Standby problem on Dell Inspiron - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Standby problem on Dell Inspiron - Microsoft Windows ; Originally, when my Dell Inspiron, running XP Home, would go into standby, I could get back by pressing the power button briefly. Now, nothing works. The screen comes on, but there is nothing on it. I've tried all sorts of ...

  1. Standby problem on Dell Inspiron

    Originally, when my Dell Inspiron, running XP Home, would go into
    standby, I could get back by pressing the power button briefly. Now,
    nothing works. The screen comes on, but there is nothing on it. I've
    tried all sorts of different power management options with no effect.
    It could of course be some sort of hardware problem, but I suspect it is
    the result of an XP update or something else involving software.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Standby problem on Dell Inspiron

    Remove any Control Panel Power Icon optins that include Standby. Standby
    uses (battery) power; Hibernate does not. If you need to save your
    session, use Hibernate but not Standby.

    I doublt that Windows Updates caused this problem. Look in MS KB:
    and do a Basic Search for: Standby Power Option
    There's some info there that may help you better understand
    these options.

    My own Inspiron settings are to shut off all power options both
    in Windows (Control Panel Power Icon) and in BIOS. After doing
    this I've experienced no power option anomalies.

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:07:10 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:

    -|Originally, when my Dell Inspiron, running XP Home, would go into
    -|standby, I could get back by pressing the power button briefly. Now,
    -|nothing works. The screen comes on, but there is nothing on it. I've
    -|tried all sorts of different power management options with no effect.
    -|It could of course be some sort of hardware problem, but I suspect it is
    -|the result of an XP update or something else involving software.
    -|
    -|Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread