GA-7zx install problems - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on GA-7zx install problems - Microsoft Windows ; Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots of suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive answer to why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. GA-7zx install problems

    Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots of
    suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive answer to
    why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I have x-posted
    because I have yet to find a definitive answer to this problem.

    Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and 7GB-same
    channel

    256 MB Ram

    Bios American Megatrends 1/2001

    I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost impossible
    to tell with from the gigabyte website).

    Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from another
    working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed a: c: to put
    the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary boot). Can I install
    by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I boot from c: drive?

    I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other drivers
    installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name). Matrox video
    installed. I think onboard sound.

    I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly loaded
    to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).

    Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    halted system".

    I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and will
    just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows that is not
    so problematical with this machine?

    I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the settings
    are factory default.

    Anyone?

  2. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    I forgot to ask, how does one determine whether or not to install
    various mfg. drivers onto this box prior to install? I have the latest
    "4-in-1" driver package-what drivers are those by the way? I also have
    an audio driver for w98-all taken from gigabyte site. I have hwinfo but
    not really sure how to use the report it generates.

    herman wrote in news:dimch1$as7$1@sadr.dfn.de:

    > Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots
    > of suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive
    > answer to why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I
    > have x-posted because I have yet to find a definitive answer to this
    > problem.
    >
    > Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and
    > 7GB-same channel
    >
    > 256 MB Ram
    >
    > Bios American Megatrends 1/2001
    >
    > I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost
    > impossible to tell with from the gigabyte website).
    >
    > Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from
    > another working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed a:
    > c: to put the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary boot). Can
    > I install by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I boot from c:
    > drive?
    >
    > I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other
    > drivers installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name).
    > Matrox video installed. I think onboard sound.
    >
    > I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly
    > loaded to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).
    >
    > Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    > setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    > halted system".
    >
    > I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    > win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and
    > will just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows that
    > is not so problematical with this machine?
    >
    > I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the settings
    > are factory default.
    >
    > Anyone?

  3. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    Colin Wilson wrote in
    news:MPG.1db8d088222a945f98b4f0@news.individual.ne t:

    >> Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    >> setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    >> halted system".

    > I had a similar problem with random installation errors a few years

    ago.
    > Possibly my worst weekend ever, with over 26 attempts to reinstall :-}

    Thanks for the answer, but I already did this before posting-no errors
    at least for the 15 minutes I ran it.

    > Download and run Memtest86 (its a self booting memory test app) -

    leave
    > it running for a while - overnight if possible - but if the memory is
    > bad you`ll probably know within 10 minutes. It sounds suspiciously

    like
    > a memory error to me.

  4. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    Many things can interfere with a setup. This is why you may not find a
    difinitive answer. Many unknowns are not provided for someone to be exact.

    These things can all cause the kind of error message your received:
    • There are incorrect basic input/output system (BIOS) settings for a
    built-in peripheral device on your motherboard (for example, cache settings,
    CPU timing, hard disks, and so on).
    • Your computer has bad or mismatched random access memory (RAM) or cache
    (for example, if you are using EDO and non-EDO RAM, or you are using
    different RAM speeds).
    • The motherboard in your computer is not working properly.
    • Hard Drive not set to double buffer.

    Simplify your install by formating C:drive. Make afolder on the formated
    drive and Copy your cab files over to this follder. Use startup disk and
    launch setup from this new folder.

    To do this with your current setup:
    Be sure your Hard Drive jumper settings are Master(to be installed) &
    slave(setup files). If you have 2 sticks of RAM in the computer, install
    with one. 128MB is plenty. Add 2nd stick after setup. Start system with a
    win98 startup disk that includes format.com on it. This file can be copyied
    onto startup disk from a running win98 computer
    (C:\Windows\Command\format.com). Start without CDrom support. Type 'e:'
    press enter. type 'dir /p' press enter. Should see all folders & files on
    your slave drive. type 'cd windows\options\cabs' press enter You should
    be able to verify your Windows cab files on E drive. Type 'a:' press
    enter. Type in 'format C:' press enter. After format type in 'mkdir win98'
    press enter. Type in copy 'C:\windows\options\cabs\*.* c:\win98\' press
    enter. Type in 'C:' press enter. Type in 'cd win98' press enter. Type in
    'dir /p' press enter. You should see all setup files on C: Shut off
    computer. Disconnect your slave drive. Start computer with startup disk (no
    cdrom support). At command prompt, type 'fdisk /mbr' press enter. At
    command prompt, type in 'C:' press enter. Type in 'cd win98' press enter.
    Type in 'setup' press enter.

