Windows XP box shares unavailable even though box is up - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows XP box shares unavailable even though box is up - Microsoft Windows ; I have 6 XP boxes that are all on my network and pingable however I cannot view them in Server Manager or connect to the shares on the boxes. They all lost this ability at the same time. Does anyone ...

  1. Windows XP box shares unavailable even though box is up

    I have 6 XP boxes that are all on my network and pingable however I
    cannot view them in Server Manager or connect to the shares on the
    boxes.

    They all lost this ability at the same time. Does anyone know what
    might have caused this?

  2. Re: Windows XP box shares unavailable even though box is up

    Dont know if it will work for this case - but when this happened to me I
    unshared the shares and then re-shared them - if you will excuse the bad english!!
    I still have problems seeing the laptop shares I have from my PC - but NOT
    the other way round - and usually always get - 'Access Denied - See the Sys
    Admin' when I try to access file shares from the PC on the laptop..

    Need to fix this - though I manage by copying the files round the other way -
    all this seems still like a bit of a black art!!!

  3. Re: Windows XP box shares unavailable even though box is up

    Are you only trying to connect through on of them? Make sure the
    following services are running:
    Computer Browser
    Server

+ Reply to Thread