Reformatting Hard Drive - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Reformatting Hard Drive - Microsoft Windows ; I am currently running Win98se and am having a number of dll problems. It seems that the only way I'm going to get everything cleared up is to reformat the hard drive. I also have a second hard drive installed ...

  1. Reformatting Hard Drive

    I am currently running Win98se and am having a number of dll problems.
    It seems that the only way I'm going to get everything cleared up is to
    reformat the hard drive. I also have a second hard drive installed on
    this computer (which I wanted to install Win2K on but because of my
    Win98 problems I haven't been able to get a succesful install - problem
    with ntkrnlmp.dll). Anyway, I was wondering if I back up my C drive to
    my secondary hard drive is it safe to reformat C and install Win2K on
    there without loosing anything on my second drive?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Reformatting Hard Drive

    "Brad" writes:

    > I am currently running Win98se and am having a number of dll problems.
    > It seems that the only way I'm going to get everything cleared up is to
    > reformat the hard drive. I also have a second hard drive installed on
    > this computer (which I wanted to install Win2K on but because of my
    > Win98 problems I haven't been able to get a succesful install - problem
    > with ntkrnlmp.dll).

    It's not clear to me how the win2k installation issue has anything to
    do with the win98 problems? Was the win2k installer run from inside
    of win98?

    Have you ruled out a hard disk that might be on its last legs and
    causing errors? The drive manufacturer's web site may have a useful
    boot utility to diagnose this. A chkdsk or scandisk in windows might
    also shed some light as well.

    > Anyway, I was wondering if I back up my C drive to my secondary hard
    > drive is it safe to reformat C and install Win2K on there without
    > loosing anything on my second drive?

    Depends entirely on how the backup is done and how strictly "anything"
    is defined, but in general, yeah--if you copy all the data files you
    could possibly want over to the 2nd drive, wipe the first one clean
    and put fresh win2k there, you should be groovy. Probably a good
    idea anyway in the event my suspicions about the C drive going south
    end up correct.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Reformatting Hard Drive

    I was trying to install Win2K from within Win98, but my next attempt
    was going to be from DOS using the boot disks that Win2K can create for
    you. I would prefer to get rid of Win98 all together, but my wife has
    some apps running there that she does not have the original install
    files for. So wiping out the C drive will probably be my last resort.

  4. Re: Reformatting Hard Drive

    "Brad" writes:
    > I was trying to install Win2K from within Win98, but my next attempt
    > was going to be from DOS using the boot disks that Win2K can create for
    > you. I would prefer to get rid of Win98 all together, but my wife has
    > some apps running there that she does not have the original install
    > files for. So wiping out the C drive will probably be my last
    > resort.

    Gotcha.

    You may not need to create teh boot disks by the way... try booting
    off the CD rom. The win2k install cd can do that if your computer's
    bios supports booting from cd-rom which. May need to add the cdrom to
    the boot order in the bios though.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/