Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ? - Microsoft Windows ; Just spend the past three hours trying to recover the USB2 functionality that the XP install removed. The MS references to downloads for NEC PCI To USB Open Host Controller and NEC PCI To USB Enhanced Host Controller all seem ...

  1. Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ?

    Just spend the past three hours trying to recover the USB2 functionality that
    the XP install removed.

    The MS references to downloads for NEC PCI To USB Open Host Controller and NEC
    PCI To USB Enhanced Host Controller all seem circular. They go on about USB2,
    but you never get do download a driver. Mainly they dump you at the Windows
    Update screen.

    I've run Windows Update at least four times now. Installed a lotta stuff, but
    it never says anything about USB2.

    XP, however, seems to know the drivers are out of date bc it prompts me with a
    "This device can perform faster...>" dialog when I attach a USB2 drive.

    Extremely frustrating - especially the part about trying to find a download
    source.

    Anybody been here? Have I gone off on some wrong tangent somewhere?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  2. Re: Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ?

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Just spend the past three hours trying to recover the USB2
    > functionality that the XP install removed.
    >
    > The MS references to downloads for NEC PCI To USB Open Host
    > Controller and NEC PCI To USB Enhanced Host Controller all seem
    > circular. They go on about USB2, but you never get do download a
    > driver. Mainly they dump you at the Windows Update screen.
    >
    > I've run Windows Update at least four times now. Installed a lotta
    > stuff, but it never says anything about USB2.
    >
    > XP, however, seems to know the drivers are out of date bc it prompts
    > me with a "This device can perform faster...>" dialog when I attach a
    > USB2 drive.
    >
    > Extremely frustrating - especially the part about trying to find a
    > download source.
    >
    > Anybody been here? Have I gone off on some wrong tangent somewhere?

    Not particularly. Go to the NEC site (or elsewhere) and download the
    drivers from there for this particularly or the motherboard generally.
    Use Belarc Advisor (free) to tell you what equipment you have exactly if
    you dopn't know.

  3. Re: Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ?

    Per John of Aix:
    >Not particularly. Go to the NEC site (or elsewhere) and download the
    >drivers from there for this particularly or the motherboard generally.
    >Use Belarc Advisor (free) to tell you what equipment you have exactly if
    >you dopn't know.

    Belarc Advisor is pretty neat. Thanks.

    But the search of a downloadable driver is still no-go.

    Even the NEC site, when you finally drill down to something relevant aims you at
    the Microsoft update:
    viz
    Windows® XP
    USB2.0 driver is supported in Service Pack 1(SP1) or later for Windows® XP,which
    is available through Microsoft®Windows® Update
    Microsoft®Windows® Update

    It's starting to look like my problem is figuring out why Windows Update hasn't
    supplied the latest drivers.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ?

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per John of Aix:
    >> Not particularly. Go to the NEC site (or elsewhere) and download the
    >> drivers from there for this particularly or the motherboard
    >> generally. Use Belarc Advisor (free) to tell you what equipment you
    >> have exactly if you dopn't know.

    > Belarc Advisor is pretty neat. Thanks.
    >
    > But the search of a downloadable driver is still no-go.
    >
    > Even the NEC site, when you finally drill down to something relevant
    > aims you at the Microsoft update:

    Try via the constructor of the motherboard

  5. Re: Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ?

    Per John of Aix:
    >Try via the constructor of the motherboard

    I disconnected the MB's USB ports bc people on the ASUS ng were reporting fried
    boards sometimes when certain devices were connected.

    Put in a couple of PCI cards instead.

    But I think I've gotten it resolved. Gave up on the web thing, tried MS's
    blue SP2 disk with no luck, but then I fed it an MSDN disk (green, #2740
    "...service pack 2") and when I told DeviceManager to update drivers whatever it
    found on that disc seems to have done the job - at least I seem tb getting full
    speed on the ports and no more warnings from MS....

    Just finished burning an image of the current system and I think it's a wrap.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  6. Re: Upgraded Win2000 Pro ==>WinXP Pro: Lost USB2 ?

    Do u have service pack installed.?

    If yes then which one??

    And what u can also do is insert ur motherboard driver CD and go to my
    computer properties-hardware profile-device manager, there u might see
    a yellow color question mark in other devices and if u expand that list
    u will see that there is a name which says "USB CONTROLLER" something
    like this. what u do is right click on that and click update driver and
    then click on search for updated driver (recommended).

    It will take the driver file from the CD if there.

    regards,
    Akshay

    tell me if it works on akshaykumr@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread