Noisy Packard Bell laptop - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Noisy Packard Bell laptop - Microsoft Windows ; I have read through some of the old messages in this NG and realise I have probably made a mistake in purchasing a Packard Bell laptop, as it is extremely noisy. I have spoken to support staff who have been ...

  1. Noisy Packard Bell laptop

    I have read through some of the old messages in this NG and realise I
    have probably made a mistake in purchasing a Packard Bell laptop, as
    it is extremely noisy.

    I have spoken to support staff who have been less than helpful (maybe
    not their fault if they're supporting stuff that's not very good).

    My main issue is: the darned thing is SO very noisy. There is a
    constant noise of a fan running.

    I've tried setting the hard disk power settings to "shutdown" after 3
    minutes, but still thsi noise persists.

    Any other suggestions gratefully received.

    TIA

    Steve

  2. Re: Noisy Packard Bell laptop

    Steve Simons writes:

    > I have read through some of the old messages in this NG and realise I
    > have probably made a mistake in purchasing a Packard Bell laptop, as
    > it is extremely noisy.
    >
    > I have spoken to support staff who have been less than helpful (maybe
    > not their fault if they're supporting stuff that's not very good).
    >
    > My main issue is: the darned thing is SO very noisy. There is a
    > constant noise of a fan running.
    >
    > I've tried setting the hard disk power settings to "shutdown" after 3
    > minutes, but still thsi noise persists.
    >
    > Any other suggestions gratefully received.

    Some manufacturers issue Bios updates to address/control fan noise,
    implementing a temperature dependent fan speed algorithm in bios
    code. It might be worth checking for.

    If it's a failing unit (e.g. bad bearing in fan) vs bad design that is
    to blame, it'll need to be replaced to quiet it down.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread