Help, software for reading/editing Windows files - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Help, software for reading/editing Windows files - Microsoft Windows ; There are some (MS-DOS) programs/(softwers) that are able to read/edit Windows files. I need this because I got My Documents blocked when I reinstaled Windows and it deleted my account (with password) but left My Documents. Now I can't enter ...

  1. Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    There are some (MS-DOS) programs/(softwers) that are able to read/edit
    Windows files.
    I need this because I got My Documents blocked when I reinstaled Windows and
    it deleted my account (with password) but left My Documents. Now I can't
    enter My Documents, because computer says Access denied (because of account
    password).

    So my question is: What is the name of that kind of (MS-DOS) program or is
    there any other way to access My Documents (which are under password).

    It would help me a lot if anybody knows how to solve the problem because in
    there is everything I got on my PC so it's quite important.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    "I.Z." writes:
    > There are some (MS-DOS) programs/(softwers) that are able to read/edit
    > Windows files.
    > I need this because I got My Documents blocked when I reinstaled Windows and
    > it deleted my account (with password) but left My Documents. Now I can't
    > enter My Documents, because computer says Access denied (because of account
    > password).
    >
    > So my question is: What is the name of that kind of (MS-DOS) program or is
    > there any other way to access My Documents (which are under password).
    >
    > It would help me a lot if anybody knows how to solve the problem because in
    > there is everything I got on my PC so it's quite important.

    You don't need additional software.

    As an Administrator, simply access the permissions properties of the
    MyDocuments folder you're trying to access and reset the permission
    such that the current user can read them.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    I can't do that because I got no permission properties. Only what I got
    (when I enter My Documents properties) is 3 tabs: General, Sharing and
    Customize. I don't have any permission properties (or I don't know where to
    search for it) or any reset buttons. Help please!
    "Todd H." wrote in message
    > "I.Z." writes:
    > > There are some (MS-DOS) programs/(softwers) that are able to read/edit
    > > Windows files.
    > > I need this because I got My Documents blocked when I reinstaled Windows

    and
    > > it deleted my account (with password) but left My Documents. Now I can't
    > > enter My Documents, because computer says Access denied (because of

    account
    > > password).
    > >
    > > So my question is: What is the name of that kind of (MS-DOS) program or

    is
    > > there any other way to access My Documents (which are under password).
    > >
    > > It would help me a lot if anybody knows how to solve the problem because

    in
    > > there is everything I got on my PC so it's quite important.

    > You don't need additional software.
    >
    > As an Administrator, simply access the permissions properties of the
    > MyDocuments folder you're trying to access and reset the permission
    > such that the current user can read them.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    "I.Z." writes:
    > I can't do that because I got no permission properties. Only what I got
    > (when I enter My Documents properties) is 3 tabs: General, Sharing and
    > Customize. I don't have any permission properties (or I don't know where to
    > search for it) or any reset buttons. Help please!

    What version of Windows do you have and is your disk FAT or NTFS
    format? Is the current user an Administator?

    To answer your original question, you could boot into a Knoppix live
    CD and read the drive contents that way under that foulder.
    knoppix.org but I suspect there are easier ways within windows that
    haven't yet been exhausted.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    Yes, I'm an administrator type of user, disk is NTFS format and it's Windows
    XP 2002.
    "Todd H." wrote in message
    > "I.Z." writes:
    > > I can't do that because I got no permission properties. Only what I got
    > > (when I enter My Documents properties) is 3 tabs: General, Sharing and
    > > Customize. I don't have any permission properties (or I don't know where

    > > search for it) or any reset buttons. Help please!

    > What version of Windows do you have and is your disk FAT or NTFS
    > format? Is the current user an Administator?
    >
    > To answer your original question, you could boot into a Knoppix live
    > CD and read the drive contents that way under that foulder.
    > knoppix.org but I suspect there are easier ways within windows that
    > haven't yet been exhausted.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    "I.Z." writes:
    > Yes, I'm an administrator type of user, disk is NTFS format and it's Windows
    > XP 2002.

    Hrmm. I have no idea what then is hiding you from setting Permissions
    on that folder. The permissions button should be available to you when
    from explorer your do RMB>properties as an administrator, on an ntfs
    volume, on a win xp box. Is this Home or Pro? That may make a
    difference cus Home is somewhat braindead on certain permissions
    issues IIRC. I only have a win2k box in front of me at present.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    19 Jul 2005 20:56:56 -0500, Todd H. schrob:

    > "I.Z." writes:
    >> Yes, I'm an administrator type of user, disk is NTFS format and it's Windows
    >> XP 2002.

    > Hrmm. I have no idea what then is hiding you from setting Permissions
    > on that folder. The permissions button should be available to you when
    > from explorer your do RMB>properties as an administrator, on an ntfs
    > volume, on a win xp box. Is this Home or Pro? That may make a
    > difference cus Home is somewhat braindead on certain permissions
    > issues IIRC. I only have a win2k box in front of me at present.

    I recently had this, too (XP Pro though). I had to disable the simple file
    sharing under Explorer->options->View. Dunno, if this is the correct
    designation; I have German Windows. Once this had been disabled, I had the
    security property sheet.
    --
    Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

  8. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!!! Frank your way was correct. I had to disable
    simple file sharing!!! Thank you very much, and Todd H. also! Thanks guys, I
    entered in My Documents. Now I can sleep peacefully. )
    "Frank Steinmetzger" <"Warp_7@"@gmx.de> wrote in message
    news:160c25v1exg4j$.1395vf82ec6ey.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > 19 Jul 2005 20:56:56 -0500, Todd H. schrob:
    >
    > > "I.Z." writes:
    > >> Yes, I'm an administrator type of user, disk is NTFS format and it's

    Windows
    > >> XP 2002.

    > > Hrmm. I have no idea what then is hiding you from setting Permissions
    > > on that folder. The permissions button should be available to you when
    > > from explorer your do RMB>properties as an administrator, on an ntfs
    > > volume, on a win xp box. Is this Home or Pro? That may make a
    > > difference cus Home is somewhat braindead on certain permissions
    > > issues IIRC. I only have a win2k box in front of me at present.

    > I recently had this, too (XP Pro though). I had to disable the simple file
    > sharing under Explorer->options->View. Dunno, if this is the correct
    > designation; I have German Windows. Once this had been disabled, I had the
    > security property sheet.
    > --
    > Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
    > "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
    > http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/

  9. Re: Help, software for reading/editing Windows files

    "I.Z." writes:
    > Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!!! Frank your way was correct. I had to disable
    > simple file sharing!!! Thank you very much, and Todd H. also! Thanks guys, I
    > entered in My Documents. Now I can sleep peacefully. )

    Hot damn!

    Now I gotta go figure out what the heck simple file sharing is.
    Haven't spent enough time twiddling with all XP's new features to
    know. Frank, kudos on the silver bullet!

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread