Reloading XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Reloading XP - Microsoft Windows ; I want to clear the C Drive and reload Windows XP. I cannot get Format C: to execute. Can anyone help? Thanks. Norm...

  1. Reloading XP

    I want to clear the C Drive and reload Windows XP. I cannot get Format C:
    to execute. Can anyone help? Thanks.

    Norm

  2. Re: Reloading XP

    Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:28:18 GMT, Norm & Debbie schrob:

    > I want to clear the C Drive and reload Windows XP. I cannot get Format C:
    > to execute. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    >
    > Norm

    Are you trying to perform format c: while in windows? Because this is not
    possible.
    Insert your XP CD and reboot. If you computer can boot from CD, there
    should be a prompt like "Press any key to boot from CD." If not, you might
    have to change your boot order in the BIOS settings.

    Then go through the setup process: select what kind of installation (in
    your case a new installation). Setup detects an already installed Windows
    on C and asks for your confirmation. Also, you can state on which partition
    (that is: logical drive like c:, d: and so on) you want to install. Select
    C:. In addition to that you get the option to format the destination drive.
    This is where you can erase all data from c (what you wanted to do in the
    first place).

    Finally, you get a new and fresh installation on your drive.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  3. Re: Reloading XP

    Hi Frank. I go to the C prompt in DOS and cannot execute the format C:.
    During the boot-up process I've watched for the BIOS prompt and do not see
    it. As I remember, it is F4, correct?

    Norm

    "Frank Steinmetzger" wrote in message
    newsu8hkvn4wf8g.1mamdrbb82ema.dlg@40tude.net...
    Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:28:18 GMT, Norm & Debbie schrob:

    > I want to clear the C Drive and reload Windows XP. I cannot get Format C:
    > to execute. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    >
    > Norm

    Are you trying to perform format c: while in windows? Because this is not
    possible.
    Insert your XP CD and reboot. If you computer can boot from CD, there
    should be a prompt like "Press any key to boot from CD." If not, you might
    have to change your boot order in the BIOS settings.

    Then go through the setup process: select what kind of installation (in
    your case a new installation). Setup detects an already installed Windows
    on C and asks for your confirmation. Also, you can state on which partition
    (that is: logical drive like c:, d: and so on) you want to install. Select
    C:. In addition to that you get the option to format the destination drive.
    This is where you can erase all data from c (what you wanted to do in the
    first place).

    Finally, you get a new and fresh installation on your drive.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

  4. Re: Reloading XP

    You can insert the install cd, and format the C: as instructions. Hope
    this will be helpful.

  5. Re: Reloading XP

    Norm & Debbie wrote:
    > Hi Frank. I go to the C prompt in DOS and cannot execute the format
    > C:. During the boot-up process I've watched for the BIOS prompt and
    > do not see it. As I remember, it is F4, correct?

    No, usually it is DEL, sometimes F1, F2 or F10 on certain brand name
    machines.

  6. Re: Reloading XP

    Hii.. U can do a few things to format ur C:
    If u have a fat partition u can use a bootable floppy/ Windows 98 boot
    CD.
    U can run FDISK or Format from DOS MODE not DOS prompt.
    A bootable flopply will take u to dos mode. Make sure u choose to start
    the computer with cd-rom support if u wanna use the Windows 98 CD.
    FDISK can be run from the floppy itself..

    U can also use a windows XP CD or Windows 2000 Bootable CD.

    You have to put ur cdrom drive first in priority in the boot sequence.
    i.e. the floppy may be first.. but the cdrom must be before hdd-0

    Hope it helps..

    Norm & Debbie wrote:
    > I want to clear the C Drive and reload Windows XP. I cannot get Format C:
    > to execute. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    >
    > Norm

  7. Re: Reloading XP

    13 Aug 2005 11:12:32 -0700, SaM schrob:

    > Hii.. U can do a few things to format ur C:
    > If u have a fat partition u can use a bootable floppy/ Windows 98 boot
    > CD.
    > U can run FDISK or Format from DOS MODE not DOS prompt.
    > A bootable flopply will take u to dos mode. Make sure u choose to start
    > the computer with cd-rom support if u wanna use the Windows 98 CD.
    > FDISK can be run from the floppy itself..

    I'm not sure whether Win98 Bootdisk can format NTFS, I won't count on it.

    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

+ Reply to Thread