Server Licensing question - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Server Licensing question - Microsoft Windows ; If we have 50 users and 50 CALS with a single server and we add a second server with all 50 users logging into both servers at the same time. Do we then need to purchase an additional 50 CALS ...

  1. Server Licensing question

    If we have 50 users and 50 CALS with a single server and we add a second
    server with all 50 users logging into both servers at the same time. Do we
    then need to purchase an additional 50 CALS for the second server? Or does
    setting up our server as a per seat license covers both servers?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Server Licensing question

    "Don" writes:

    >If we have 50 users and 50 CALS with a single server and we add a second
    >server with all 50 users logging into both servers at the same time. Do we
    >then need to purchase an additional 50 CALS for the second server? Or does
    >setting up our server as a per seat license covers both servers?

    Assuming that the new server uses the same CALs and that your entire
    user population is the 50 users, convert both servers to per-seat
    licensing. You now have 50 seats, one purchased CAL per seat,
    and you're licensed for those 50 users to access any number of servers
    supported by the CAL.

    It looks like Microsoft has renamed the license modes for Windows 2003,
    but the new names seem to represent the same basic ideas. The MS page
    for Windows 2003 licesnsing is

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...loverview.mspx

    (modulo any typos...)

    Joe Morris