private Instant messaging solutions for small workgroup? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on private Instant messaging solutions for small workgroup? - Microsoft Windows ; Anyone have any experience with private instant messaging solutions for about 10 people and pricing? I'm aware of Lotus Sametime, but have no idea how it's priced, or what the server requirements are, or if it's at all suitable to ...

  1. private Instant messaging solutions for small workgroup?

    Anyone have any experience with private instant messaging solutions
    for about 10 people and pricing? I'm aware of Lotus Sametime, but
    have no idea how it's priced, or what the server requirements are, or
    if it's at all suitable to a small business. Are there other
    solutions?

    Users would be a mix of a few office based folks (where the server
    will be located) and those connected via VPN to that LAN.

    Because of the financial nature of some messaging in this virtual
    office, public network IM (AIM, YIM, etc) is not a desired option.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  2. Re: private Instant messaging solutions for small workgroup?

    > Anyone have any experience with private instant messaging solutions
    > for about 10 people and pricing? I'm aware of Lotus Sametime, but
    > have no idea how it's priced, or what the server requirements are, or
    > if it's at all suitable to a small business. Are there other
    > solutions?

    Try Hermes Messenger (free, but no longer supported)

    http://www.dgdr.com/

    I use it at home for sending messages to my wife across the LAN :-}

    (the keyboards are 3 foot away from each other !)

  3. Re: private Instant messaging solutions for small workgroup?

    > Try Hermes Messenger (free, but no longer supported)
    > http://www.dgdr.com/

    The site appears to have closed down, and the files removed (that one
    certainly isn`t successfully linked any more...)

    If you want to give it a go, drop me an email and I can send it - its
    about 618k

    ngspamtrap !at! btinternet !dot! com

    Please put the word "newsgroup" in the subject line to bypass my (very
    heavy) filters :-}

  4. Re: private Instant messaging solutions for small workgroup?

    Tood,
    At a cost of under $200 your office can purchase LAN Messanger, it is a
    relatively simple IM service that is ran over an internal network with
    absolutely no capability to connect to any external internet based
    messaging service. It can be found here; http://messenger.softros.com/

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Anyone have any experience with private instant messaging solutions
    > for about 10 people and pricing? I'm aware of Lotus Sametime, but
    > have no idea how it's priced, or what the server requirements are, or
    > if it's at all suitable to a small business. Are there other
    > solutions?
    >
    > Users would be a mix of a few office based folks (where the server
    > will be located) and those connected via VPN to that LAN.
    >
    > Because of the financial nature of some messaging in this virtual
    > office, public network IM (AIM, YIM, etc) is not a desired option.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: private Instant messaging solutions for small workgroup?

    "steve" writes:
    > Tood,
    > At a cost of under $200 your office can purchase LAN Messanger, it is a
    > relatively simple IM service that is ran over an internal network with
    > absolutely no capability to connect to any external internet based
    > messaging service. It can be found here;
    > http://messenger.softros.com/

    Thanks for the reply and hte link. I'll check it out!

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread