blue screen while playing games - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on blue screen while playing games - Microsoft Windows ; Hi I am getting loads of blue screens while playing various games. There is no message on the blue screen and the pc almost powers down apart from the fans. I have an athlon64 3000, ati 9700xt, xp sp2, 512mb ...

  1. blue screen while playing games

    Hi

    I am getting loads of blue screens while playing various games.

    There is no message on the blue screen and the pc almost powers down
    apart from the fans. I have an athlon64 3000, ati 9700xt, xp sp2,
    512mb pc3200 ram, realtek ac97 sound, 600watt psu

    I have tried updating all drivers, bios etc,

    i also have reseated ram to see if thatt would help

    Please help, i am losing my mind!!!!

    Raventroth

  2. Re: blue screen while playing games

    Raventroth wrote:
    > Hi
    >

    > I am getting loads of blue screens while playing various games.
    >

    > There is no message on the blue screen

    There should be, even if unintelligible to the ordinary mortal.

    > and the pc almost powers down
    > apart from the fans. I have an athlon64 3000, ati 9700xt, xp sp2,
    > 512mb pc3200 ram, realtek ac97 sound, 600watt psu
    >

    > I have tried updating all drivers, bios etc,
    >

    > i also have reseated ram to see if thatt would help

    I suspect overheating, especially if the machine is overclocked. Either
    the graphics card or the processor. I'm supposing here that it only
    happpens with games, i.e. the PC is being pushed quite hard. If it
    happens anytime then you have an unstable system for any of a hundred
    reasons but which nevertheless can be sorted out.

  3. Re: blue screen while playing games

    > Please help, i am losing my mind!!!!

    Have you tried checking the temperature of the CPU etc - something like
    MBM5 might do the job (motherboard monitor) - its free.

  4. Re: blue screen while playing games

    the cpu temp is 35C

    Also it can happen after 1 minute of playing or sometimes it can last
    for a couple of hours????

  5. Re: blue screen while playing games

    > the cpu temp is 35C

    Seems very low compared to the systems i`ve had (which are usually 55C+
    but maybe i`m just unlucky :-} ) - barely above ambient

    > Also it can happen after 1 minute of playing or sometimes it can last
    > for a couple of hours????

    Does the fan on your gfx card still work ok ? Do you have a passive
    cooler on the northbridge ?

    Can you try stressing the machine in other ways to see if you can force
    this behaviour, like running RC5 in test mode ?

    http://www.distributed.net/rc5/

    If its any consolation, i`ve got the same problem :-}

  6. Re: blue screen while playing games

    I've been troubleshooting Desktops for about 15 years now. What I've
    found that causes most of the BSOD's is either flakey system DLL's or
    REALLY fragmaneted hard drives, bad memory modules, bad program
    installation (while Norton or another offender is runnig in the tray)
    or just a Hard Drive on its last legs. Try running a Hard Drive
    diagnostic after you defrag.
    My 2 cents,
    JohnnyB

  7. Re: blue screen while playing games

    > I've been troubleshooting Desktops for about 15 years now. What I've
    > found that causes most of the BSOD's is either flakey system DLL's or
    > REALLY fragmaneted hard drives, bad memory modules, bad program
    > installation (while Norton or another offender is runnig in the tray)
    > or just a Hard Drive on its last legs. Try running a Hard Drive
    > diagnostic after you defrag.

    In my case I think its almost certainly a heat problem - possibly the
    gfx card - i`m on a 2 week old install of win2k, and have seen the same
    random behaviour with the game i`m playing (a Half-Life mod). My memory
    checks out ok with memtest86, and the drives weren`t fragged on either
    machine. Oh, and this is on two physically different drives.

+ Reply to Thread