    > I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    > win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and will
    > just use some other OS.Is there another version of windows that is not
    > so problematical with this machine? >

    Anything you use can be problematic if you don't want to do the work to set
    it right. You could install Windows XP from a CDrom. It may take some of
    the issues out of installing an OS to a drive.

    Good Luck

    "herman" wrote in message

    > Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots of
    > suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive answer to
    > why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I have x-posted
    > because I have yet to find a definitive answer to this problem.
    >
    > Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and 7GB-same
    > channel
    >
    > 256 MB Ram
    >
    > Bios American Megatrends 1/2001
    >
    > I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost impossible
    > to tell with from the gigabyte website).
    >
    > Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from another
    > working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed a: c: to put
    > the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary boot). Can I install
    > by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I boot from c: drive?
    >
    > I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other drivers
    > installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name). Matrox video
    > installed. I think onboard sound.
    >
    > I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly loaded
    > to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).
    >
    > Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    > setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    > halted system".
    >
    > I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    > win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and will
    > just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows that is not
    > so problematical with this machine?
    >
    > I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the settings
    > are factory default.
    >
    > Anyone?

  5. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    thanks but I only have one stick-256MB and everything else I've run seem
    stable, so why do u think memory is bad??

    Shep© wrote in

    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:18:46 +0000 (UTC) If God exists he'll get
    > herman for writing this :
    >
    >>Colin Wilson wrote in
    >>news:MPG.1db8d088222a945f98b4f0@news.individual.ne t:

    error,

    >>> I had a similar problem with random installation errors a few years

    >>ago.
    >>> Possibly my worst weekend ever, with over 26 attempts to reinstall

    :-}

    >>Thanks for the answer, but I already did this before posting-no errors
    >>at least for the 15 minutes I ran it.
    >>

    >>> Download and run Memtest86 (its a self booting memory test app) -

    >>leave
    >>> it running for a while - overnight if possible - but if the memory

    is
    >>> bad you`ll probably know within 10 minutes. It sounds suspiciously

    >>like
    >>> a memory error to me.
    >>>

    > Software memory testers are useless.
    >
    > If you have two sticks of ram take one out and try the one left in on
    > it's own and then in each slot.
    >
    > If no good then do the same with the other stick.
    > HTH

  6. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    No disrespect intended, but why would memory be bad if other things run
    ok? Also memtest does not show bad memory and this is reportedly a good
    program. Anyone know what bios settings are best for this, I don't
    really understand fully the MS page on slowing the computer and the
    various settings. I like to know what I am doing before I start fiddling
    with bios settings. Anyone?

    "Gene" wrote in

    > Many things can interfere with a setup. This is why you may not find
    > a difinitive answer. Many unknowns are not provided for someone to be
    > exact.
    >
    > These things can all cause the kind of error message your received:
    > • There are incorrect basic input/output system (BIOS) settings for a
    > built-in peripheral device on your motherboard (for example, cache
    > settings, CPU timing, hard disks, and so on).
    > • Your computer has bad or mismatched random access memory (RAM) or
    > cache (for example, if you are using EDO and non-EDO RAM, or you are
    > using different RAM speeds).
    > • The motherboard in your computer is not working properly.
    > • Hard Drive not set to double buffer.
    >
    > Simplify your install by formating C:drive. Make afolder on the
    > formated drive and Copy your cab files over to this follder. Use
    > startup disk and launch setup from this new folder.

    This install is on a blank drive. D:drive/setupfiles/setup.exe to C:
    drive. Both are blank except for D drive setup/cab files, which were
    taken from a working win98se system.

    No mismatched memory cuz there is only one stick and everything else
    SEEMS stable.

    I have two cd-rw on same ide channel with only dos drivers, so maybe try
    disconnecting those. Also, I think ram was set to maximum speed, so
    maybe slow it down.

    > To do this with your current setup:
    > Be sure your Hard Drive jumper settings are Master(to be installed) &
    > slave(setup files). If you have 2 sticks of RAM in the computer,
    > install with one. 128MB is plenty. Add 2nd stick after setup.

    see above only one stick. Cable select working on bothd drives.

