Fitzquake stopped working -- why? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Fitzquake stopped working -- why? - Microsoft Windows ; I have a Windows XP system that, until today, ran Fitzquake 0.80 just fine. Today ... "Couldn't set fullscreen DIB mode" and it exits, without an opportunity to change to windowed, and without an explanation. I haven't made any changes ...

  1. Fitzquake stopped working -- why?

    I have a Windows XP system that, until today, ran Fitzquake 0.80 just
    fine. Today ...

    "Couldn't set fullscreen DIB mode" and it exits, without an opportunity
    to change to windowed, and without an explanation.

    I haven't made any changes to the system since the last time it was
    working (which was yesterday). In particular, I haven't changed the
    video drivers or messed with the video settings. In case it matters it's
    an nVidia GeForce2 card (an older card, but fine for classic Quaking).

    Task manager shows a "commit charge" of 571M; the machine has 1GB
    physical ram and about half again that available including swap. So it's
    not an out of memory problem.

    Does anyone have a clue what would cause it to stop working like this?
    Keeping in mind that I haven't changed anything, either with Fitzquake,
    or quake in general, or the video settings, or the system in general,
    since yesterday when it functioned normally.

    I can only guess it may have hosed itself on exit last time it was run,
    in which case I need to know what config file to tweak or replace with
    default. Keeping in mind I can't get into the app to change things via
    the options screens. :P

  2. Re: Fitzquake stopped working -- why?

    Twisted One wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP system that, until today, ran Fitzquake 0.80 just
    > fine. Today ...
    >
    > "Couldn't set fullscreen DIB mode" and it exits, without an opportunity
    > to change to windowed, and without an explanation.
    >
    > I haven't made any changes to the system since the last time it was
    > working (which was yesterday). In particular, I haven't changed the
    > video drivers or messed with the video settings. In case it matters it's
    > an nVidia GeForce2 card (an older card, but fine for classic Quaking).
    >
    > Task manager shows a "commit charge" of 571M; the machine has 1GB
    > physical ram and about half again that available including swap. So it's
    > not an out of memory problem.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue what would cause it to stop working like this?
    > Keeping in mind that I haven't changed anything, either with Fitzquake,
    > or quake in general, or the video settings, or the system in general,
    > since yesterday when it functioned normally.
    >
    > I can only guess it may have hosed itself on exit last time it was run,
    > in which case I need to know what config file to tweak or replace with
    > default. Keeping in mind I can't get into the app to change things via
    > the options screens. :P

    Well it looks like it's not Fitzquake, per se, but a video system problem.

    "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem"

    Yup -- Quake 3 won't run either. It sounds like both apps are unable to
    set the 1024x768x32bpp full-screen video mode, which is complete
    bollocks since that's the desktop video mode so it's ALREADY set and
    certainly within the machine's capabilities with its current video
    hardware and setup. It seems to really be unable to do 3D full-screen,
    when yesterday it could, the system hasn't been changed since then (or
    even rebooted, which would be needed to make serious changes take
    effect, even if they were changed without my knowledge somehow), there's
    plenty of RAM free, etc. etc. etc.

    System details in case it matters (exceeding the minimum system
    requirements for both games by a fair margin):

    1.53GHz Athlon XP 1800+;
    1GB physical RAM, of which more than half is currently free (and that's
    after starting up this newsreader);
    GeForce2 with drivers that were up to date as of a couple weeks ago, and
    haven't been changed since a time when both games were working a few
    days ago; and
    WinXP SP2, fully up to date on patches, but again nothing's been
    installed (patches, 3rd party software, MS software, anything) for
    several days. (Actually the most recent thing was Fitzquake 0.80,
    replacing 0.75, on this box...)

    What the hell is going on?