restarting windows Operating system only - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on restarting windows Operating system only - Microsoft Windows ; Does anyone out there know if there is any hot keys you can use with 98SE to restart the operating system only, NOT to restart the whole computer?...

  1. restarting windows Operating system only

    Does anyone out there know if there is any hot keys you can use with
    98SE to restart the operating system only, NOT to restart the whole
    computer?

  2. Re: restarting windows Operating system only

    sunjaycap wrote:
    > Does anyone out there know if there is any hot keys you can use with
    > 98SE to restart the operating system only, NOT to restart the whole
    > computer?

    Yes, when you click on 'restart' hold down the shift key at the same
    time.

  3. Re: restarting windows Operating system only

    Hold the shift key down until the screen turns black.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Re: restarting windows Operating system only

    ..

    >> sunjaycap wrote:
    >> John of Aix wrote:

    > Mike Walsh wrote:
    >>> Does anyone out there know if there is any hot keys you can use with
    >>> 98SE to restart the operating system only, NOT to restart the whole
    >>> computer?

    >> Yes, when you click on 'restart' hold down the shift key at the same
    >> time.

    > Hold the shift key down until the screen turns black

    It isn't necessary. As long as it is down when you click on OK for
    'restart, it works.

  5. Re: restarting windows Operating system only

    The critical time that the shift key must be down depends on the installation (running applications, network, etc.) and could be anywhere from a few milliseconds to several seconds after restart is selected.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  6. Re: restarting windows Operating system only

    Mike Walsh wrote:
    > The critical time that the shift key must be down depends on the
    > installation (running applications, network, etc.) and could be
    > anywhere from a few milliseconds to several seconds after restart is
    > selected.

    Hmm can't say I've ever noticed. When clicking on the Restart (or OK)
    button the message is sent immediately irrespective of what is running
    as that is the foreground programme at that time the shift key is
    associated with it.

+ Reply to Thread