    Start
    > system with a win98 startup disk that includes format.com on it. This
    > file can be copyied onto startup disk from a running win98 computer
    > (C:\Windows\Command\format.com). Start without CDrom support. Type
    > 'e:' press enter. type 'dir /p' press enter. Should see all folders
    > & files on your slave drive. type 'cd windows\options\cabs' press
    > enter You should be able to verify your Windows cab files on E
    > drive. Type 'a:' press enter. Type in 'format C:' press enter.
    > After format type in 'mkdir win98' press enter. Type in copy
    > 'C:\windows\options\cabs\*.* c:\win98\' press enter. Type in 'C:'
    > press enter. Type in 'cd win98' press enter. Type in 'dir /p' press
    > enter. You should see all setup files on C: Shut off computer.
    > Disconnect your slave drive. Start computer with startup disk (no
    > cdrom support). At command prompt, type 'fdisk /mbr' press enter.
    > At command prompt, type in 'C:' press enter. Type in 'cd win98' press
    > enter. Type in 'setup' press enter.

    I am not a novice. This stuff has already been done. These are freshly
    formatted drives and scandisk ok.

    >> I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    >> win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and
    >> will just use some other OS.Is there another version of windows that
    >> is not so problematical with this machine? >

    > Anything you use can be problematic if you don't want to do the work
    > to set it right. You could install Windows XP from a CDrom. It may
    > take some of the issues out of installing an OS to a drive.
    >
    > Good Luck
    >

    > "herman" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots
    >> of suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive
    >> answer to why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I
    >> have x-posted because I have yet to find a definitive answer to this
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and
    >> 7GB-same channel
    >>
    >> 256 MB Ram
    >>
    >> Bios American Megatrends 1/2001
    >>
    >> I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost
    >> impossible to tell with from the gigabyte website).
    >>
    >> Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from
    >> another working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed a:
    >> c: to put the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary boot).
    >> Can I install by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I boot from
    >> c: drive?
    >>
    >> I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other
    >> drivers installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name).
    >> Matrox video installed. I think onboard sound.
    >>
    >> I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly
    >> loaded to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).
    >>
    >> Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    >> setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    >> halted system".
    >>
    >> I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    >> win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and
    >> will just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows that
    >> is not so problematical with this machine?
    >>
    >> I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the
    >> settings are factory default.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

  7. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    > No disrespect intended, but why would memory be bad if other things run
    > ok?

    Bad memory is just one of those b*stard intermittent random error
    generating things that sounded a little like your problem. It may well
    not be the problem.

    Have you tried booting up from something like a Knoppix CD, and does
    that work ok ?

    --
    Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
    **** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

  8. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    I am talking to the gigabyte tech people. They tell me that the setup
    files I have may be from a OEM win98se release that tries to install
    it's own drivers which are incompatible with the drivers on the system.

    New question, is there an install switch/switches that prevents setup
    from installing such drivers AND, how do I know what drivers the box is
    currently using, since I got the box second hand? Will hwinfo give this
    information? Should I try to install latest gigabyte drivers?

    They are also telling me I cannot have the hdrives on the secondary ide
    channel, which they are working ok on now. I must move them to channel
    one primary. Never heard of this before?

    herman wrote in news:dimch1$as7$1@sadr.dfn.de:

    > Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots
    > of suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive
    > answer to why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I
    > have x-posted because I have yet to find a definitive answer to this
    > problem.
    >
    > Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and
    > 7GB-same channel
    >
    > 256 MB Ram
    >
    > Bios American Megatrends 1/2001
    >
    > I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost
    > impossible to tell with from the gigabyte website).
    >
    > Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from
    > another working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed a:
    > c: to put the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary boot). Can
    > I install by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I boot from c:
    > drive?
    >
    > I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other
    > drivers installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name).
    > Matrox video installed. I think onboard sound.
    >
    > I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly
    > loaded to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).
    >
    > Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    > setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    > halted system".
    >
    > I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    > win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and
    > will just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows that
    > is not so problematical with this machine?
    >
    > I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the settings
    > are factory default.
    >
    > Anyone?

  9. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    Colin Wilson wrote in
    news:MPG.1db8e4ebd87c7c9198b4f7@news.individual.ne t:

    See my own followup to OP. Am talking with Gigabyte tech people, they
    have some novel suggestions. Your input is welcome, thanks.

    >> No disrespect intended, but why would memory be bad if other things
    >> run ok?

