My CDROM drives keeps disappearing! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on My CDROM drives keeps disappearing! - Microsoft Windows ; I have a weird problem with windows 2000, the icons are there for my cdrom drives but when clicked on it requests for you to insert a disk even though theyīre already inserted. Itīs not a hardware problem, it does ...

  1. My CDROM drives keeps disappearing!

    I have a weird problem with windows 2000, the icons are there for my cdrom
    drives but when clicked on it requests for you to insert a disk even
    though theyīre already inserted. Itīs not a hardware problem, it does it
    with both drives and if I leave disks in when booting up, everything works
    as normal. I think itīs something to do with aspi drivers but I donīt
    know how to fix it.
    Anyone have any ideas on whatīs going on?

  2. Re: My CDROM drives keeps disappearing!

    "Andrew Walker" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.07.27.21.54.07.845593@athlonxp.frednet...
    >I have a weird problem with windows 2000, the icons are there for my cdrom
    > drives but when clicked on it requests for you to insert a disk even
    > though theyīre already inserted. Itīs not a hardware problem, it does it
    > with both drives and if I leave disks in when booting up, everything works
    > as normal. I think itīs something to do with aspi drivers but I donīt
    > know how to fix it.
    > Anyone have any ideas on whatīs going on?

    I had that a lot with win 98, mine was a bad cable, BIOS would maange to
    find it and you would get the icon in 98 but of course couldn't access it,
    it wasn't until the BIOS didn't find it one day that it clicked. Also bad
    power cables can do the same, you may want to try another PSU plug and
    cable... I've seen the BIOS pickup drives even when they haven't got a PSU
    cable plugged in!

    Chris

  3. Re: My CDROM drives keeps disappearing!

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:32:22 +0100, exxos wrote:

    > "Andrew Walker" wrote in message
    > newsan.2005.07.27.21.54.07.845593@athlonxp.frednet...
    >>I have a weird problem with windows 2000, the icons are there for my cdrom
    >> drives but when clicked on it requests for you to insert a disk even
    >> though theyīre already inserted. Itīs not a hardware problem, it does it
    >> with both drives and if I leave disks in when booting up, everything works
    >> as normal. I think itīs something to do with aspi drivers but I donīt
    >> know how to fix it.
    >> Anyone have any ideas on whatīs going on?

    > I had that a lot with win 98, mine was a bad cable, BIOS would maange to
    > find it and you would get the icon in 98 but of course couldn't access it,
    > it wasn't until the BIOS didn't find it one day that it clicked. Also bad
    > power cables can do the same, you may want to try another PSU plug and
    > cable... I've seen the BIOS pickup drives even when they haven't got a PSU
    > cable plugged in!
    >
    > Chris

    Itīs definitely software, I have a dual boot system with Linux and that
    works flawlessly. It also works flawlessly if you leave a disk in during
    boot up. Finally, and conclusively, it does it to both cdrom drives!

  4. Re: My CDROM drives keeps disappearing!

    > Itīs definitely software, I have a dual boot system with Linux and that
    > works flawlessly. It also works flawlessly if you leave a disk in during
    > boot up. Finally, and conclusively, it does it to both cdrom drives!

    Without sounding drastic, ditch 2000, its renound for problems like that. We
    upgraded our work machines to 2000 not to long ago, we gave up with it
    missing drives off, not finding USB devices etc, we just formatted and put
    98SE on the machines instead. When I looked a while ago, I think it was
    2000 & 98SE, 2000 actually had older DLL versions than 98SE had! 2000 is not
    a good OS, either put 98SE on or upgrade to XP. XP being the choice of
    course.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread