FTP network - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on FTP network - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all, I have a computer running a FTP server, to which I can access on my PC fine, is it possible to somehow allow access to the FTP server from the internet ? note that the FTP server has ...

  1. FTP network

    Hi all,

    I have a computer running a FTP server, to which I can access on my PC fine,
    is it possible to somehow allow access to the FTP server from the internet ?
    note that the FTP server has no internet connection only my PC has.

    cheers,
    Chris

  2. Re: FTP network

    "exxos" writes:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a computer running a FTP server, to which I can access on my PC fine,
    > is it possible to somehow allow access to the FTP server from the internet ?
    > note that the FTP server has no internet connection only my PC has.

    What make/model internet router do you have?

    FTP is tricky to deal with in port forwarding because of its use of 2
    separate ports. It's also a sniffable plain text protocol.

    Considered an ssh/scp/sftp server instead?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: FTP network

    > I have a computer running a FTP server, to which I can access on my PC fine,
    > is it possible to somehow allow access to the FTP server from the internet ?
    > note that the FTP server has no internet connection only my PC has.

    How is the FTP server set up ?

    Its possible you might be able to use something like Winroute to forward
    the ports to the other machine, but it all depends on how you connect to
    it I think...

  4. Re: FTP network

    Hi,

    The FTP server is a molished server, it has FTP and that is it, theres
    nothing which can be done on the server itself unfortunatly. The only way I
    can access it is by logging onto it with my main PC, im sure ive seen this
    kinda thing done before at my old workplace but can't remember how, I know
    they had external computers which would dial up to the internet and they
    could access the server via the mainframe, the mainframe was our connection
    to the net and was bascially transparent so that net uses could access the
    remove FTP server on our own internal network. I did have a hand in setting
    that up but I only did "our end" which was our own local intranet.... all
    rather confusing stuff!

    Chris

  5. Re: FTP network

    > The FTP server is a molished server

    Is it just for personal use, or do you want others to be able to access
    it ?

  6. Re: FTP network

    "Colin Wilson" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1d56cf1bae4c81ca98b2a3@news.individual.ne t...
    >> The FTP server is a molished server

    > Is it just for personal use, or do you want others to be able to access
    > it ?

    well the local FTP is for just my use, but I have a few ppl around the globe
    who it would help to let them have access too, I think its going to be
    complicated :-(

+ Reply to Thread