    > Bad memory is just one of those b*stard intermittent random error
    > generating things that sounded a little like your problem. It may well
    > not be the problem.
    >
    > Have you tried booting up from something like a Knoppix CD, and does
    > that work ok ?

  10. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:11:57 +0000 (UTC) If God exists he'll get
    herman for writing this :

    >thanks but I only have one stick-256MB and everything else I've run seem
    >stable, so why do u think memory is bad??

    Yes.

    Or it's edge connectors need cleaning.You can use some clean
    alcohol(Vodka) and tissue to do this.Also try the stick in a different
    slot.

    You can also set the BIOS Ram parameters to their lowest speed and
    least aggressive settings.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

  11. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:11:23 +0000 (UTC) If God exists he'll get
    herman for writing this :

    Bull****.

    >New question, is there an install switch/switches that prevents setup
    >from installing such drivers AND, how do I know what drivers the box is
    >currently using, since I got the box second hand? Will hwinfo give this
    >information? Should I try to install latest gigabyte drivers?
    >
    >They are also telling me I cannot have the hdrives on the secondary ide
    >channel, which they are working ok on now. I must move them to channel
    >one primary. Never heard of this before?

    See above.
    Some tech wanker on the other end of the phone who knows bugger
    all(Scheisse alles).

    Get/Borrow another ram stick.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

  12. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    Type in SETUP /? to see the switches. Yes, I do believe there is one just
    for that, but I can't say for certain. The /nh switch is the one I'm
    thinking of. "This switch bypasses running the Hwinfo.exe program at 0
    percent files and RunOnce" Should work fine with a plain-vanilla Win98 OEM
    CD. Not sure where you'd run into the demand to install drivers, but I'd
    want to copy all of the drivers installation files you're going to need to
    the HD from a Startup floppy boot, ahead of time. Create a folder called
    drivers, then sub-folders for each set, using the Startup disk's CD drivers
    to get the job done. You want to be able to get to them easily when the time
    comes. My guess (haven't tried it) is that you would want to boot
    immediately into Safe Mode to run the installers that come as EXE files.

    Description of the Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup Switches

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "herman" wrote in message
    > I am talking to the gigabyte tech people. They tell me that the setup
    > files I have may be from a OEM win98se release that tries to install
    > it's own drivers which are incompatible with the drivers on the system.
    >
    > New question, is there an install switch/switches that prevents setup
    > from installing such drivers AND, how do I know what drivers the box is
    > currently using, since I got the box second hand? Will hwinfo give this
    > information? Should I try to install latest gigabyte drivers?
    >
    > They are also telling me I cannot have the hdrives on the secondary ide
    > channel, which they are working ok on now. I must move them to channel
    > one primary. Never heard of this before?
    >

    > herman wrote in news:dimch1$as7$1@sadr.dfn.de:
    >

    > > Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots
    > > of suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive
    > > answer to why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I
    > > have x-posted because I have yet to find a definitive answer to this
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and
    > > 7GB-same channel
    > >
    > > 256 MB Ram
    > >
    > > Bios American Megatrends 1/2001
    > >
    > > I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost
    > > impossible to tell with from the gigabyte website).
    > >
    > > Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from
    > > another working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed a:
    > > c: to put the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary boot). Can
    > > I install by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I boot from c:
    > > drive?
    > >
    > > I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other
    > > drivers installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name).
    > > Matrox video installed. I think onboard sound.
    > >
    > > I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly
    > > loaded to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).
    > >
    > > Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    > > setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    > > halted system".
    > >
    > > I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    > > win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and
    > > will just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows that
    > > is not so problematical with this machine?
    > >
    > > I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the settings
    > > are factory default.
    > >
    > > Anyone?

  13. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    I'd recommend a pencil eraser (a clean one) instead of alcohol, vodka or
    otherwise.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Shep©" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:11:57 +0000 (UTC) If God exists he'll get
    > herman for writing this :
    >
    > >thanks but I only have one stick-256MB and everything else I've run seem
    > >stable, so why do u think memory is bad??

    > Yes.
    >
    > Or it's edge connectors need cleaning.You can use some clean
    > alcohol(Vodka) and tissue to do this.Also try the stick in a different
    > slot.
    >
    > You can also set the BIOS Ram parameters to their lowest speed and
    > least aggressive settings.
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,

  14. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote in

    Thanks for the url. This guy at gigabyte quit responding. I get the
    feeling my questions are beyond his level. There are TONS of posts with
    people having trouble installing win9x with gigabyte boards. Either
    win98 is buggy or their boards are buggy. Not sure which at this point.
    I wonder if win2000 would be any easier to install. Also several have
    said they needed to modify the bios settings and that the comp. might be
    running too fast for win98, but they do not explain exactly which bios
    settings and why. As I said in my OP, there is alot of suggestions but
    trying to find which is valid is problematical. Why do tech support
    people try to fudge replies when they really do not know?

