Unistall IE - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Unistall IE - Microsoft Windows ; Is there any way to turn off IE. I use firefox and still get pop ups from IE, I hate it and just want to get rid of it. Any advise would help, Thanks. Hooper...

  1. Unistall IE

    Is there any way to turn off IE. I use firefox and still get pop ups
    from IE, I hate it and just want to get rid of it. Any advise would
    help, Thanks.

    Hooper

  2. Re: Unistall IE

    > Is there any way to turn off IE. I use firefox and still get pop ups
    > from IE, I hate it and just want to get rid of it. Any advise would
    > help, Thanks.

    Are you sure they`re not Messenger popups crafted to look like webpages?

    Try http://www.grc.com/default.htm and scroll down a little - you`ll
    find a program called "shootthemessenger" that will disable the inbound
    popup requests (if that`s what it is causing them - it usually is)

  3. Re: Unistall IE

    On 2005-07-19, hoop1220 wrote:

    > Is there any way to turn off IE. I use firefox and still get pop ups
    > from IE, I hate it and just want to get rid of it. Any advise would
    > help, Thanks.

    You can't completely remove IE without breaking Windows. Another poster
    has suggested the pop-ups may be Windows Messaging windows; that's worth
    checking on. There is a way to disable Windows Messaging (trust me, you
    don't need it), but I don't recall the procedure and don't have a Windows
    machine handy at the moment. Perhaps someone else will chime in...

    Another thing worth checking is whether you are infected with
    adware/spyware as these will use IE to display their messages, even if
    you're using FireFox as your default browser. SpyBot, AdAware, and others
    provide spyware scanning software. Make sure you update their databases
    to the latest available and be aware that it may take several passes and
    reboots to clear it all.

    In the long run, I've found it much better to simply move on and not use
    Windows anymore. It's not that hard, really.

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  4. Re: Unistall IE

    Make Firefox the default browser.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  5. Re: Unistall IE

    "hoop1220" writes:
    > Is there any way to turn off IE. I use firefox and still get pop ups
    > from IE, I hate it and just want to get rid of it. Any advise would
    > help, Thanks.

    IE isn't your problem, based on your description. The spyware or
    malware that has been installed on your computer appears to be the
    primary problem.

    Your system needs to be cleaned of the nasties using spyware and
    malware removal tools (Ad Aware SE, plus an updated, current antivirus
    program), and windows update run to fortify it against reinfection.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Unistall IE

    to disable windows messenger, click the start menu, then 'run'
    type services.msc and hit ok.
    navigate to either messenger or windows messenger.

    double click it to get the properties. Click the stop button to stop
    the service and set it to disabled. There is indeed no reason to have
    this service running unless you are at work in a large corporation and
    your admin tells you to leave it running.

  7. Re: Unistall IE

    On 2005-07-22, nospam@meatonconsulting.com wrote:
    > to disable windows messenger, click the start menu, then 'run'
    > type services.msc and hit ok.
    > navigate to either messenger or windows messenger.
    >
    > double click it to get the properties. Click the stop button to stop
    > the service and set it to disabled. There is indeed no reason to have
    > this service running unless you are at work in a large corporation and
    > your admin tells you to leave it running.

    Most administrators in the corporate setting have long since decided that
    Windows Messaging is mor trouble than it is worth.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  8. Re: Unistall IE

    Open the application msconfig (type "msconfig.exe" at command-line).
    Go to the last tab "System Start" or so (I've only got the German
    version). Look for the line with "ctfmon.exe". Deactivate this one,
    and click on ok. Then restart your computer. There will be a message
    after loggin in. That's normal.
    The IE is not deinstalled, but it won't start by itself.

    greetz

    TH

  9. Re: Unistall IE

    Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services - Messenger - R/Click - Properties -
    Start up type - Disabled.

    "hoop1220" wrote in message
    news:1121808250.840846.262160@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Is there any way to turn off IE. I use firefox and still get pop ups
    > from IE, I hate it and just want to get rid of it. Any advise would
    > help, Thanks.
    >
    > Hooper

+ Reply to Thread