Laptop Disaster Hope Required - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Laptop Disaster Hope Required - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, I know nowt about computers and my laptop is dying a death. Its my only computer, it's old, it has Win 98 and has gradually succumb to the wrath of spyware and viruses, despite my attempts to the contrary. ...

  1. Laptop Disaster Hope Required

    Hello,

    I know nowt about computers and my laptop is dying a death.
    Its my only computer, it's old, it has Win 98 and has gradually succumb
    to the wrath of spyware and viruses, despite my attempts to the
    contrary.

    I've backed up most of it, but now I have a 1GB pendrive that I can use
    to transfer my ~3 Gigs of prized mp3's onto a friend's computer (the one
    I'm writing this on) and hence bung them on DVD or summat. Once I've
    done this I was going to wipe the whole laptop in a very thorough kind
    of way (!) and then load XP onto it so I can use it for basic things
    whilst I save up for a brand new spanking PC.

    After much tinkering (system tools, anti-spyware software etc), I can
    now actually get it to load in normal mode (whoop whoop!). Although
    (except in 'set-up') the display is vastly inset from the size of
    screen, sometimes I have to kill a program in the task list to even see
    the start menu and icons, and currently it won't let me open any
    programs or open 'My computer' (tells me I have no Internet connection
    and then when I click 'work offline' then explorer stops responding I
    can do nowt). That means I can't access my darling mp3's to bung on my
    pendrive :-(

    So, the questions is - could you lot point me into the right direction.
    What are the best 'self-help' computer disaster websites for numpties
    like myself.

    TIA,

    Roz.

  2. Re: Laptop Disaster Hope Required

    > So, the questions is - could you lot point me into the right direction.
    > What are the best 'self-help' computer disaster websites for numpties
    > like myself.

    OK, the first thing is, don`t panic.

    It simply sounds like you`re in dire need of the correct drivers to sort
    the display out, and the modem is likely to be the same.

    What *exact* make and model is the laptop ? - we might be able to give
    you a few links so your mate can download them to his, and transfer them
    to yours somehow.

    What have you got in the laptop that might make life easier - floppy /
    cd drive / network adaptor ? - if your mate has a CD burner you`re
    laughing :-)

  3. Re: Laptop Disaster Hope Required

    > I know nowt about computers and my laptop is dying a death.
    > Its my only computer, it's old, it has Win 98 and has gradually succumb
    > to the wrath of spyware and viruses, despite my attempts to the
    > contrary.

    Oh, and for future reference, i`ve got some anti-spyware hints and tips
    on my website at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

  4. Re: Laptop Disaster Hope Required

    > > What *exact* make and model is the laptop ? - we might be able to give
    > > you a few links so your mate can download them to his, and transfer them
    > > to yours somehow.

    > Hello, I'm borrowing my mate's computer and I have her PC and my laptop
    > sat on a desk side by side so I can tinker.
    > My computer is a Dell Latitude CPx H500GT with 6007 MB HDD, Pentium III
    > 500 MHz, 512 MB sytem memory, 8MB video memory, CD ROM, floppy drive, network
    > adapter via PCMCIA card, USB 1.1 socket, parallel port etc, Win 98,
    > service tag JX2UH.

    OK... there may be a couple of issues here off the top of my head - have
    you been able to use the pen drive on this particular laptop before ? -
    there were two versions of win98 - 98, and 98SE (second edition) - 98SE
    is the only one to have almost usable USB support.

    > Like I said, I want to be able to access the hard drive my pen drive in
    > normal mode.
    > Currently I cannot access 'my computer' because explorer crashes as
    > previously described.
    > I cannot access the CD drive, hard drive, pen drive etc. I can't open
    > any programs, but I can use system tools e.g. scan disk, defragmentor
    > etc.

    OK... not sure why you can use system tools, but not run any of your own
    programs - have you been able to boot into "safe mode" at all ?

    I`m wondering whether it might be possible to recover data from safe
    mode, or alternatively, if you download the following:

    Sysclean (half-way down the page)

    ....and the virus signatures to go with it...
    (the first download on the page)

    Burn them both to a CD, and if you manage to get your broken laptop into
    safe mode, create a directory on the C:\ drive and copy both files into
    it - then run Sysclean, and it`ll do a full scan of the drive for
    viruses. Safe Mode isn`t ideal for this, but it might give you a little
    breathing space and enable you to get it to boot up normally.

    Failing that, its down to desperate measures time :-} - go to
    www.knoppix.org and download one of the ISO files - use a CD burning
    program on your mates machine, and it`ll make a bootable linux CD.

    With any luck, you should be able to boot entirely from the CD, it`ll
    most probably recognise the network card (and allow you to use the pen
    drive), and you can recover some data that way.

    Look on the bright side - if this was on an NTFS formatted HD the
    chances of recovering your data would be drastically reduced !

+ Reply to Thread