  15. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    Thanks very much for your reply, Shep. I will try your suggestions. more
    below..

    Shep© wrote in

    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:11:57 +0000 (UTC) If God exists he'll get
    > herman for writing this :
    >
    >>thanks but I only have one stick-256MB and everything else I've run

    seem
    >>stable, so why do u think memory is bad??

    > Yes.
    >
    > Or it's edge connectors need cleaning.You can use some clean
    > alcohol(Vodka) and tissue to do this.Also try the stick in a different
    > slot.
    >
    > You can also set the BIOS Ram parameters to their lowest speed and
    > least aggressive settings.

    ok can you advise which settings and why this is a factor? thanks.

  16. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:20:13 -0700 If God exists he'll get "Gary S.
    Terhune" for writing this :

    >I'd recommend a pencil eraser (a clean one) instead of alcohol, vodka or
    >otherwise.

    Yup.Good call.Forgot that trick

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

  17. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    Hey, why waste good vodka? Or even bad vodka?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Shep©" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:20:13 -0700 If God exists he'll get "Gary S.
    > Terhune" for writing this :
    >
    > >I'd recommend a pencil eraser (a clean one) instead of alcohol, vodka or
    > >otherwise.

    > Yup.Good call.Forgot that trick
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,

  18. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    See enclosed replies -

    "herman" wrote in message
    > I am talking to the gigabyte tech people. They tell me that the setup
    > files I have may be from a OEM win98se release that tries to install
    > it's own drivers which are incompatible with the drivers on the system.

    They're talking a manufactured PC with its OEM CD. A buy with hardware OEM
    CD works just the same as retail for a new install.

    > New question, is there an install switch/switches that prevents setup
    > from installing such drivers AND, how do I know what drivers the box is
    > currently using, since I got the box second hand? Will hwinfo give this
    > information? Should I try to install latest gigabyte drivers?

    You might have chipset specfic drivers that windows does not have a specific
    set of drivers for. In this case, a generic set of drivers is installed for
    the motherboard. Any other suspect hardware should be either disabled in
    the bios, and slot hardware removed until the install is completed.

    > They are also telling me I cannot have the hdrives on the secondary ide
    > channel, which they are working ok on now. I must move them to channel
    > one primary. Never heard of this before?

    The boot drive that windows resides on should be disk 0, or master on the
    primary ide channel. Its okay, even advisable to have the second hard drive
    on the secondary channel if the PC has problems with reads/writes with two
    hard drives on the primary ide channel.

    Further, I would remove the both cd devices from the system to eliminate any
    possibility of these causing I/O communication problems on the either ide
    channel. Be sure to reset any jumper pins on the hard drives if needed for
    proper master/slave designation, especially if a WD hard drive.

    Replacing the ide ribbon cables is standard procedure on older PCs with me.
    Stick with 80 wire versions. Stick with master/slave designations only.

    If you do have a marginal I/O problem, copying the files from the CD to a
    hard drive, then using those for an installation only multiplies the
    possibility of more problems. RAM also plays into copying as well.

    Booting from a floppy is standard procedure with installing Win9X/ME.
    Normally, the startup diskette is used. See bootdisk.com for yours, be sure
    to follow directions at the site on making the floppy. This contains a
    generic dos driver for locating most cdroms, but not all.

    As @Shep indicated, sure sounds like a RAM problem, or a bios timing problem
    in relation to the RAM.

    My question is why is emm386 running high memory, instead of just upper
    memory for drivers? At least that's what the error message implies. Try
    the /noems switch
    If you're not running any drivers high umb, there's no need for emm386 at
    all.

    If the motherboard is of Via chipset origin, by all means load the 4 in 1
    drivers. This is AFTER windows is installed.

