.lnk shortcut problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on .lnk shortcut problem - Microsoft Windows ; I let someone work on my W2K desktop (first problem!). They where changing where a desktop shortcut was pointing. Now all my shortcuts on the entire computer do not work. They all have .lnk after the .exe as is .... ...

  1. .lnk shortcut problem

    I let someone work on my W2K desktop (first problem!). They where changing
    where a desktop shortcut was pointing. Now all my shortcuts on the entire
    computer do not work. They all have .lnk after the .exe as is ....

    explore.exe.lnk
    outlook.exe.lnk
    photoshop.exe.lnk

    He said he was using "Open with" to fix the original problem. Any ideas how
    to correct the problem? Very desperate, Nova

  2. Re: .lnk shortcut problem

    I worry that you state the explorer application file has this .lnk
    extension

    For now for each "shortcut" that is not functioning - and that you need
    now - r click/properties

    Verify the target "the executable file" is shown WITHOUT the .lnk
    extension

    if the .link is shown

    then using windows explorer verify that the exe file is actually
    located in the "C:\program files\Name of program folder\program.exe"
    This path should be exactly the same as the one in the properties
    dialog box when you r clicked

    If you cannot even use explorer goto start/run type "explorer" in the
    box and hit enter - if this does not work you have a major problem.

    once explorer is open:

    Confirm that the .lnk extension is there on the actual file such as
    explorer.exe.lnk if so then you have a system wide problem that will
    take some serious research on my part to figure out. It is possible
    that the Registry has been corrupted with a virus or a simple yet
    deadly mistake by your friend. Do not do anything else to your
    computer to try to fix it for now.

    On the other hand if the .lnk is not shown in the r click properties
    dialog target box. then you should be able to simply rename the
    shortcut. iow remove the .lnk part and click okay.

    let us know

    x->out

+ Reply to Thread