Windows 98 or Me? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows 98 or Me? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD, Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much ...

  1. Windows 98 or Me?

    Hi,

    I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer
    which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD,
    Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much resources
    compared to Windows 98? Currently I'm completing Boinc/seti@home work
    units just before the deadline, and I want to continue to crunch

    A related problem I have is that I can't use a Conexant HSFi dial-up
    modem (not for Internet but for faxing and other dial-up data transfer)
    with Windows 98, it needs at least the Win 98SE. If I don't loose
    resources, Win Me would be OK, else I'm thinking about buying another
    modem.

    TIA.

    PS:Crosspost to news:microsoft.public.windowsme.general , follow-up to
    (fu2) news:comp.os.ms-windows.misc .

  2. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    "Stegozor" writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer
    > which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD,
    > Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much resources
    > compared to Windows 98? Currently I'm completing Boinc/seti@home work
    > units just before the deadline, and I want to continue to crunch
    >
    > A related problem I have is that I can't use a Conexant HSFi dial-up
    > modem (not for Internet but for faxing and other dial-up data transfer)
    > with Windows 98, it needs at least the Win 98SE. If I don't loose
    > resources, Win Me would be OK, else I'm thinking about buying another
    > modem.

    Oy. Talk about a choice between two evils. ME is an unstable piece
    of flaming dung, and 98 (non-SE) doesn't work with a lot of stuff that
    requires SE as a prereq. ME might have a little edge there for
    functionality sake.

    I'd push to try to find a 98SE to toss on there. Or I'd consider
    tossing something relatively easy like Ubuntu Linux on there (provided
    there's a seti@home client for linux...which there may well be).
    There you'd have a very solid OS, but probably be w/o that dial up
    modem as well. A good external usb fax/modem though has to be
    available for give away prices on ebay these days.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    Stegozor wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer
    > which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD,
    > Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much resources
    > compared to Windows 98? Currently I'm completing Boinc/seti@home work
    > units just before the deadline, and I want to continue to crunch
    >
    > A related problem I have is that I can't use a Conexant HSFi dial-up
    > modem (not for Internet but for faxing and other dial-up data transfer)
    > with Windows 98, it needs at least the Win 98SE. If I don't loose
    > resources, Win Me would be OK, else I'm thinking about buying another
    > modem.
    >
    > TIA.

    Both suck, but Windows ME sucks significantly more. It's a computer
    virus thinly disquised as an OS. Don't even *think* about using it.

    Get a new modem if you have to, but DON'T under any circumstances use
    ME.

    -jc

    > PS:Crosspost to news:microsoft.public.windowsme.general , follow-up to
    > (fu2) news:comp.os.ms-windows.misc .

  4. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    I have to agree. Although my current PC came with XP and I skipped ME, my
    brother had a machine that came factory equipped with ME. If even half of
    the horror stories he's told me about ME are true, it's an OS that's best
    avoided.

    "cirejcon" wrote in message
    news:1129142111.734776.302240@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

    > Stegozor wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer
    >> which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD,
    >> Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much resources
    >> compared to Windows 98? Currently I'm completing Boinc/seti@home work
    >> units just before the deadline, and I want to continue to crunch
    >>
    >> A related problem I have is that I can't use a Conexant HSFi dial-up
    >> modem (not for Internet but for faxing and other dial-up data transfer)
    >> with Windows 98, it needs at least the Win 98SE. If I don't loose
    >> resources, Win Me would be OK, else I'm thinking about buying another
    >> modem.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > Both suck, but Windows ME sucks significantly more. It's a computer
    > virus thinly disquised as an OS. Don't even *think* about using it.
    >
    > Get a new modem if you have to, but DON'T under any circumstances use
    > ME.
    >
    > -jc
    >

    >> PS:Crosspost to news:microsoft.public.windowsme.general , follow-up to
    >> (fu2) news:comp.os.ms-windows.misc .

  5. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    Thomas Ponta wrote:
    > I have to agree. Although my current PC came with XP and I skipped ME, my
    > brother had a machine that came factory equipped with ME. If even half of
    > the horror stories he's told me about ME are true, it's an OS that's best
    > avoided.

    They were all true. We got a computer that came preloaded with ME
    a few years ago. It's hard to put into words how bad it was. I've
    been around long enough that I've worked with just about every OS
    there's ever been, and I can say without hesitation that ME is
    the worst thing ever released - and that includes homegrown stuff
    written by scientists.

    It crashed and hung so much that I got in the habit of just
    rebooting before and after every single thing I did just to be on
    the safe side. Even that didn't always work.

    And is was SLOW. Even though it was a very fast computer, it
    would just sit there and....think, with the drive going crunch, crunch
    crunch.

    The last straw came when I needed to upgrade Windows
    Media Player. It got half way through the upgrade and crashed.
    Neither version worked. I couldn't reinstall it because it thought it
    was already installed, and I couldn't uninstall it because - well, have
    *you* ever tried to uninstall Media Player?

    Anyway, as a last resort, I upgraded to XP. Bingo, everything worked
    perfectly. It was like getting a new computer. We're still using it.

