Disk partition question.. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Disk partition question.. - Microsoft Windows ; I have an old WIN2K installation on home computer installed on 3Gb partition (C:?. It has started filling up. Is there a way to move it to a larger size partition without a reinstall? Also, how can I keep this ...

  1. Disk partition question..

    I have an old WIN2K installation on home computer installed
    on 3Gb partition (C:?. It has started filling up. Is there a way
    to move it to a larger size partition without a reinstall?

    Also, how can I keep this partition from growing in size
    (environment variables etc.?). Environment variables TEMP
    and TMP already point to folder in another partition.

    Any pointers will bre appreciated.

    -ishwar

  2. Re: Disk partition question..

    rattan@cps.cmich.edu wrote:
    > I have an old WIN2K installation on home computer installed
    > on 3Gb partition (C:?. It has started filling up. Is there a way
    > to move it to a larger size partition without a reinstall?

    Yes you want a cloning programme or a thing like Partition Magic. The
    first sort will copy the partition exactly as it is and replace it as it
    is, the second will allow you to resize an existing partition without
    losing data. All this is theoretical of course and while many such
    programmes have proved themselves, it is wise to be careful, who wan'ts
    to lose their data becauser they clicked on the wrong button?

    > Also, how can I keep this partition from growing in size
    > (environment variables etc.?). Environment variables TEMP
    > and TMP already point to folder in another partition.
    >
    > Any pointers will bre appreciated.

    Well there is a lot of stuff that you can get rid of for a start, do you
    really need a help file for Notepad? Paint. Do you need Paint?

    It is a simple enough thing to put the swap file onto another disk via
    control panel/system/advanced-performance settings/advanced/change
    (ouf!). In XP that is. Similar in 98 but easier to get to via control
    panel/system/performance IIRC. This saves quite a whack of space
    already. With things like TweakUI and TweakXP (or by hand if you know
    how) it is also possible to change the place of the by-default folders
    such as My Documents, and of course you aren't obliged (usually) to
    install programmes in Program Files. It suffices to change the address
    at install time, sometime in passing via the option Customise or
    Personalise or similar. I try to keep all my progs on a separate
    partition. As this doesn't change very often it means it doesn't get
    defragmented and my C disk, dedicated to Win and its stuff in the main,
    is thus less big an so quicker top defragment. I like to have a third
    partition for my personal data, pics, docs, home grown progs etc.

  3. Re: Disk partition question..

    I have already done swapfile part too!

    BTW is it possible to move C:\WINNT to another and upate
    the info in system->advanced->startup & recovery? It is a
    little strange one. Also, any pointers to how to move default
    folders? (Does Win2K have concept of symbolic link of UNIX?)

    -ishwar

  4. Re: Disk partition question..

    rattan@cps.cmich.edu writes:

    >(Does Win2K have concept of symbolic link of UNIX?)

    It's not a 1-to-1 mapping, but win2k does have "shortcuts" that
    behave similarly in some respects.

    I don't know how you can create shortcuts via commandline though. In
    windows explorer, it's RMB>New>shortcut

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Disk partition question..

    Search the registry for values CommonFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir. Change the data to the location you want.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  6. Re: Disk partition question..

    rattan@cps.cmich.edu wrote:
    > I have already done swapfile part too!
    >
    > BTW is it possible to move C:\WINNT to another and upate
    > the info in system->advanced->startup & recovery? It is a
    > little strange one.

    Can't help you there.

    > Also, any pointers to how to move default
    > folders?

    This is it in the registry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders

    And HKLM\the same

    I think you just need to change the address for the folders you
    want to move. I don't know whether you have to move the folders as well
    or if new one's are created automatically on reboot. Experiment ;-)

    I'd put a copy of My Documents somewhere safe though as
    it seems to be a funny one.

  7. Re: Disk partition question..

    I tried to copy C:/Documents and Settigs to another partition
    (by dragging the icon), it complains about shared violation
    and aborts. So, waht is the proper way to copy it?

    -ishwar

  8. Re: Disk partition question..

    rattan@cps.cmich.edu wrote:
    > I tried to copy C:/Documents and Settigs to another partition
    > (by dragging the icon), it complains about shared violation
    > and aborts. So, waht is the proper way to copy it?

    Perhaps create a folder of that name on the new partition and copy the
    contents of the original rather than the folder itself.

  9. Re: Disk partition question..

    Question 1: Yes, get Acronis True Image 8: http://www.acronis.com/
    and use the Disk Clone option. Very easy to use this package.

    Question 2: Besides usual security stuff (E.G.,updating
    antivirus and antispyware definition files),
    Once a Week run Disk Cleanup, Scandisk, and use EasyCleaner:
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    (do Unnecessary Files and Registry Clean)
    Run Disk Defragmenter once a month.

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On 14 Aug 2005 12:03:09 -0700, rattan@cps.cmich.edu wrote:

    -|I have an old WIN2K installation on home computer installed
    -|on 3Gb partition (C:?. It has started filling up. Is there a way
    -|to move it to a larger size partition without a reinstall?
    -|
    -|Also, how can I keep this partition from growing in size
    -|(environment variables etc.?). Environment variables TEMP
    -|and TMP already point to folder in another partition.
    -|
    -|Any pointers will bre appreciated.
    -|
    -|-ishwar