Aurora popups - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Aurora popups - Microsoft Windows ; Hello all. I'm using a machine running Windows XP Home (with SP2), and I keep getting popups from a program called Aurora. I know I haven't installed such a thing on my computer, and when I go to uninstall it ...

  1. Aurora popups

    Hello all. I'm using a machine running Windows XP Home (with SP2), and
    I keep getting popups from a program called Aurora. I know I haven't
    installed such a thing on my computer, and when I go to uninstall it in
    Add/Remove Programs, it takes me to a website and asks me to download
    the uninstaller. I know this'll probably give me a virus, so is there
    any way to remove Aurora outside of getting
    antivirus/popup/spam/spyware software?

  2. Re: Aurora popups

    Link the Hacker wrote:
    > Hello all. I'm using a machine running Windows XP Home (with SP2), and
    > I keep getting popups from a program called Aurora. I know I haven't
    > installed such a thing on my computer, and when I go to uninstall it
    > in Add/Remove Programs, it takes me to a website and asks me to
    > download the uninstaller. I know this'll probably give me a virus, so
    > is there any way to remove Aurora outside of getting
    > antivirus/popup/spam/spyware software?

    Well you'd be better having these types of programmes, an anti-virus,
    Spybot and Ad-Aware for th eother nasties or similar programmes.

    Empty your cookies folder first, then run msconfig and in the tab on the
    right, startup, untick this programme if it is there as well as any
    others that you don't think should be running at start up or don't need
    to have running.

  3. Re: Aurora popups

    > Hello all. I'm using a machine running Windows XP Home (with SP2), and
    > I keep getting popups from a program called Aurora. I know I haven't
    > installed such a thing on my computer, and when I go to uninstall it in
    > Add/Remove Programs, it takes me to a website and asks me to download
    > the uninstaller. I know this'll probably give me a virus, so is there
    > any way to remove Aurora outside of getting
    > antivirus/popup/spam/spyware software?

    Why don`t you want antivirus / antipopup / spyware software ? - most of
    the good ones are free !

    I`ve got some tips on removing the crud on my site:

    http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

    The "recommended order" list will get rid of the majority if not all in
    most cases, but some are b*stards to get rid of, and need something like
    HijackThis! to shift them.

+ Reply to Thread