    -jc

    > "cirejcon" wrote in message
    > news:1129142111.734776.302240@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > >
    > > Stegozor wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer
    > >> which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD,
    > >> Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much resources
    > >> compared to Windows 98? Currently I'm completing Boinc/seti@home work
    > >> units just before the deadline, and I want to continue to crunch
    > >>
    > >> A related problem I have is that I can't use a Conexant HSFi dial-up
    > >> modem (not for Internet but for faxing and other dial-up data transfer)
    > >> with Windows 98, it needs at least the Win 98SE. If I don't loose
    > >> resources, Win Me would be OK, else I'm thinking about buying another
    > >> modem.
    > >>
    > >> TIA.
    > >>

    > > Both suck, but Windows ME sucks significantly more. It's a computer
    > > virus thinly disquised as an OS. Don't even *think* about using it.
    > >
    > > Get a new modem if you have to, but DON'T under any circumstances use
    > > ME.
    > >
    > > -jc
    > >

    > >> PS:Crosspost to news:microsoft.public.windowsme.general , follow-up to
    > >> (fu2) news:comp.os.ms-windows.misc .

  6. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    Todd H. wrote:

    > > I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer

    > Oy. Talk about a choice between two evils. ME is an unstable piece
    > of flaming dung, and 98 (non-SE) doesn't work with a lot of stuff that
    > requires SE as a prereq. ME might have a little edge there for
    > functionality sake.

    Just as a matter of curiosity, what Windows Millenium was supposed to
    have more than the previous versions? I mean, how Microsoft tried to
    sell it?

    > I'd push to try to find a 98SE to toss on there. Or I'd consider

    I finally found a CD of Windows 98 SE with its booklet and licence. I
    think the computer will end up with it.

    > tossing something relatively easy like Ubuntu Linux on there

    I just got both live and install CDs of Ubuntu last week-end during a
    Gnu/linux users meeting. The problem is that the computer is not mine,
    I don't know much about linux (I'm trying, though) and I'm unsure if
    someone who doesn't want to handle the command line prompt would feel
    at ease with Linux. Let her switch to Firefox, Thunderbird and OOo on
    Windows first.

    > (provided there's a seti@home client for linux...which there may well be).

    There is one: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

    Thanks to all for the answers.

    --
    The European ministers of Justice and the European Commission want to
    keep all telephone and internet traffic data of all 450 million

  7. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    "Stegozor" writes:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    >
    > > > I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer

    > > Oy. Talk about a choice between two evils. ME is an unstable piece
    > > of flaming dung, and 98 (non-SE) doesn't work with a lot of stuff that
    > > requires SE as a prereq. ME might have a little edge there for
    > > functionality sake.

    > Just as a matter of curiosity, what Windows Millenium was supposed to
    > have more than the previous versions? I mean, how Microsoft tried to
    > sell it?

    I don't think it sold terribly well. There wasn't a whole lot
    new/different in it. I think they just wanted something new to throw
    out there with y2k and all yadda yadda. But don't trust my word on
    it, I'd jumped the 16-bit ship long ago on a win 3.1 -> NT 4.0 -> 2000
    migration path.

    > I finally found a CD of Windows 98 SE with its booklet and licence. I
    > think the computer will end up with it.

    Good.

    > > tossing something relatively easy like Ubuntu Linux on there

    > I just got both live and install CDs of Ubuntu last week-end during a
    > Gnu/linux users meeting. The problem is that the computer is not mine,
    > I don't know much about linux (I'm trying, though) and I'm unsure if
    > someone who doesn't want to handle the command line prompt would feel
    > at ease with Linux. Let her switch to Firefox, Thunderbird and OOo on
    > Windows first.

    Actually, the Ubuntu distro is remarkably simple. If all she needs is
    mail and web and open office, Ubuntu will do it without her ever
    seeing the command line. I have Hoary Hedgehog running on my laptop
    and it's a treat.

    Might be an interesting switch experiment. :-)

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  8. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    Though I am avoiding many issue you raise, I like ME better because it
    reboots so much quicker than 98.

    John Stewart

    "Stegozor" wrote in message
    news:1129014790.414113.316460@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer
    > which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD,
    > Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much resources
    > compared to Windows 98? Currently I'm completing Boinc/seti@home work
    > units just before the deadline, and I want to continue to crunch
    >
    > A related problem I have is that I can't use a Conexant HSFi dial-up
    > modem (not for Internet but for faxing and other dial-up data transfer)
    > with Windows 98, it needs at least the Win 98SE. If I don't loose
    > resources, Win Me would be OK, else I'm thinking about buying another
    > modem.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > PS:Crosspost to news:microsoft.public.windowsme.general , follow-up to
    > (fu2) news:comp.os.ms-windows.misc .

  9. Re: Windows 98 or Me?

    John J. Stewart wrote:
    > Though I am avoiding many issue you raise, I like ME better because it
    > reboots so much quicker than 98.

    Which is good, considering how often you have to do it.

    -jc

    > John Stewart
    >
    > "Stegozor" wrote in message
    > news:1129014790.414113.316460@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I can install either Windows 98 -not SE- or Windows Me on a computer
    > > which specs are Intel Celeron 333 Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD,
    > > Internet access via cable. Would Win Me eat up too much resources
    > > compared to Windows 98? Currently I'm completing Boinc/seti@home work
    > > units just before the deadline, and I want to continue to crunch
    > >
    > > A related problem I have is that I can't use a Conexant HSFi dial-up
    > > modem (not for Internet but for faxing and other dial-up data transfer)
    > > with Windows 98, it needs at least the Win 98SE. If I don't loose
    > > resources, Win Me would be OK, else I'm thinking about buying another
    > > modem.
    > >
    > > TIA.
    > >
    > > PS:Crosspost to news:microsoft.public.windowsme.general , follow-up to
    > > (fu2) news:comp.os.ms-windows.misc .

+ Reply to Thread