had no viruses... i thought this virus
    window was from AVG. Duh,.... i really should hvae known better. Does
    this sound familiar? Now my computer starts up, then immediately shuts
    down at the startup window. It was perfectly fine yesterday then ZAP! I
    have zero idea where this came from. I use NT 2000 professional and
    mozilla for mail, and have had no real problems.

    Right now it's in SAFE mode which is better than nothing. However, this
    means it is a software problem. ANyone who knows what this is about and
    how i can possibly fix it, post here or email me at
    blanshay@videotron.ca. And save my christmas!

  2. Re: help - software or virus problem

    Marlene Blanshay writes:
    > Today when I started up, for some reason my Mozilla mail program
    > wouldn't open. Then i got 'You have a virus!" window. I pressed the
    > button that said "heal" and since then, my computer doesn't start. I
    > have AVG scanner and have so far had no viruses... i thought this
    > virus window was from AVG. Duh,.... i really should hvae known
    > better. Does this sound familiar? Now my computer starts up, then
    > immediately shuts down at the startup window. It was perfectly fine
    > yesterday then ZAP! I have zero idea where this came from. I use NT
    > 2000 professional and mozilla for mail, and have had no real problems.
    >
    > Right now it's in SAFE mode which is better than nothing. However,
    > this means it is a software problem. ANyone who knows what this is
    > about and how i can possibly fix it, post here or email me at
    > blanshay@videotron.ca. And save my christmas!

    You have some sort of malware.

    First, run a full scan with AVG from safe mode. Then install AdAware
    SE and have it run a full scan while in safe mode.

    Then, get your data off the machine to a CD, or to a backup drive, and
    reinstall the operating system from original media, connect it to the
    internet behind a hardware firewall, and retrieve all operating system
    updates from Windows Update. This is the only way to be completely
    sure you've eradicated the threat.

    But, you can make a calculated risk decision to try clean up with
    AdAware SE, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Microsoft's beat malware
    remover. That might get you back into a usable state, but accept the
    possibility that unless you reinstall from original media, there might
    be a keylogging program installed that nothing detected and all your
    financial passwords could be sent to someone in China or the Soviet
    Union for use as they please.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: help - software or virus problem

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Marlene Blanshay writes:
    >
    >>Today when I started up, for some reason my Mozilla mail program
    >>wouldn't open. Then i got 'You have a virus!" window. I pressed the
    >>button that said "heal" and since then, my computer doesn't start. I
    >>have AVG scanner and have so far had no viruses... i thought this
    >>virus window was from AVG. Duh,.... i really should hvae known
    >>better. Does this sound familiar? Now my computer starts up, then
    >>immediately shuts down at the startup window. It was perfectly fine
    >>yesterday then ZAP! I have zero idea where this came from. I use NT
    >>2000 professional and mozilla for mail, and have had no real problems.
    >>
    >>Right now it's in SAFE mode which is better than nothing. However,
    >>this means it is a software problem. ANyone who knows what this is
    >>about and how i can possibly fix it, post here or email me at
    >>blanshay@videotron.ca. And save my christmas!

    > You have some sort of malware.
    >
    > First, run a full scan with AVG from safe mode. Then install AdAware
    > SE and have it run a full scan while in safe mode.
    >
    > Then, get your data off the machine to a CD, or to a backup drive, and
    > reinstall the operating system from original media, connect it to the
    > internet behind a hardware firewall, and retrieve all operating system
    > updates from Windows Update. This is the only way to be completely
    > sure you've eradicated the threat.
    >
    > But, you can make a calculated risk decision to try clean up with
    > AdAware SE, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Microsoft's beat malware
    > remover. That might get you back into a usable state, but accept the
    > possibility that unless you reinstall from original media, there might
    > be a keylogging program installed that nothing detected and all your
    > financial passwords could be sent to someone in China or the Soviet
    > Union for use as they please.
    >

    > Best Regards,

    Thanks... i figured it was somthing like that. I have those programs and
    will get on it.

    Merry Xmas!

  4. Re: help - software or virus problem

    15 Dec 2005 14:39:38 -0600, Todd H. schrob:

    > [...] a keylogging program installed that nothing detected and all your
    > financial passwords could be sent to someone in China or

    > the Soviet Union

    o.O
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

  5. Re: help - software or virus problem

    Actually,it seems it is a trojan horse that was circulating on the 15. I
    did a scan but have to update AVG virus- however,although i downloaded
    it, i can't totally install it while in safe mode. I just want to get
    rid of this &^%( virus.

    How do i do this?

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Marlene Blanshay writes:
    >
    >>Today when I started up, for some reason my Mozilla mail program
    >>wouldn't open. Then i got 'You have a virus!" window. I pressed the
    >>button that said "heal" and since then, my computer doesn't start. I
    >>have AVG scanner and have so far had no viruses... i thought this
    >>virus window was from AVG. Duh,.... i really should hvae known
    >>better. Does this sound familiar? Now my computer starts up, then
    >>immediately shuts down at the startup window. It was perfectly fine
    >>yesterday then ZAP! I have zero idea where this came from. I use NT
    >>2000 professional and mozilla for mail, and have had no real problems.
    >>
    >>Right now it's in SAFE mode which is better than nothing. However,
    >>this means it is a software problem. ANyone who knows what this is
    >>about and how i can possibly fix it, post here or email me at
    >>blanshay@videotron.ca. And save my christmas!

    > You have some sort of malware.
    >
    > First, run a full scan with AVG from safe mode. Then install AdAware
    > SE and have it run a full scan while in safe mode.
    >
    > Then, get your data off the machine to a CD, or to a backup drive, and
    > reinstall the operating system from original media, connect it to the
    > internet behind a hardware firewall, and retrieve all operating system
    > updates from Windows Update. This is the only way to be completely
    > sure you've eradicated the threat.
    >
    > But, you can make a calculated risk decision to try clean up with
    > AdAware SE, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Microsoft's beat malware
    > remover. That might get you back into a usable state, but accept the
    > possibility that unless you reinstall from original media, there might
    > be a keylogging program installed that nothing detected and all your
    > financial passwords could be sent to someone in China or the Soviet
    > Union for use as they please.
    >

    > Best Regards,

  6. Re: help - software or virus problem

    Marlene Blanshay writes:
    > Actually,it seems it is a trojan horse that was circulating on the
    > 15. I did a scan but have to update AVG virus- however,although i
    > downloaded it, i can't totally install it while in safe mode. I just
    > want to get rid of this &^%( virus.

    I sense you're gonna reist this kicking and screaming, like most
    folks, but I'm tellin ya:
    The quickest, safest, and most reliable way is a data backup
    followed by reinstalling windows from original media.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: help - software or virus problem

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Marlene Blanshay writes:
    >
    >>Actually,it seems it is a trojan horse that was circulating on the
    >>15. I did a scan but have to update AVG virus- however,although i
    >>downloaded it, i can't totally install it while in safe mode. I just
    >>want to get rid of this &^%( virus.

    > I sense you're gonna reist this kicking and screaming, like most
    > folks, but I'm tellin ya:
    > The quickest, safest, and most reliable way is a data backup
    > followed by reinstalling windows from original media.

    well, i managed to banish the virus... now that things are working, i'm
    going to do just that, backup and reinstall.

    PHEW.What an annoyance.

+ Reply to Thread