How to create a RAM disk? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to create a RAM disk? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I have 1 GB of RAM. I would like to create a RAM disk of size 512 MB in it. Can someone point to some free tools which can do it? (I am not interested in buying stuff) Thanks ...

  1. How to create a RAM disk?

    Hi,

    I have 1 GB of RAM. I would like to create a RAM disk of size 512 MB in
    it.
    Can someone point to some free tools which can do it?

    (I am not interested in buying stuff)

    Thanks in advance,

    Nikhil

  2. Re: How to create a RAM disk?

    "Nikhil" writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 1 GB of RAM. I would like to create a RAM disk of size 512 MB in
    > it.

    I'm curious...why do you want to do this, and what do you plan to put
    in your ram disk?

    There are legit uses for RAM disks, but typically they're not part of
    the normal workday unless you work with things like Live CD
    distributions all day.

    If you are intent on this, it would be helpful to indicate what
    operating system you're using.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: How to create a RAM disk?

    With a DOS based OS (Win9x) you can use the venerable XMSdsk. I have not been able to find a free ramdisk for a NT based OS for larger than 32 MB.

    Nikhil wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 1 GB of RAM. I would like to create a RAM disk of size 512 MB in
    > it.
    > Can someone point to some free tools which can do it?
    >
    > (I am not interested in buying stuff)

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Re: How to create a RAM disk?

    I use Win XP and usually I do large simulations in which there is
    freqeuent read/write
    to files that comsumes most of the time. So I want to create a RAM Disk
    and do the
    stuff there.

    Thanks,

  5. Re: How to create a RAM disk?

    On 15 Oct 2005 08:57:38 -0700, "Nikhil" wrote:

    >I use Win XP and usually I do large simulations in which there is
    >freqeuent read/write
    >to files that comsumes most of the time. So I want to create a RAM Disk
    >and do the
    >stuff there.

    Search for Cenatek RamDisk ..
    --
    Regards , SPAJKY ®
    mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

  6. Re: How to create a RAM disk?

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:56:37 +0200, Spajky wrote:

    >On 15 Oct 2005 08:57:38 -0700, "Nikhil" wrote:

    >>I use Win XP and usually I do large simulations in which there is
    >>freqeuent read/write
    >>to files that comsumes most of the time. So I want to create a RAM Disk
    >>and do the
    >>stuff there.

    >Search for Cenatek RamDisk ..

    "The registered version of [Cenatec] RAMDisk XP/2000 costs $49."

    The original poster wanted free :-)

    (admittedly, I looked and couldn't find a free XP Ramdisk that did
    more than 64MB)

  7. Re: How to create a RAM disk?

    Can you give me link the software that can atleast create a disk of
    size 64MB?

    Thanks!

  8. Re: How to create a RAM disk?

    Commercial utility: http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm
    Free Utilities: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/bergert...lp/diskram.htm
    http://www.tweakxp.com/article37232.aspx

    On 20 Oct 2005 07:28:37 -0700, "Nikhil" wrote:

    -|Can you give me link the software that can atleast create a disk of
    -|size 64MB?
    -|
    -|Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread