Hard drive formatting problem or bad IDE controller? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Hard drive formatting problem or bad IDE controller? - Microsoft Windows ; Hello everyone, I am trying to format a small hard drive to install Windows NT on. During the NT installation, I delete the current partitions on the hard drive, create a new one, and then attempt to format it using ...

  1. Hard drive formatting problem or bad IDE controller?

    Hello everyone,

    I am trying to format a small hard drive to install Windows NT on.
    During the NT installation, I delete the current partitions on the hard
    drive, create a new one, and then attempt to format it using the NTFS
    option. At this point it either goes extremely slow up until 3% or
    stays at 0%.

    I have tried two hard drives and they both behave this way. I also have
    tried formatting with a Windows XP CD. I am starting to think that the
    IDE Controller on the motherboard might be having issues. I have tried
    a different IDE cable, doesn't change anything.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else could be causing this,
    or do you think that it is also could be the IDE contoller on the
    board?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Hard drive formatting problem or bad IDE controller?

    "XxLicherxX" writes:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I am trying to format a small hard drive to install Windows NT on.
    > During the NT installation, I delete the current partitions on the hard
    > drive, create a new one, and then attempt to format it using the NTFS
    > option. At this point it either goes extremely slow up until 3% or
    > stays at 0%.
    >
    > I have tried two hard drives and they both behave this way. I also have
    > tried formatting with a Windows XP CD. I am starting to think that the
    > IDE Controller on the motherboard might be having issues. I have tried
    > a different IDE cable, doesn't change anything.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else could be causing this,
    > or do you think that it is also could be the IDE contoller on the
    > board?

    It certainly could. I've experienced that before and it was very
    troublesome to find out.

    Any possibility you're trying to use an old IDE cable on a newer
    harddrive that really needs the 80pin (or whatever they are) cables
    that have grounds every other conductor?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Hard drive formatting problem or bad IDE controller?

    Hi Todd,

    Thanks for the response. I don't beleive the age of the IDE cable is an
    issue, because this system and the hard drives are dinosaurs in the
    computer world. Pentium II 350 MHZ processor on the board and a 2 and
    2.5 GB hard drive. I am going to try formatting the drives in another
    computer today and see what happens.

    Dave

  4. Re: Hard drive formatting problem or bad IDE controller?

    XxLicherxX wrote:
    > Hi Todd,
    >
    > Thanks for the response. I don't beleive the age of the IDE cable is an
    > issue, because this system and the hard drives are dinosaurs in the
    > computer world. Pentium II 350 MHZ processor on the board and a 2 and
    > 2.5 GB hard drive. I am going to try formatting the drives in another
    > computer today and see what happens.
    >
    > Dave

    If planning to use NTFS, let the Windows NT installation do
    the partitioning and formatting. Start the computer by using
    the 3 NT setup diskettes. The remainder is pretty straight-
    forward.

  5. Re: Hard drive formatting problem or bad IDE controller?

    Hey Guys,

    As it turns out, I had 2 bad hard drives. I took both drives and slaved
    them to my XP system and tried to format them. In both cases the format
    failed. I slaved a third one to the XP machine and was able to format
    it without a problem. I then installed this one in the NT (NT to be
    anyway) machine and the Windows NT setup formatted the drive (NTFS) and
    installed just fine.

    Thanks

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread