"A request to suspend power was denied by WINWORD.EXE" - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on "A request to suspend power was denied by WINWORD.EXE" - Microsoft Windows ; (Please note the cross-postings and trim appropriately. I'll be participating in responses in all of the relevant groups.) I cannot suspend or hibernate my tablet when Word is running (neither when it is running in the foreground as a regular ...

  1. "A request to suspend power was denied by WINWORD.EXE"

    (Please note the cross-postings and trim appropriately. I'll be
    participating in responses in all of the relevant groups.)

    I cannot suspend or hibernate my tablet when Word is running (neither
    when it is running in the foreground as a regular application, nor
    when it is running in the background as a COM server, such as when
    using Word as one's email editor in Outlook). From a couple of
    different Google searches, I see that others have experienced this
    problem, but no solutions are posted. Can anyone offer me some advice
    as how to proceed?

    I own an Electrovaya Scribbler SC-2200 Premium tablet, running
    Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 and Microsoft Office
    Professional Edition 2003. Both are fully patched. My computer is a
    member of a domain, and my user account is configured with a roaming
    profile, folder redirection ("My Documents" and "Application Data" are
    both redirected back to my home directory on the network), and offline
    files.

    If I start Word while logged into my domain account (a power user), I
    cannot suspend my tablet, and the following is logged to the System
    Event Log:

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Win32k
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 240
    Date: 10/14/2005
    Time: 10:45:42 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: XENOPHONCINL2
    A request to suspend power was denied by WINWORD.EXE.

    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00
    0008: 00 00 00 00 f0 00 00 80
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

    If I start Word while logged into my domain admin account, I get the
    same error.

    Yet, if I start Word while logged into a local account (administrator
    or not), I am able to suspend the tablet. This leads me to believe
    this problem is a configuration issue of some kind.

    I compared the settings in Word among my three test accounts, but I
    cannot discover any material differences. I'm running Word with
    pretty much all of the default options (except for setting things like
    "two spaces after a sentence-ending period"). When I logged into the
    local account, I even mapped a drive letter to my domain user's "My
    Documents" folder and was able to suspend the tablet while I had a
    Word document there open, so I'm not sure it's Offline Files causing
    problems.

    Also, this problem occurs only in Word.

    Has anyone else encountered this problem? What additional
    troubleshooting can I do?

    Best wishes,
    Matthew

    --
    jsoffron: I'm generally pretty high on national defense...
    Mr. Bad Example: Careful...it's a gateway policy. Before you know it,

  2. Re: "A request to suspend power was denied by WINWORD.EXE"

    MXE> My computer is a member of a domain, and my user account is
    MXE> configured with a roaming profile, folder redirection ("My
    MXE> Documents" and "Application Data" are both redirected back to
    MXE> my home directory on the network), and offline files.

    MXE> If I start Word while logged into my domain account (a power
    MXE> user), I cannot suspend my tablet, and the following is
    MXE> logged to the System Event Log:

    MXE> Event Type: Warning Event Source: Win32k Event Category: None
    MXE> Event ID: 240 Date: 10/14/2005 Time: 10:45:42 AM User: N/A
    MXE> Computer: XENOPHONCINL2 Description: A request to suspend
    MXE> power was denied by WINWORD.EXE.

    The culprit, it turns out, is the combination of Offline Files and
    Folder Redirection for the "Application Data" folder. Once I
    redirected that folder back into my roaming profile, I was able to
    suspend my tablet with Word running.

    My guess is that no one else figured this out, so I'm posting the
    solution here for posterity's sake.

    Best wishes,
    Matthew

    --
    jsoffron: I'm generally pretty high on national defense...
    Mr. Bad Example: Careful...it's a gateway policy. Before you know it,
    you'll be mainlining the hard stuff like trade agreements.
    jsoffron: Too late...I've been freebasing Nafta all day... Sweet,
    sweet NAFTA.
    - As seen on Slashdot

+ Reply to Thread