    > herman wrote in news:dimch1$as7$1@sadr.dfn.de:
    >

    > > Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found. Lots
    > > of suggestions out there but no one seems to know the definitive
    > > answer to why it is so hard to get win98se to install on this box. I
    > > have x-posted because I have yet to find a definitive answer to this
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and
    > > 7GB-same channel
    > >
    > > 256 MB Ram
    > >
    > > Bios American Megatrends 1/2001
    > >
    > > I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost
    > > impossible to tell with from the gigabyte website).
    > >
    > > Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from
    > > another working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed a:
    > > c: to put the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary boot). Can
    > > I install by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I boot from c:
    > > drive?
    > >
    > > I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other
    > > drivers installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name).
    > > Matrox video installed. I think onboard sound.
    > >
    > > I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly
    > > loaded to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).
    > >
    > > Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    > > setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found error,
    > > halted system".
    > >
    > > I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    > > win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and
    > > will just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows that
    > > is not so problematical with this machine?
    > >
    > > I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the settings
    > > are factory default.
    > >
    > > Anyone?

  19. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    "Lil' Dave" wrote in

    > See enclosed replies -
    >
    > "herman" wrote in message
    >> I am talking to the gigabyte tech people. They tell me that the setup
    >> files I have may be from a OEM win98se release that tries to install
    >> it's own drivers which are incompatible with the drivers on the
    >> system.
    >>

    > They're talking a manufactured PC with its OEM CD. A buy with
    > hardware OEM CD works just the same as retail for a new install.

    I told them that, but they will not accept it. They keep claiming I've
    got a bad copy of the install when I know I don't.

    >> New question, is there an install switch/switches that prevents setup
    >> from installing such drivers AND, how do I know what drivers the box
    >> is currently using, since I got the box second hand? Will hwinfo give
    >> this information? Should I try to install latest gigabyte drivers?
    >>

    > You might have chipset specfic drivers that windows does not have a
    > specific set of drivers for. In this case, a generic set of drivers
    > is installed for the motherboard. Any other suspect hardware should
    > be either disabled in the bios, and slot hardware removed until the
    > install is completed.

    No I found the problem, see below.

    >> They are also telling me I cannot have the hdrives on the secondary
    >> ide channel, which they are working ok on now. I must move them to
    >> channel one primary. Never heard of this before?
    >>

    > The boot drive that windows resides on should be disk 0, or master on
    > the primary ide channel. Its okay, even advisable to have the second
    > hard drive on the secondary channel if the PC has problems with
    > reads/writes with two hard drives on the primary ide channel.

    System/windows should work fine as long as c: drive (to which win
    installs) is drv0, regardless of ide channel at MB. System was working
    fine with other programs, etc with both drive on ide channel two,
    although channel one might be faster.

    > Further, I would remove the both cd devices from the system to
    > eliminate any possibility of these causing I/O communication problems
    > on the either ide channel. Be sure to reset any jumper pins on the
    > hard drives if needed for proper master/slave designation, especially
    > if a WD hard drive.

    No this is going down the wrong road see below

    > Replacing the ide ribbon cables is standard procedure on older PCs
    > with me. Stick with 80 wire versions. Stick with master/slave
    > designations only.
    >
    > If you do have a marginal I/O problem, copying the files from the CD
    > to a hard drive, then using those for an installation only multiplies
    > the possibility of more problems. RAM also plays into copying as
    > well.

    not an i/o problem

    > Booting from a floppy is standard procedure with installing Win9X/ME.
    > Normally, the startup diskette is used. See bootdisk.com for yours,
    > be sure to follow directions at the site on making the floppy. This
    > contains a generic dos driver for locating most cdroms, but not all.
    >
    > As @Shep indicated, sure sounds like a RAM problem, or a bios timing
    > problem in relation to the RAM.

    now your getting hot, see below

    > My question is why is emm386 running high memory, instead of just
    > upper memory for drivers? At least that's what the error message
    > implies. Try the /noems switch
    > If you're not running any drivers high umb, there's no need for emm386
    > at all.

    had to remove emm386 was causing conflicts, even though I believe
    windows advises using it (if memory serves) if you get an out of error
    message.

    ***
    Ok, here is the solution. I did the following: took out ram stick,
    cleaned with eraser and alcohol, put back in. System would not boot with
    ram in another slot, had to use same slot. If stick was put in second
    slot, blank screen-nothing.

    took out emm386 which I was using to increase convention memory by
    conflicts with windows memory calls.

    however the thing that really solved the problem is I had to set bios
    ram to 100MHZ not 133MHZ. Win98 will not install, NOR will it run with
    the memory set to 133, even though the memory has a sticker on it that
    says 133MHZ and the memory checked ok with testing and was stable with
    other apps. It was not the memory but the bios memory speed setting that
    win98 choked on. I got every kind of error in the book, too many to
    write down here. SOon as i set it to 100 MHZ install went smoothly.
    AND if i set it back, after successful install, windows will not boot,
    give gpf errors.

