Keys somehow linked together -- very strange - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Keys somehow linked together -- very strange - Microsoft Windows ; Strange as it may seem ... On my laptop, the Ctrl+S and Ctrl+V keystrokes seem to have become linked together. In other words, whenever I press Ctrl+V (to do a paste), the paste happens, but then the Save dialog immediately ...

  1. Keys somehow linked together -- very strange

    Strange as it may seem ...

    On my laptop, the Ctrl+S and Ctrl+V keystrokes seem to
    have become linked together. In other words, whenever
    I press Ctrl+V (to do a paste), the paste happens, but
    then the Save dialog immediately appears, also, indicating
    that the system received a Ctrl+S message. This happens
    in all applications that support these keyboard shortcuts
    (Word, Powerpoint, Notepad, Paint, etc). Similarly, Ctrl+S
    does a Paste and then displays the Save dialog.

    I tried using Spy++ to see hat's happening, and if I'm
    reading the output correctly, it does seem that pressing
    one key combo also generates the other. Output below.

    Any idea what's happening ?? Keyboard hardware problem,
    maybe ?? No other keys seem to be affected, and the S
    and V keys by themselves seem to work fine.

    thanks

    bk

    #####################################

    Output from Spy++ (reformatted a little for easier reading)

    I just pressed Ctrl+V in Paint ...

    <00011> 00060304 P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_CONTROL cRepeat:1 ScanCode:1D
    fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:0 fUp:0 [wParam:00000011
    lParam:001D0001]

    <00012> 00060304 P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:'V'cRepeat:1
    ScanCode:2F fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:0 fUp:0 [wParam:00000056
    lParam:002F0001]

    <00013> 00060304 P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:'S' cRepeat:1
    ScanCode:1F fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:0 fUp:0 [wParam:00000053
    lParam:001F0001]

  2. Re: Keys somehow linked together -- very strange

    My first guess is that you have some macros enabled that you may have
    built, while using the macro the information was recorded causing the
    keystroke to actually perform the macro which has perhaps several
    commands linked by it. In word you should be able to disable macros,
    try that.

    The other possibility is there is a virus that affects macros or loads
    a macro. Do a virus update shut down all programs including some in
    the tasktray and then scan your system.

    reboot

    try to repeat the issue.

    If you still have the problem my next guess is that you have an active
    x control or script being run. If your anti-x-ware program has a
    adware and spyware scanner then make sure all of the features are on,
    re-check the updates then scan again.

    If it is still happening then go here Spywarewarrior.com it is a forum
    that helps people - I used to volunteer there excellent results though
    the people can appear passive aggressive and cold or narcisistic -
    basically extreme geeks with low human skills. Download a program from
    there called HijackThis follow the directions exactly. Then post your
    log file to that site - some one will help you - it is sometimes slow
    for a response due to heavy volumes at times of virus outbreaks and
    such. You will not be disappointed for your patience.

+ Reply to Thread