Windows Explorer options? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows Explorer options? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, a few questions about Windows Explorer and the Start menu, on both Windows 9x and 2K/XP: When i right-mouse down on the Start menu, i can bring up the Windows Explorer quickly. Problem is, it always starts up deep ...

  1. Windows Explorer options?

    Hi, a few questions about Windows Explorer and the Start menu, on both
    Windows 9x and 2K/XP:

    When i right-mouse down on the Start menu, i can bring up the Windows
    Explorer quickly. Problem is, it always starts up deep within my C
    drive, in the directory that represents my actual Start menu.

    I don't want Explorer to start there and have to climb my way back up.
    Is there any way to rig Explorer so it starts up at C:\ or "My
    Computer"?

    Is there any way to rig Explorer so by default it lists files as
    "details" and "by date"? Unlike other apps there's no obvious "Options"
    meu i can pull down and work with.

    In the Start Menu, i can edit the tree of programs that comes up pretty
    easily. But the list that comes up when you right-mouse on Start, how
    do i edit this? I've had quite a few programs add themselves to this
    list and want to prune it back.

  2. Re: Windows Explorer options?

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:34:30 GMT, "Scuch"
    wrote:

    >Hi, a few questions about Windows Explorer and the Start menu, on both
    >Windows 9x and 2K/XP:
    >
    >When i right-mouse down on the Start menu, i can bring up the Windows
    >Explorer quickly. Problem is, it always starts up deep within my C
    >drive, in the directory that represents my actual Start menu.
    >
    >I don't want Explorer to start there and have to climb my way back up.
    >Is there any way to rig Explorer so it starts up at C:\ or "My
    >Computer"?

    Choosing "Explore" from the context (right-click) menu off the Start
    button tells Windows you want to browse the folders where the Start
    menu items are located (usually C:\Documents and
    Settings\\Start Menu). It is not the ideal way of launching
    Explorer if you want to browse your disks.

    I prefer to use the Win+E (that stupid little Windows key on most
    keyboards) keyboard shortcut, which opens Explorer in two-pane mode
    with "My Computer" selected in the left pane and drives visible in the
    right. You can also create a desktop shortcut that does the same thing
    with:
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,"C:\"

    >Is there any way to rig Explorer so by default it lists files as
    >"details" and "by date"? Unlike other apps there's no obvious "Options"
    >meu i can pull down and work with.

    Configure Explorer as you like it (details, listing, etc). Hit "Tools"
    on the menu-bar, then Folder Options. Click the "View" tab then "Apply
    to All Folders".

    >In the Start Menu, i can edit the tree of programs that comes up pretty
    >easily. But the list that comes up when you right-mouse on Start, how
    >do i edit this? I've had quite a few programs add themselves to this
    >list and want to prune it back.

    There are some third-party programs that allow you to edit Explorer's
    context (right-click) menus, but these generally do a half-assed job
    (I've not found one that lets you change or remove *all* the
    menu-items). This usually requires editing the registry by hand, not
    something for the inexperienced. Your best bet is to check the the
    programs in question and see if there are any options that will
    disable the context menu items. Other than that, you may wish to check
    the application's website for a FAQ on the topic, or google for
    " remove context menu items"

  3. Re: Windows Explorer options?

    Scuch wrote:
    > Hi, a few questions about Windows Explorer and the Start menu, on both
    > Windows 9x and 2K/XP:
    >
    > When i right-mouse down on the Start menu, i can bring up the Windows
    > Explorer quickly. Problem is, it always starts up deep within my C
    > drive, in the directory that represents my actual Start menu.
    >
    > I don't want Explorer to start there and have to climb my way back up.
    > Is there any way to rig Explorer so it starts up at C:\ or "My
    > Computer"?
    >
    > Is there any way to rig Explorer so by default it lists files as
    > "details" and "by date"? Unlike other apps there's no obvious
    > "Options" meu i can pull down and work with.

    I can't remember in 98, but in XP, make a shortcut and in its properties
    then the Target box, put the root or the directory of your choice.

    > In the Start Menu, i can edit the tree of programs that comes up
    > pretty easily. But the list that comes up when you right-mouse on
    > Start, how do i edit this? I've had quite a few programs add
    > themselves to this list and want to prune it back.

    It's in the registry but its a fiddle. Use Tweakui which will sort that
    out if I remember rightly. Downloadable from MS, for 98 or XP

+ Reply to Thread