file permissions on windows - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on file permissions on windows - Microsoft Windows ; Hi All, I want to know that can we have permissions in windows as we have in linux so that no one edits files with your permission?Since all header files in C are editible at least on my machine(Win 98)...

  1. file permissions on windows

    Hi All,
    I want to know that can we have permissions in windows as we have in
    linux so that no one edits files with your permission?Since all header
    files in C are editible at least on my machine(Win 98)

  2. Re: file permissions on windows

    "siliconwafer" writes:
    > Hi All,
    > I want to know that can we have permissions in windows as we have in
    > linux so that no one edits files with your permission?Since all header
    > files in C are editible at least on my machine(Win 98)

    Not with the FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems. And Win98 being a piece of
    dung in terms of being any sort of real multi user OS, FAT filesystems
    are all it supports.

    If you want strong file permissions, you need a better OS. The NTFS
    filesystem (as seen in NT, 2000, and XP) has ACL's the likes of which
    you'll dig. Right click to properties on a given/file or directories,
    and access the permissions tab.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: file permissions on windows

    comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
    > "siliconwafer" writes:
    >> Hi All,
    >> I want to know that can we have permissions in windows as we have in
    >> linux so that no one edits files with your permission?Since all header
    >> files in C are editible at least on my machine(Win 98)

    > Not with the FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems. And Win98 being a piece of
    > dung in terms of being any sort of real multi user OS, FAT filesystems
    > are all it supports.
    >
    > If you want strong file permissions, you need a better OS. The NTFS
    > filesystem (as seen in NT, 2000, and XP) has ACL's the likes of which
    > you'll dig. Right click to properties on a given/file or directories,
    > and access the permissions tab.

    That's odd. When I open the Properties window for a file on an NTFS
    partition (C:\foo.txt), I get General and Summary tabs; I don't see
    any ACL infomration, either there or anywhere else in the right-click
    menu. (It's definitely NTFS; I checked. The system is Windows XP Pro
    with all current updates.)

    What am I missing?

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>

  4. Re: file permissions on windows

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 21:37:53 GMT, Keith Thompson
    wrote:

    >comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
    >> "siliconwafer" writes:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I want to know that can we have permissions in windows as we have in
    >>> linux so that no one edits files with your permission?Since all header
    >>> files in C are editible at least on my machine(Win 98)

    >> Not with the FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems. And Win98 being a piece of
    >> dung in terms of being any sort of real multi user OS, FAT filesystems
    >> are all it supports.
    >>
    >> If you want strong file permissions, you need a better OS. The NTFS
    >> filesystem (as seen in NT, 2000, and XP) has ACL's the likes of which
    >> you'll dig. Right click to properties on a given/file or directories,
    >> and access the permissions tab.

    >That's odd. When I open the Properties window for a file on an NTFS
    >partition (C:\foo.txt), I get General and Summary tabs; I don't see
    >any ACL infomration, either there or anywhere else in the right-click
    >menu. (It's definitely NTFS; I checked. The system is Windows XP Pro
    >with all current updates.)
    >
    >What am I missing?

    A "Security" tab (it's usually to the left of the "Summary" tab).
    That's where you can apply various file permissions.

    The Security tab is visible only with all three of the following
    1) You have Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro (not Home)
    2) Your filesystem is NTFS
    3) You have disabled "simple file sharing"

    You have 1 and 2 already, so all you have to do is disable Simple File
    Sharing. Just open an explorer window, click TOOLS on the menu and
    choose FOLDER OPTIONS. Select the VIEW tab, and scroll all the way
    down and uncheck the SIMPLE FILE SHARING option. Close the dialog box.
    You may have to reboot (or maybe not). The Security tab should now
    show up in the File Properties dialog box

    Remember that by default a file or subfolder has the same properties
    as the parent folder, so if you make C:\FOO read-only, C:\FOO\BAR.TXT,
    C:\FOO\FOO\ and C:\FOO\FOO\BAR.TXT will all be read-only too (although
    you can change this behavior by disabling "inherit permissions to
    child" (click the "ADVANCED" button)

  5. Re: file permissions on windows

    Spalls Hurgenson writes:
    > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 21:37:53 GMT, Keith Thompson
    > wrote:

    [...]
    >>That's odd. When I open the Properties window for a file on an NTFS
    >>partition (C:\foo.txt), I get General and Summary tabs; I don't see
    >>any ACL infomration, either there or anywhere else in the right-click
    >>menu. (It's definitely NTFS; I checked. The system is Windows XP Pro
    >>with all current updates.)
    >>
    >>What am I missing?

    > A "Security" tab (it's usually to the left of the "Summary" tab).
    > That's where you can apply various file permissions.
    >
    > The Security tab is visible only with all three of the following
    > 1) You have Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro (not Home)
    > 2) Your filesystem is NTFS
    > 3) You have disabled "simple file sharing"
    >
    > You have 1 and 2 already, so all you have to do is disable Simple File
    > Sharing. Just open an explorer window, click TOOLS on the menu and
    > choose FOLDER OPTIONS. Select the VIEW tab, and scroll all the way
    > down and uncheck the SIMPLE FILE SHARING option. Close the dialog box.
    > You may have to reboot (or maybe not). The Security tab should now
    > show up in the File Properties dialog box

    That did it (no reboot required). Thanks.