W98 now needs a CD in drive - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on W98 now needs a CD in drive - Microsoft Windows ; After an install, I now get a fatal exception error when W98 is starting. I have found that if I leave a cd in the drive, it boots OK. But if I remove the CD it blue screens again. And ...

  1. W98 now needs a CD in drive

    After an install, I now get a fatal exception error when W98 is starting.
    I have found that if I leave a cd in the drive, it boots OK. But if I
    remove the CD it blue screens again. And it asks for the that CD rto be
    replaced. This is a niusance if I need to change cd's in a session!

    Can anyone suggest where I should look to restore it to normal?

    I have uninstalled the offending software.

    Thanks,

    Adrian.

  2. Re: W98 now needs a CD in drive

    Start the computer in "Command Prompt", type
    "scanreg /restore" and restore a registry that predates
    the problem.

    Ben

    "Adrian" wrote in message newsp.svzmpv1im1wqna@accounts...
    > After an install, I now get a fatal exception error when W98 is starting.
    > I have found that if I leave a cd in the drive, it boots OK. But if I
    > remove the CD it blue screens again. And it asks for the that CD rto be
    > replaced. This is a niusance if I need to change cd's in a session!
    >
    > Can anyone suggest where I should look to restore it to normal?
    >
    > I have uninstalled the offending software.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Adrian.

+ Reply to Thread