Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value - Microsoft Windows ; Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder option? I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1 (at least I thought it always worked)! For example, in SP1 (and every ...

  1. Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

    Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder
    option?

    I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1 (at
    least I thought it always worked)!

    For example, in SP1 (and every prior release of Microsoft Windows up to
    Windows 95), when I wanted to open my work-in-progress photograph
    folder, I would just type "pic" at the Start->Run command line and up
    would pop the desired folder which is kept at: c:\data\personal\wip\pic

    All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    To add a new key:
    "pic.exe"
    With a default value of:
    "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"

    This worked fine in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and (I
    thought), in Windows XP SP1 (IIRC) ... but when I do this simple
    registry change in Windows XP SP2, I get the error:

    "Windows cannot find 'pic'.
    Maker sure you typed the name correctly, and try again.
    To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

    Does anyone know how set the WinXP SP2 registry to open a folder at the
    Start->Run command line simply by typing the name of the folder?

  2. Re: Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

    In news:1125039127.528538.226760@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com,
    Shaft Drive had this to say:

    > Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder
    > option?
    >
    > I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1
    > (at least I thought it always worked)!
    >
    > For example, in SP1 (and every prior release of Microsoft Windows up
    > to Windows 95), when I wanted to open my work-in-progress photograph
    > folder, I would just type "pic" at the Start->Run command line and up
    > would pop the desired folder which is kept at:
    > c:\data\personal\wip\pic
    >
    > All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    > "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    > To add a new key:
    > "pic.exe"
    > With a default value of:
    > "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"
    >
    > This worked fine in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and (I
    > thought), in Windows XP SP1 (IIRC) ... but when I do this simple
    > registry change in Windows XP SP2, I get the error:
    >
    > "Windows cannot find 'pic'.
    > Maker sure you typed the name correctly, and try again.
    > To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."
    >
    > Does anyone know how set the WinXP SP2 registry to open a folder at
    > the Start->Run command line simply by typing the name of the folder?

    Here's a work-around for you. I just take a shortcut to the item (call it
    app.exe) and drag it into the C:\Windows\ directory, rename it to app (no
    exe) and then I just type "app" without the quotes into the run command box.
    It's dirty and not so very professional but it works well enough.

    Galen
    --

    "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
    its solution is its own reward."

    Sherlock Holmes

  3. Re: Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

    Galen, , the acrid, sticking out grocery replenishment
    assistant, and mattress maker, honked:

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You ****ing goose.

    --
    Doug Grant wrote:
    "If you want to respond to my posts... then email me and
    I will either allow you to do so or not."

  4. Re: Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

    Shaft Drive, , the priggish, screechy pubic
    louse, and dealer in salted cow manure, exclaimed:

    > Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder
    > option?
    >
    > I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1
    > (at least I thought it always worked)!
    >
    > For example, in SP1 (and every prior release of Microsoft Windows up
    > to Windows 95), when I wanted to open my work-in-progress photograph
    > folder, I would just type "pic" at the Start->Run command line and up
    > would pop the desired folder which is kept at:
    > c:\data\personal\wip\pic
    >
    > All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    > "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    > To add a new key:
    > "pic.exe"
    > With a default value of:
    > "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"

    You ****ing daft tit.

    The default value contains the full path to the executable, with the .exe
    extension. You also need a "Path" key. If your executable is called pic.exe
    and it's in c:\data\personal\wip, then put "c:\data\personal\wip" in the
    Path key.

    **** me dead, a quick look at the registry would have told you that, you
    ****ing dense pillock.

    --
    Doug Grant wrote:
    "If you want to respond to my posts... then email me and
    I will either allow you to do so or not."

  5. Re: Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

    "Shaft Drive" wrote:

    |>Did Windows XP SP2 break the very useful Registry App Paths folder
    |>option?
    |>
    |>I swear the Registry App Path used to work for folders in WinXP SP1 (at
    |>least I thought it always worked)!
    |>
    |>For example, in SP1 (and every prior release of Microsoft Windows up to
    |>Windows 95), when I wanted to open my work-in-progress photograph
    |>folder, I would just type "pic" at the Start->Run command line and up
    |>would pop the desired folder which is kept at: c:\data\personal\wip\pic
    |>
    |>All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    |> "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    |>To add a new key:
    |> "pic.exe"
    |>With a default value of:
    |> "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"
    |>
    |>This worked fine in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and (I
    |>thought), in Windows XP SP1 (IIRC) ... but when I do this simple
    |>registry change in Windows XP SP2, I get the error:
    |>
    |>"Windows cannot find 'pic'.
    |>Maker sure you typed the name correctly, and try again.
    |>To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."
    |>
    |>Does anyone know how set the WinXP SP2 registry to open a folder at the
    |>Start->Run command line simply by typing the name of the folder?

    A work around...

    Right click on "My Computer"
    Properties
    Environment Variables
    ADD a new variable
    Name PIC
    Variable:

    In the run command you would enter: %pic%

    Seeing as PIC is now a variable, you can also use it in a DOS/CMD
    window as a shortcut.

    --

    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/

  6. Re: Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:32:32 +1000, Alan Edwards wrote:
    > What happens if you give it a chance and make the default value
    > "c:\data\personal\wip\pic.exe"

    That's a wholly incorrect response if I may say so myself.
    The guy wants to open up a FOLDER (not run an executable)!

    In the old days, one could open the folder defined by the key:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Photographs
    simply by typing at the Start Run command line:
    pic
    if the default for the key below were set to that directory:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths =
    pic.exe
    Where the default value for the pic.exe key is set to:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Photographs"

    I think it's a bug in the Windows XP registry that this no longer works.
    Someone should report it to Microsoft so that they may fix this bug.

    Note: It's a classic Microsoft stupidism that the "App Paths" key NAME must
    end with ".exe" even when you are NOT opening up an executable!

  7. Re: Directly open WinXP SP2 folders using Registry "App Paths" key default value

    Kadaitcha Man wrote:
    > > All I did in the past to set this up was to edit the key:
    > > "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"
    > > To add a new key:
    > > "pic.exe"
    > > With a default value of the folder:
    > > "c:\data\personal\wip\pic"

    > The default value contains the full path to the executable, with the .exe
    > extension. You also need a "Path" key. If your executable is called pic.exe
    > and it's in c:\data\personal\wip, then put "c:\data\personal\wip" in the
    > Path key.

    Dear Kadaitcha Man,

    The "Apps Path" key may contain the full path to an executable, or to a
    FILE, or to a FOLDER, or to a host of other items, not just to an
    executable.

    I removed your lunacy after noting you are the same person who recently
    posted:
    "Who is the awkward cunt from hungary? ..."
    "KOOK ALERT! [Was ... Everyone report the birk abusing this ... "
    "Smutty emails everyday now ..."
    "EXCUSE ME!!! am i the only person that's sick ..."
    "Hey MeatWad ..."
    etc.
    and who frequently posts to:
    alt.hackers.malicious
    alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
    alt.usenet.kooks
    alt.2600
    etc.

    Not only are you wrong about the App Paths key only pointing to an
    executable, but your posts give you away as someone not worth
    conversing with.

+ Reply to Thread