More bogus Explorer behavior - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on More bogus Explorer behavior - Microsoft Windows ; I just observed the following. Directory A contains 204 files matching particular search criteria, and contains no subdirectories; I thus have an Explorer search results window with 204 items. Directory B contains seventy-odd files; a window is open on it. ...

  1. More bogus Explorer behavior

    I just observed the following.

    Directory A contains 204 files matching particular search criteria, and
    contains no subdirectories; I thus have an Explorer search results
    window with 204 items.

    Directory B contains seventy-odd files; a window is open on it.

    The system is WinXP SP2, with an NTFS filesystem on a read/write volume
    and I have full admin rights.

    In the search results window I hit ctrl+A and verify that it has in fact
    selected everything. (It also shows "204 objects selected" in the status
    bar.) Then I right-drag and drop on directory B's window. It thinks for
    a bit then spits up an overwrite prompt; some of the files have the same
    names as files in directory B. I hit "yes to all". It continues to spin
    and then ...

    "193 objects selected". Deselecting shows only 193 objects in directory B.

    No error messages occurred.

    Now, my understanding is that there must be at least as many objects in
    directory B as there were search results from directory A after this
    procedure, for the following reasons:

    * Having admin rights I can read and copy any file on this system. If
    the file's in use or on a read-only medium such as CD-ROM I may of
    course still not be able to alter the file, but I can read and copy
    it.
    * Assuming all of the files from directory A are copied successfully,
    then 204 copies occur, given that I answered "yes to all" when
    prompted whether to overwrite files. Otherwise, an error message must
    occur.
    * Since there are no subdirectories of directory A, no two of the search
    results had the same name, so no file was copied and then later
    overwritten by another file during the copying. Therefore, 204
    distinct files with 204 distinct names should now exist in directory B
    -- PLUS any files originally in directory B that had different names
    from any of the results from directory A and were thus not
    overwritten.

    It follows from the above reasoning that either an error message occurs
    or the number of files in directory B is greater than 203.

    Since no error message occurred, we conclude that 193, the number of
    files in directory B after the copy, is greater than 203.

    Note also that nobody else was logged on to the same machine at the
    time, nor were any autonomous processes concurrently deleting or
    modifying any of the directories involved.

    There can be only two conclusions: either Explorer fails to report some
    errors, even ones fatal enough to possibly cause data loss (imagine I
    *moved* the 204 files and ended up with 193!), or a state-of-the-art
    computer is exceedingly bad at basic integer math.

    Anyone know what the **** is going on around here?

  2. Re: More bogus Explorer behavior

    It is hidden files or ones that are marked as "system" files by the OS.

  3. Re: More bogus Explorer behavior

    brustasconsulting@yahoo.com wrote:
    > It is hidden files or ones that are marked as "system" files by the OS.

    Doubtful. They're a bunch of jpegs. Besides I have show hidden files
    etc. turned on.

  4. Re: More bogus Explorer behavior

    Twisted One writes:

    > Anyone know what the **** is going on around here?

    Are you absolutely certain the 204 search results were all confined to
    directory A? What was the search criteria?

    The short odds on this issue is that the search window included
    filename collisions such that overwriting issues in a single target
    directory netted fewer files than there were search results.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: More bogus Explorer behavior

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Twisted One writes:
    >
    > Are you absolutely certain the 204 search results were all confined to
    > directory A? What was the search criteria?

    Yeah I am. The criteria consisted of a substring match in the file name.

    > The short odds on this issue is that the search window included
    > filename collisions such that overwriting issues in a single target
    > directory netted fewer files than there were search results.

    I'm certain that isn't the case. Unless filenames can fail to collide in
    one directory, yet collide in another that's part of the same filesystem...