    I don't know maybe win98 cannot run on a fast system. There have been
    several posters who claim this and MS "help" sheet on this advises
    slowing down the system to accomdate windows.

    Anyways now have a pretty fast win98 os on this box, except for the
    sound and modem. Do not know which drivers to install, I think the sound
    is onboard on this GA-7zx Rev. 1.01, and I don't really know what is in
    the 4-in-1 package; besides they have another sound driver package for
    the same board called something like creative sound win2003. Any help
    along those lines is appreciated.

    > If the motherboard is of Via chipset origin, by all means load the 4
    > in 1 drivers. This is AFTER windows is installed.

    That is what I was wondering. What drivers exactly do them mean by 4 in
    one, does that include sound, modem, what? I have the os installed now
    but it's telling me I need to install drivers for sound and modem. Modem
    won't even report mfg., it is some generic (prob. piece of crap). Cannot
    even find anything on card.

    >> herman wrote in news:dimch1$as7$1@sadr.dfn.de:
    >>

    >> > Been searching on this problem, nothing really on target found.
    >> > Lots of suggestions out there but no one seems to know the
    >> > definitive answer to why it is so hard to get win98se to install on
    >> > this box. I have x-posted because I have yet to find a definitive
    >> > answer to this problem.
    >> >
    >> > Gigabyte ZA-7zx Rev. 1.01. AMD Duron 800 MHZ two hds: 14GB and
    >> > 7GB-same channel
    >> >
    >> > 256 MB Ram
    >> >
    >> > Bios American Megatrends 1/2001
    >> >
    >> > I got this box 2nd hand. I have the MB manual (i think-almost
    >> > impossible to tell with from the gigabyte website).
    >> >
    >> > Trying to install Win98SE from Slave drive cab files, taken from
    >> > another working system. Using same system win98 boot disk I sysed
    >> > a: c: to put the boot files onto the C: install drive (primary
    >> > boot). Can I install by booting from w98 boot diskette? Or must I
    >> > boot from c: drive?
    >> >
    >> > I also have two cd-roms that work with dos drivers, but no other
    >> > drivers installed for them, a modem card (cannot find the name).
    >> > Matrox video installed. I think onboard sound.
    >> >
    >> > I keep getting to the install screen and the files are supposedly
    >> > loaded to the C: drive (when exercising setup from the D drive).
    >> >
    >> > Then I get all kinds of errors after that including: SUWIN GPF at
    >> > setupx.dll, "serious error, cannot write to c:", "emm386 found
    >> > error, halted system".
    >> >
    >> > I really do NOT want to start taking the machine apart to install
    >> > win98se-would rather avoid taking out cards to make the install and
    >> > will just use some other OS. Is there another version of windows
    >> > that is not so problematical with this machine?
    >> >
    >> > I have done nothing with the bios and do not even know if the
    >> > settings are factory default.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone?

  20. Re: GA-7zx install problems

    Actually, it *was* the RAM. Either your RAM is only meant to run on 100Mhz
    or slower, or, if it is nominally 133 RAM, the RAM and/or motherboard have
    problems that cause them to falter when run at 133 and backing it off to 100
    saves the day. I had a similar problem with RAM that was supposedly 133Mhz
    (Kensington) and a motherboard that should handle that (ABIT AT-7) and they
    all agreed that 2GB should be no problem. But it was. I can either clock the
    system back to 100Mhz FSB or I can reduce the amount to 1.5GB, and if not,
    it got flaky, and this was WinXP, which is quite able to handle faster and
    more RAM.

    Note that the effect is worse during installation, and many times all you
    have to do is clock things back, or use less RAM, to allow Windows to
    install, after which you can sometimes ramp things back up to full speed and
    capacity with few if any problems. That wasn't the case in mine -- the
    errors were fewer once Windows was installed, but they didn't disappear.

    Clocking back the FSB may simply be reducing the stress on a marginal setup.
    But it isn't the speed, per se, and it has nothing to do with Windows'
    capabilities. It's all in the hardware. You either had it configured wrong
    in the first place according to the hardware you have installed, or it's
    just gets flaky when you push it to max specs.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

+ Reply to Thread