Emergency Kit - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Emergency Kit - Microsoft Windows ; I'm thinking about an emergency kit (provided as an ISO image?) that every system administrator on Windows (all platforms?) would have, containing lots of utilities, and so on. "Release" of this CD image would be updated whenever a new product/new ...

  1. Emergency Kit

    I'm thinking about an emergency kit (provided as an ISO image?) that
    every system administrator on Windows (all platforms?) would have,
    containing lots of utilities, and so on. "Release" of this CD image
    would be updated whenever a new product/new release of the utility is
    released.
    Only free, open-source utilities.
    Has anyone already worked on it?
    Would someone collaborate?
    Rob

  2. Re: Emergency Kit

    "rgrassi" writes:
    > I'm thinking about an emergency kit (provided as an ISO image?) that
    > every system administrator on Windows (all platforms?) would have,
    > containing lots of utilities, and so on. "Release" of this CD image
    > would be updated whenever a new product/new release of the utility is
    > released.
    > Only free, open-source utilities.
    > Has anyone already worked on it?

    Have you ever used a Linux LiveCD distribution such a Knoppix,
    Kanotix, STD, or the like? That's sort of like what you're
    describing except this boots it own freestanding OS.

    But I'm not familiar offhand with something windows-centric that isn't
    bootable. Would be worthwhile.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Emergency Kit

    Hi,

    > Have you ever used a Linux LiveCD distribution such a Knoppix,
    > Kanotix, STD, or the like? That's sort of like what you're
    > describing except this boots it own freestanding OS.

    That's exactly what i have in mind, but focused on Windows "emergency"
    administration.
    Rob

  4. Re: Emergency Kit

    > I'm thinking about an emergency kit (provided as an ISO image?) that
    > every system administrator on Windows (all platforms?) would have,
    > containing lots of utilities, and so on. "Release" of this CD image
    > would be updated whenever a new product/new release of the utility is
    > released.
    > Only free, open-source utilities.
    > Has anyone already worked on it?
    > Would someone collaborate?

    Hirens Boot CD, although not quite so open-source ;-)

  5. Re: Emergency Kit

    rgrassi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    >>Have you ever used a Linux LiveCD distribution such a Knoppix,
    >>Kanotix, STD, or the like? That's sort of like what you're
    >>describing except this boots it own freestanding OS.

    > That's exactly what i have in mind, but focused on Windows "emergency"
    > administration.
    > Rob

    You can find Linux Live-CD's that can rescue Windows systems here:

    Some even include virus checkers for infected MS systems.

    -Serge

  6. Re: Emergency Kit

    Nice list! thank Serge.

  7. Re: Emergency Kit

    On 2005-08-05, rgrassi wrote:

    > I'm thinking about an emergency kit (provided as an ISO image?) that
    > every system administrator on Windows (all platforms?) would have,
    > containing lots of utilities, and so on. "Release" of this CD image
    > would be updated whenever a new product/new release of the utility is
    > released.
    > Only free, open-source utilities.
    > Has anyone already worked on it?

    System Rescue CD: www.sysresccd.org