"My Search": How to get rid of it in IE? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE? - Microsoft Windows ; Somebody else has been using my 'puter and a little nasty called "My Search" has attached itself to IE's tool bar. Coincidentally, IE's been abending almost every time I close it. Would like to get rid of "My Search" just ...

  1. "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    Somebody else has been using my 'puter and a little nasty called "My Search" has
    attached itself to IE's tool bar.

    Coincidentally, IE's been abending almost every time I close it.

    Would like to get rid of "My Search" just to see if the abends cease, but can't
    find the option set that facilitates this.

    Anybody?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  2. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    Go to Intermute.com, and download CW Shredder. Should do the trick.

  3. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    Per babyhuey37:
    >Go to Intermute.com, and download CW Shredder. Should do the trick.

    Ran CW Shredder and it didn't find anything.

    Looks like CoolWebSearch <> MyWebSearch.

    Any other possibilities?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    > Somebody else has been using my 'puter and a little nasty called "My Search" has
    > attached itself to IE's tool bar.
    > Would like to get rid of "My Search" just to see if the abends cease, but can't
    > find the option set that facilitates this.

    Try some of the links on my site - its not brilliant, but I try and
    update it with most of the tricks and apps i`ve found...

    http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

    I`d probably suggest the "recommended order" list first, and if the
    likes of Spybot S&D and Sysclean find nothing, move on to CWShredder and
    HijackThis!

    Were you using the latest version of CWShredder btw ? (Intermute
    Software took over development around about June, and it was quickly
    snapped up by Trend)

  5. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    Per Colin Wilson:
    >Try some of the links on my site - its not brilliant, but I try and
    >update it with most of the tricks and apps i`ve found...
    >
    >http://www.coreutilities.co.uk
    >
    >I`d probably suggest the "recommended order" list first, and if the
    >likes of Spybot S&D and Sysclean find nothing, move on to CWShredder and
    >HijackThis!
    >
    >Were you using the latest version of CWShredder btw ? (Intermute
    >Software took over development around about June, and it was quickly
    >snapped up by Trend)

    Yes, I DL'd it from the Trend Micro site.

    I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an MS feature that got added during a
    system update. It does look at least *slightly* legit, since it covers Yahoo,
    Google, LookSmart, and Ask Jeeves.

    Coincident with deleting every optional toolbar feature I could find, the IE
    abends have gone away.... but I'd still like to get rid of MyWebSearch..
    --
    PeteCresswell

  6. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    > Coincident with deleting every optional toolbar feature I could find, the IE
    > abends have gone away.... but I'd still like to get rid of MyWebSearch..

    Try HijackThis! then, and see what IE kludges you have installed...

    You can paste the logfile from HijackThis! into a web form at
    http://www.hijackthis.de

    ....it can help you figure out what`s crap and what`s normal.

    Take the results with a pinch of salt though, as it doesn`t know about
    every program that might be called on startup.

  7. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    At work - I see this when some users click something.

    We've always been successful in going into "ADD-REMOVE Programs" and
    uninstalling MySearch - the same way we remove Google tool bar and many
    other tool bar add-ons that have been installed.

    YMMV - however, we've never had it not work.

    "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
    > Somebody else has been using my 'puter and a little nasty called "My

    Search" has
    > attached itself to IE's tool bar.
    >
    > Coincidentally, IE's been abending almost every time I close it.
    >
    > Would like to get rid of "My Search" just to see if the abends cease, but

    can't
    > find the option set that facilitates this.
    >
    > Anybody?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

  8. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    Per Cleveland Tech:
    >At work - I see this when some users click something.
    >
    >We've always been successful in going into "ADD-REMOVE Programs" and
    >uninstalling MySearch - the same way we remove Google tool bar and many
    >other tool bar add-ons that have been installed.

    Thanks for stating the obvious. I never thought of it as a possible
    "application".

    Can't find anything in Add/Remove, however. Do you recall what name it shows
    up as.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  9. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Cleveland Tech:
    >> At work - I see this when some users click something.
    >>
    >> We've always been successful in going into "ADD-REMOVE Programs" and
    >> uninstalling MySearch - the same way we remove Google tool bar and
    >> many other tool bar add-ons that have been installed.

    > Thanks for stating the obvious. I never thought of it as a possible
    > "application".
    >
    > Can't find anything in Add/Remove, however. Do you recall what
    > name it shows up as.

    Otherwise find its folder, delete it, run Spybot/Ad-aware and then
    Regcleaner and you should be clean from then on. It isn't Microsoft but
    third party junk.

  10. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    Per (PeteCresswell):
    >Can't find anything in Add/Remove, however. Do you recall what name it shows
    >up as.

    Oops, that was a dump post. Now I see it.

    Thanks again.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  11. Re: "My Search": How to get rid of it in IE?

    Per (PeteCresswell):
    >Oops, that was a dump post.

    "Dumb", that is....

    -----------------------------