XP Crashes After Inserting CD - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP Crashes After Inserting CD - Microsoft Windows ; I purchased a new computer a few months ago...and I have started to notice more and more frequently..that after I insert a CD into an optical drive on my computer, XP immediatly locks up....no keyboad..no mouse. I find that I ...

  1. XP Crashes After Inserting CD

    I purchased a new computer a few months ago...and I have started to
    notice more and more frequently..that after I insert a CD into an
    optical drive on my computer, XP immediatly locks up....no keyboad..no
    mouse. I find that I have to do a series of restarts in order for XP to
    read the CD without locking up. This is happening on both my DVD
    Burner and my CD Rom drive so I dont think the problem is hardware
    related.

    If anyone has any soloutions or advice, I would appreciate it.

  2. Re: XP Crashes After Inserting CD

    Bosco836 wrote:
    > I purchased a new computer a few months ago...and I have started to
    > notice more and more frequently..that after I insert a CD into an
    > optical drive on my computer, XP immediatly locks up....no keyboad..no
    > mouse. I find that I have to do a series of restarts in order for XP
    > to read the CD without locking up. This is happening on both my DVD
    > Burner and my CD Rom drive so I dont think the problem is hardware
    > related.
    >
    > If anyone has any soloutions or advice, I would appreciate it.

    Are you sure you're waiting long enough, some are very slow to get
    started and even slower if they are loading some fancy interface
    afterwards. They are also susceptible to scratched or dirty CDs and
    dirty lenses in the reader, though that shouldn't be a problem for you.
    Put in a CD and hold down the shift key as you do so and it it gets up
    speed to whirr normally. The light should go out eventually and no
    programme run automatically. Then go via *Explorer* (not 'my computer')
    and click on the CD drive to read the contents of the CD. If it shows up
    pretty quickly then you probably have a software problem somewhere, if
    it doesn't then it's hardware probably, bad CD, dirty lens etc.

  3. Re: XP Crashes After Inserting CD

    John of Aix wrote:

    > Are you sure you're waiting long enough, some are very slow to get
    > started and even slower if they are loading some fancy interface
    > afterwards. They are also susceptible to scratched or dirty CDs and
    > dirty lenses in the reader, though that shouldn't be a problem for you.
    > Put in a CD and hold down the shift key as you do so and it it gets up
    > speed to whirr normally. The light should go out eventually and no
    > programme run automatically. Then go via *Explorer* (not 'my computer')
    > and click on the CD drive to read the contents of the CD. If it shows up
    > pretty quickly then you probably have a software problem somewhere, if
    > it doesn't then it's hardware probably, bad CD, dirty lens etc.

    Thanks for the advice - but its not working. As soon as the CD is
    inserted...it freezes so I cannot press shift. I am sure I am waiting
    long enough...the computer after locking up...will stay locked up until
    I restart. I have tried different CD's (and DVD's ) - all of them seem
    to do that. As well, I have tried different optical drives. Some days
    will be fine...and there are other days..that no matter how many times
    I restart..I still cant access my CD ROM without the computer locking up

  4. Re: XP Crashes After Inserting CD

    Bosco836 wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you sure you're waiting long enough, some are very slow to get
    >> started and even slower if they are loading some fancy interface
    >> afterwards. They are also susceptible to scratched or dirty CDs and
    >> dirty lenses in the reader, though that shouldn't be a problem for
    >> you. Put in a CD and hold down the shift key as you do so and it it
    >> gets up speed to whirr normally. The light should go out eventually
    >> and no programme run automatically. Then go via *Explorer* (not 'my
    >> computer') and click on the CD drive to read the contents of the CD.
    >> If it shows up pretty quickly then you probably have a software
    >> problem somewhere, if it doesn't then it's hardware probably, bad
    >> CD, dirty lens etc.

    > Thanks for the advice - but its not working. As soon as the CD is
    > inserted...it freezes so I cannot press shift. I am sure I am waiting
    > long enough...the computer after locking up...will stay locked up
    > until I restart. I have tried different CD's (and DVD's ) - all of
    > them seem to do that. As well, I have tried different optical drives.
    > Some days will be fine...and there are other days..that no matter how
    > many times I restart..I still cant access my CD ROM without the
    > computer locking up

    OK.
    I was going to tell you to untick 'Use DMA' for the CD readers and tell
    you where to do it but I'm damned if I can find where this option hides
    (I'm a bit slow this morning). If you find it, untick it and reboot,
    that
    may well help.

  5. Re: XP Crashes After Inserting CD

    > OK.
    > I was going to tell you to untick 'Use DMA' for the CD readers and tell
    > you where to do it but I'm damned if I can find where this option hides
    > (I'm a bit slow this morning). If you find it, untick it and reboot,
    > that may well help.

    I haven't checked this but that type of setting might be in the bios
    settings. Of course, it would be different for each motherboard, so
    some exploring might be in order.

  6. Re: XP Crashes After Inserting CD

    DMA settings might be in the bios. probably under hardware options...
    Of course, every motherboard is different but there should be something
    in there.

  7. Re: XP Crashes After Inserting CD

    kidd_ten@hotmail.com wrote:
    > DMA settings might be in the bios. probably under hardware options...
    > Of course, every motherboard is different but there should be
    > something in there.

    No it isn't a mothervoard thing though their might be stuff on DMA
    there, it ios something in Windows. It used to be in the control
    panel/system/devicemanager/(cdroms) (I think) in 98 but I'm blowed if I
    can find it in XP.

    What you could try however is to delete both CD entries in
    cp/system/hardware/device manager. Then reboot, Windows wil refind them
    without saying anything and perhaps they'll work.

+ Reply to Thread